• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Force vs Crusaders @ NIB Stadium - 2011R11

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Maroon Army

Classy mate. SBW is one of the best rugby players in the world, and his defensive and offensive work last night was first class.

Read better next time. I'm not doubting his talent but his continual dog acts every game are unnecessary. What, aren't outsiders allowed to call him on his gutless shoulder charges?

He's a mutt and a yellow card liability.

Slash

Bill Watson (15)
I thought the match was fantastic. And went down the wire despite the 'Saders being in front by 12. Completely enthralling game that I could not walk away from. Congrats to both teams. The snore-a-thon before it was a clear example of why rugby will never be embraced by the masses in this country. I would rather stick knitting needles in my eyes than watch the Tahs again.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Read better next time. I'm not doubting his talent but his continual dog acts every game are unnecessary. What, aren't outsiders allowed to call him on his gutless shoulder charges?

He's a mutt and a yellow card liability.

Why don't you list some of these "continued dog acts" so we can discuss them in more detail? I have every 2011 Crusaders game saved on my Foxtel IQ so would be happy to go back and have a look at some of these acts of foul play. SBW has been extremely clean this seaon, and despite your claim that he is a yellow card liability, funnily enough he is yet to recieve one. I can't even remember a warning for foul play, but I am happy to stand corrected if you can be a bit more specific rather than simply posting generalisations and personal insults about the player.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I thought the match was fantastic. And went down the wire despite the 'Saders being in front by 12. Completely enthralling game that I could not walk away from. Congrats to both teams. The snore-a-thon before it was a clear example of why rugby will never be embraced by the masses in this country. I would rather stick knitting needles in my eyes than watch the Tahs again.

It was a great match, and as you say enthralling to the end. Both teams deserve credit for the attitude they brought into the game. I really like the Force. They are a genuine underdog, whose total is seemingly always greater than the sum of its parts. People go on about the brave and courageous Rebels (and I'm not bagging the Rebels) but the Force have shown that degree of bravery and ethusiasm for years.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
That was definitely one of the most exciting games oftbe year. Some of the plays were just enjoyable to watch.

Thought Flynn's try was maybe a penalty; if he is touched on the ground he has to release. Bit of a line ball decision. Anyway the Saders were always looking like they had the game in hand and sealed it a minute or two later anyway.

Really enjoyed both teams throwing it around. If some teams choose to play like that against the Force then they better be prepared to get some points put on them.

Shame David Smith is off next year.

And SBW is class on the field with some excellent touches. His work at the ruck to protect Saders ball is pretty good too. Best than most other Union backs so pretty damn good for a convert.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
It was a great match, and as you say enthralling to the end. Both teams deserve credit for the attitude they brought into the game. I really like the Force. They are a genuine underdog, whose total is seemingly always greater than the sum of its parts. People go on about the brave and courageous Rebels (and I'm not bagging the Rebels) but the Force have shown that degree of bravery and ethusiasm for years.

:lmao::lmao: From my experience reading your contributions on PR I'd never have guessed.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
That was definitely one of the most exciting games oftbe year. Some of the plays were just enjoyable to watch.

Thought Flynn's try was maybe a penalty; if he is touched on the ground he has to release. Bit of a line ball decision. Anyway the Saders were always looking like they had the game in hand and sealed it a minute or two later anyway.

Really enjoyed both teams throwing it around. If some teams choose to play like that against the Force then they better be prepared to get some points put on them.

Shame David Smith is off next year.

And SBW is class on the field with some excellent touches. His work at the ruck to protect Saders ball is pretty good too. Best than most other Union backs so pretty damn good for a convert.

This is a very good point. I watched SBW very closely last night, and his preparedness to commit his body to rucks, either to secure his own team's ball or too try and counter-ruck, was very impressive. It was better than it's been all season. Even his body position looks to have improved markedly in this facet of play. I wonder if he's been watching Reuben Thorne at training this week, because this was always one of Throne's stronger features of his play. Whatever the reason behind this improvement in ruck play, SBW and the Crusaders coaching staff deserve some credit for the obvious improvement.

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
I only understand what is being said on sbw from the one shoulder on JOC (James O'Connor). It was the hit on JOC (James O'Connor) when he passed the ball too charles that led too sheps try. The hit was defiantly not late and apart from that 1 hit I think sbw has done really well in changing his tackling technique from league.

Sbw is an exstrordanary athlete and saying dog acts is ridiculous.

The one thing I think everyone needs too remember is that JOC (James O'Connor) is carrying an injury. That's the reason he is unable too take all the kicks. In the game he often looked in discomfort but he still gave 100 percent. Full credit too him.

Go the force!!!!

R

RuckinGoodStats

Statistically only 3% of the world pro rugby union kickers could have landed the same 5 kicks James O'Connor vs Crusaders.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
As in the early games of the season, JOC (James O'Connor)'s accurate kicking is keeping the Force in games and masking their inability to consistently break the line. That's not a complaint, but something the Force need to be accutely aware of if we lose JOC (James O'Connor). Luckily we have Ripia as back up, he would be the first choice kicker in the majority of other Super teams.

I thought SBW's bump on JOC (James O'Connor) was a touch late and he didn't really get his arms into it, only his chest (not his shoulder). I would be dissapointed to see that penalised. I wouldn't rate SBW as a dirty player at all. He knows where the line is and is brilliant at playing close to the line, but not crossing it.

farva

Vay Wilson (31)
I dont think the tackle on FLynn was an issue. He was ankle tapped, stumbled, but there was no-one there to lay the tackle when he was on the ground.
The bigger question was the tackle on SBW a few seconds earlier. That was the same thing as Cummins penalty. But no matter, the score stands.

I thought the reffing wasn't too bad last night, and the game was great!

The Force let themselves down in the first 15 and you cant give the Crusaders a start like that. And the quality of the benches showed through late. With the Force tiring after defending so much at the start, the superior Sadists bench ran all over them.

Still gutted we lost that one though.

Oh, and NZ seems to have found Richies replacement. Matt Todd is a great talent!

Shiggins

Steve Williams (59)
Just watched the game again. The completed tackle area has been refereed all over the show this year. Vinnie is not the first too have reffed this part of the game like this this year.

Also on a bit of a funny note. I would of liked too of seen a penalty at the end for obstruction as sbw and fotialili had a kiss and a force player tried too tackle him and sbw was in the way. Haha.

Go the force!!!!

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
What stood out for me in this game was the defensive realignment of the Crusaders. Four players back to field kicks through. They then attacked at pace with offloading opportunities to their multiple options. COntrast this with all the Oz sides who have at best two players back to receive any kick through. They will field the ball and maybe run a few metres if they are outside the 22 and then kick again.

This invariably led to a further kick by the opposition which met with a loose forward covering back for the Oz side as the FB and winger had chased the first kick.

My point is that our kicking accuracy is very poor. They do not set to return the ball through running so the opposition is easily able to set to receive a kick return and then run it back maintaining possession.

The Tahs game is a great example, between Burgess and Beale the amount of terribly executed kicks in the one game against the Rebels would equal the poor kicks from a Crusaders season. The skills execution was shocking. Barnes showed great tactical kicking skills, but given that Burgess and Beale kicked everything away I was sick and tired of seeing the tahs kick on the first or 2nd phase every single time.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
I dont think the tackle on FLynn was an issue. He was ankle tapped, stumbled, but there was no-one there to lay the tackle when he was on the ground.
The bigger question was the tackle on SBW a few seconds earlier. That was the same thing as Cummins penalty. But no matter, the score stands.

I thought the reffing wasn't too bad last night, and the game was great!

The Force let themselves down in the first 15 and you cant give the Crusaders a start like that. And the quality of the benches showed through late. With the Force tiring after defending so much at the start, the superior Sadists bench ran all over them.

Still gutted we lost that one though.

Oh, and NZ seems to have found Richies replacement. Matt Todd is a great talent!

Agree with all of that. Vinnies mistake was a bummer, but on the flip side he showed a willingness to penalise the saders at the breakdown I have rarely seen before. If it was any other Ref the saders would have likely won by more.

Newb

Trevor Allan (34)
the only thing i can recall sbw doing this season that was questionable was his hit on kankowski of the sharks. at least he'll front up to people. i'd love for quade to have that much commitment to any tackle. it's going to far to call him cheap or a dog though.

[video=youtube;bEhYDnnPz2g]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEhYDnnPz2g[/video]

G

GC

I'm more concerned about which ever of the Franks brothers leads with his head every tackle than SBW. Franks' upright but head forward tackling technique means his head is aimed at his opponent's jaw far too often. Don't know if there's a law against it but it is very dangerous.

Ali's Choice

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I'm more concerned about which ever of the Franks brothers leads with his head every tackle than SBW. Franks' upright but head forward tackling technique means his head is aimed at his opponent's jaw far too often. Don't know if there's a law against it but it is very dangerous.

I think you're being a little dramatic suggesting that Owen Franks leads with his head in "every tackle". Owen Franks has had two head clashes this season, and one was because a Bulls player was pushed into him by another Bulls player as they were running in tandem as the Bulls forwards tend to do.

disco

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'll start with a whinge & that was Munro letting both SBW & Chicken Wing Flynn both get up & play on after being tackled & still having a hand on them. Probably wouldn't have warranted a mention other than Nick Cummins was penalised for the same offence no less then 20 minutes earlier

JOC (James O'Connor) next time you pick up SBW don't bring him down lightly just because he has released the ball as he wouldn't do the same for you, drive him like you did Kirchner.

Pocock is a machine looked rusty early on but really started to get going in the 2nd half.

The Crusaders are brilliant to watch really enjoyed watching Zac Guilford & Israel Dagg in the 1st half & it's scary to think that neither are 1st choice All Blacks in their chosen positions although I think Dagg will be putting the pressure on Mils big time.

SBW is classy I can't see Nonu holding his black # 12 jersey going on super rugby form.

Crockett is a hard nut as well he's probably played 2nd fiddle to the Franks brothers in the media but I personally think he's just a little bit better than those two ATM.

Gagger

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Staff member
Interesting that despite going into the game with a 'kick and control' gameplan, the Force got totally sucked into the helter skelter Cru pattern. I don't think teams can help themselves

I like Vinnie as a ref (partly because his name is Vinnie) and thought he had a great game apart from that try. It started with making Sheehan feed the ball when the scrum wasn't stable (which he hadn't enforced on the Saders earlier) resulting in the tight head, and then the two "not helds".

Status
Not open for further replies.