• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Her interviews are so fucking awkward and she clearly knows jack about rugby. While interviewing Hugh Roach she askes "whos your man crush?" to which he replies "Jed Gillespie" and gives a little spiel as why, to which she replies "well I hope he sees this", Hugh follows it up by saying "his right there" motioning just beyond the camera frame. Bitch doesn't even know the rams squad or what players she was there to interview!!

Give me her bloody job, may not be as pretty but at least I know my rugby!!

RugbyFuture

Lord Logo
the second slogan isn't her, its the boss, they were coming up with it a while back.

She's ex fox sports league and changed because she figured out there were no international career opportunities in rugby league.

Shes working for free becaus the org won't pay anyone on the admin side and she came in to the organisation for the sevens they're staging pre-game which is run by two people currently being investigated for various indescretions, rumour has it.

(disclaimer - not all things are verified)

Cattledog

Sydney Middleton (9)
Considering his startling lack of popularity perhaps they should keep that photo under wraps.

Let's start a caption competition-

"It's this simple I just blow this horn and you end up in offshore processing!"

or

"Well I'll have a go but as a former SUFC frontrower it's a bit more curved than what I'm used to!"

or

"An ancient Jewish musical instrument normally blown before battle (you say) this will certainly show I'm on no one's side in the Gaza conflict!"

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I don't like the #GetRammed hashtag either, I prefer #RamEm or something similar. Simpler, less sexual connotations (though it does look more like ramen).

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Maybe this is more of what they should be going for?

465790-benn-robinson.jpg

Put your hand up if you want to #getrammed

benn_robinson_N2.jpg

Wanna #getrammed ?

I like it actually, even if sarcasm was intended.

2bluesfan

Nev Cottrell (35)
I prefer #RamEm or something similar. Simpler, less sexual connotations (though it does look more like ramen).
Nothing wrong with ramen :)

But seriously, I agree. In my previous posts about the Rams/RAMS I have expressed some disquiet as to how they are going about things but I have wished them well, and still do. But, heck, this fan engagement strategy is ...... just not engaging me. Nor anyone I have spoken to about it. Could be my demographic though.

Done that

Ron Walden (29)
Facetious statement.

I am in complete agreement with A model, and getting the fuck on with making it work.

You can block your ears and say "Western Sydney is getting ripped off!" repeatedly until you are blue in the face; it will not change the reality that while this can help the uplift of rugby out here, it is more important that it help the uplift of rugby nationwide.

There are some Western Force fans who are going off the fucking deep end about how the Tahs get all the money and WA gets nothing. I ask "but without the contribution NSW makes to rugby, no-one gets anything?".

So it is - at present - with the rugby heartland in the Eastern Suburbs. If the best players are all moving out of certain clubs, as you point out:

Then we accept that player movement is a natural occurrence of wanting to play at a successful club, and gratifying that you've been identified to do so.

If the Rams can build a successful team with a hard working back office, then in future years, the recruitment policy will allow for more localised selection.

You simply cannot build it in a day, and if you're not going to play the long game on this one, you might as well exclude yourself because you're not part of the solution.
1.Not "Facetious",it's "Irony".
2.You're in agreement with"A model" ? Presumably any model.
Why not attempt to obtain the best model possible,& try to make THAT model work,logically with the best outcome?
3.In your post above #394, you complain about the frustration you have experienced with your involvement in Rugby in western Sydney,about being the poor relation relative to other regions,
& poor treatment of the West by governing bodies, yet you are quite happy to accept the continuance of this situation as evidenced in the current RAMS team,with the strange belief that
it will all be O.K. sometime in the future.
Logically why will it be better if the Wests supporters passively accept more of the same?
Lay back & think of mother England comes to mind.

Also,

4.Why do you believe that success of the RAMS ,& success of Rugby in the Western Sydney clubs is somehow mutually exclusive?
Why can't success of both entities occur at the same time.Surely success of Rugby in the West would enhance the likelihood of success with the RAMS team & so on up the ladder.
5.Yes players ,when they move to another club,usually do move to what they perceive is a more successful club.
Unfortunately most player movements in recent years,are mostly in one direction, i.e. away from the clubs in the West & I cannot see any reason now, why this will change,& what
may be more likely,i.e. even more players will join the exodus.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
2.You're in agreement with"A model" ? Presumably any model.
Why not attempt to obtain the best model possible,& try to make THAT model work,logically with the best outcome?

Because this IS the best model available within the constraints (time and effort), as evidenced by the fact it is off the ground and flying.

Have you ever worked in project management? Sit around a table with 5 different people and ask them all how something should be done - you won't get the same answer 5 times.

You have a deadline, you work towards it, and you try your best to satisfy the goal. That's all you can do. Once you establish the outcome, you run through the next iteration to improve it, after learning the lessons.

As they say: experience is something you get only after you need it.

3.In your post above #394, you complain about the frustration you have experienced with your involvement in Rugby in western Sydney,about being the poor relation relative to other regions,
& poor treatment of the West by governing bodies, yet you are quite happy to accept the continuance of this situation as evidenced in the current RAMS team,with the strange belief that
it will all be O.K. sometime in the future.
Logically why will it be better if the Wests supporters passively accept more of the same?
Lay back & think of mother England comes to mind.

I'm quite happy to accept the status quo because I believe it can be built on. Premier Rugby is fucked - utterly, Utterly, FUCKED. Being dictated to by a bunch of wankers boils my piss no end. I get enough of that at work! But Shute Shield and Brisbane Premier Rugby have not grown their ability to deliver ready talent like the ITM Cup and Currie Cup have - that's why we're even talking about the NRC.

I'm playing the long game. You don't win a war in the first battle; you win it with victory in the last. I'm realistic enough to realise that winners are grinners, and if we don't get this going with whatever cards are dealt, we're destined to drive it into the ground and repeat the mistakes of the past.

Are you saying you would rather see Greater Sydney NOT have a team in the comp because you don't think its all it can be? Because it has flaws? Because the players aren't all exclusively from west of the M3?

What you're saying, in effect, is that you're perfectly happy to cut off your nose to spite your face.

4.Why do you believe that success of the RAMS ,& success of Rugby in the Western Sydney clubs is somehow mutually exclusive?
Why can't success of both entities occur at the same time.Surely success of Rugby in the West would enhance the likelihood of success with the RAMS team & so on up the ladder.

The two factors aren't mutually exclusive. I never said they were.

If the Rams aren't successful, most of the clubs associated with the venture will continue to languish in the bottom half of the table - in fact that would be the case in perpetuity if the NRC doesn't go ahead.

But what is your plan for making the clubs successful in order to support the Rams? Because it hasn't worked for the last 20 years and I don't think the other variables are about to change.

Penrith propping up the table isn't going away any time soon for the reasons we've already discussed i.e. talented players at poor clubs get hoovered up by rich clubs. Parramatta will threaten occasionally, but flicker. The Pirates and Rebels are mid-table finishers with the occasional great performance like 2013, but ultimately no-one is going to win the competition in front of Sydney Uni with things the way they are.

Rugby needs to grow its presence in Sydney outside of the eastern suburbs - I think we can all agree on that. The Rams can give rugby a point of presence to focus the supporter base in order to help generate more support for rugby. Not just the Rams: RUGBY.

The success of the Rams allows us to start tapping into the talent that Western Sydney grows both within and outside of rugby. Once it is decided as a clear pathway to representation, and not a poor cousin to rugby league or the eastern suburbs and north shore Shute Shield clubs, then momentum can start to build.

But you can't necessarily maintain it with a 9-week competition. I'm thinking beyond this year, and unfortunately - realising I will cop a LOT of shit for this - I can't see Premier Rugby in its current form surviving an expansion of the NRC in future.

This is the natural consequence of the 3rd tier being so important for rugby nationally. It will become a feeder system and clubs will decide how they go up against that. Overall, with clubs like Uni putting their focus into the more prestigious competition, it will help equalise the Premier Rugby situation for the 4th tier.

When this happens, the NRC season runs in parallel with Premier Rugby, and the competition expands. Eventually we have the Greater Sydney Rams gravitate into Western Sydney proper, and other ventures can start up. This isn't the final destination - its a journey.

5.Yes players ,when they move to another club,usually do move to what they perceive is a more successful club.
Unfortunately most player movements in recent years,are mostly in one direction, i.e. away from the clubs in the West & I cannot see any reason now, why this will change,& what
may be more likely,i.e. even more players will join the exodus.

Taking this point with the one above:

Please point out the positives in the club rugby system as it exists right now, in terms of adequately promoting Greater Sydney talent within its own clubs and not as recruitment centres for richer clubs.

Frame this answer in the current position of Penrith and Parramatta on the ladder, and their recent history at facing the rest of the competition. Ensure at all times you keep in mind what I assume is your selection policy; that equal representation is guaranteed (and therefore discriminatory against the working conditions i.e. being the best player).

I would imagine that you consider it a condition of Eastwood's participation that they have a MAXIMUM of 4 players in the match day XXIII, given they're providing no financial backing, despite their team currently running 2nd in Shute Shield. Please confirm that point in your discussion.

Then let me know how you're going to be competitive against the following conglomerates:

- Sydney Uni and Balmain (the two richest clubs in Sydney, with the best facilities)
- Easts, Randwick, and "Country"
- Manly, Warringah, Norths, and Gordon
- sole city teams like Melbourne, Perth, and UC Vikings, with their squads heavily laden with Super Rugby players.

You tell me which players are going to deliver that equity using this magical understanding under which you and the other naysayers are operating.

I'll be fascinated to hear it.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Her interviews are so fucking awkward and she clearly knows jack about rugby. While interviewing Hugh Roach she askes "whos your man crush?" to which he replies "Jed Gillespie" and gives a little spiel as why, to which she replies "well I hope he sees this", Hugh follows it up by saying "his right there" motioning just beyond the camera frame. Bitch doesn't even know the rams squad or what players she was there to interview!!

Give me her bloody job, may not be as pretty but at least I know my rugby!!
I think there are things that can be criticised about the approach but I think you're way over the mark here.

The Rams have had more social media presence than just about all the non super rugby aligned teams put together.

If you want a short term, low paid job promoting a fledgling sporting team that has to deal with a barrage of negativity in response then I'm sure you can find an opportunity somewhere.

Half of what people complain about with rugby is that it's a bunch of old private school wankers doing the same thing they've been doing for the last 30 years wondering why their popularity is dwindling.

Thebank2014

Allen Oxlade (6)
I think there are things that can be criticised about the approach but I think you're way over the mark here.

The Rams have had more social media presence than just about all the non super rugby aligned teams put together.

If you want a short term, low paid job promoting a fledgling sporting team that has to deal with a barrage of negativity in response then I'm sure you can find an opportunity somewhere.

Half of what people complain about with rugby is that it's a bunch of old private school wankers doing the same thing they've been doing for the last 30 years wondering why their popularity is dwindling.

I just think WTF is going on. Why criticise every little thing this team and management is doing. We are lucky to get the competition, support the team and the young guys playing. Don't pick it to pieces and be silly about it.
Go the RAMS

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I just think WTF is going on. Why criticise every little thing this team and management is doing. We are lucky to get the competition, support the team and the young guys playing. Don't pick it to pieces and be silly about it.
Go the RAMS
It seems there are plenty of people who can't get past the fact that this is not a grade rugby rep team or a Super Rugby feeder team but a brand new competition that involves players from both areas.

Rugby fans just need to pick the team or team that is local to them and makes sense to follow and support it.

Too many Rams fans are focusing on the club the players come from and say it doesn't represent them (particularly those from Western Sydney) rather than thinking that the NRC is starting and we've got a team and they're playing at Parramatta Stadium.

Thebank2014

Allen Oxlade (6)
It seems there are plenty of people who can't get past the fact that this is not a grade rugby rep team or a Super Rugby feeder team but a brand new competition that involves players from both areas.

Rugby fans just need to pick the team or team that is local to them and makes sense to follow and support it.

Too many Rams fans are focusing on the club the players come from and say it doesn't represent them (particularly those from Western Sydney) rather than thinking that the NRC is starting and we've got a team and they're playing at Parramatta Stadium.

Acting like spoilt brats. Obviously this comp isn't going to perfect in the first year but the shit I am reading on here is pathetic. Lots of keyboard warriors

I'm excited for the comp.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
@braveheart

I'm sorry but how did I possibly go over the mark there?

Doing social media is all well and good but if you aren't engaging with your audience it's pointless. Now the mere fact that we are discussing it is evidence enough, I believe, that there is some sort of problem. You don't see this sort of criticism levelled at any super rugby, nrl or afl franchise. Sure this is a step down but it's supposed to be a semi-pro competition. It's not hard to do the simple things right like spell players name right in their profiles, know the squad you are supposed to be interviewing, interview celebrities that are either relevant to rugby, the area or at least well liked individuals that aren't going to divide opinion and have a slogan that doesn't use the word "pretty" (like seriously what they actual f@$k)

Apparently these people are not from a rugby background and you know what, IT SHOWS

Like seriously this is bread and butter shit, it isn't that hard to get it right

And this is in no way related to the team itself, have no problem with the players selected like some other people do (although I guess ideally a few more parra and wests players would be nice)

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
It's not hard to do the simple things right like spell players name right in their profiles
You've missed an apostrophe.
(seriously what they actual f@$k)
Looks like there's an extra "y" in there. Is it too hard to type a comma? What about a question mark?

;) I'm sure we all make the odd mistake so forget about these minor issues. They'll be fixed soon enough.

A lot of the people doing much of the work behind the scenes aren't getting paid much, if at all. The competition was started at short notice and it has to run on the smell of an oily rag. The outcome, though, is that we'll get to see a better standard of rugby than the existing club competitions.

I like it already!

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Don't be such a dick

Slight difference between a rugby forum speaking as myself as opposed to representing a semi-pro sports team...but I guess if I need to point that out to you, you may have bigger problems to worry about

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
So many negative people on this thread. I can't wait to see the rams in action and watch them play good rugby. I can see a lot of the haters eating their words at the end of the season. It's a great team. Good luck rams

I think there's some misreading here, I don't see anybody that's doubted their performance.
Hell, the set up is probably the best of the Sydney sides, who all have a pretty difficult proposition considering they're not being babied by their Unions as much.

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
I get what you're saying Kiap, but professional writing and jotting stuff down on a forum are chalk and cheese.

Some of the comms work being done is sub standard, even for media interns.