• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Western Sydney Rams . NRC Official Team Thread

GunnerDownUnder

Jim Clark (26)
A lot of negativity and I am going to add to it

Firstly some positivity though
We have a team that can be moulded over time to possibly be the franchise we all wanted
Our squad may be light on some club players but it's a very competitive squad
The rams are already an identity what other clubs are

However
I got my membership - no charge
I got a season pass

Season pass is a single paper ticket
To be retained for all games
No member ticket or anything
Charge me something and give me something to show others
Bar code will be lost by game four for sure!

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
Guys people are talking about them more than any other team.
Brand Awareness metric achieved.
Engagement Score metrics achieved.
Share of Voice metrics achieved.
Well done to them

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
I just don't understand how it can be a good thing to be the franchise with the highest number of supporters being critical of their efforts thus far.

The vocal few are hear having a whinge...
Remember the golden rule....
Of their supporters 90% of them will never say anything on line about them but will read. 9% will read and comment. 1% will create unique content about them

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
Guys people are talking about them more than any other team.
Brand Awareness metric achieved.
Engagement Score metrics achieved.
Share of Voice metrics achieved.
Well done to them

I'm not disagreeing but here's the thing, media teams use those metrics because they're easy to track and easy to label as 'successful' without the campaign really having to be all that successful. The fact is nobody worth their salt operates under the 'any publicity is good publicity' anymore.
It doesn't matter if you've got 500 people following you, with 10 of them baying for blood on every post, if the majority feel like you're missing the point. I'd say from a comms perspective, they're missing the point that your aforementioned 90% are looking for.
Now, will this affect crowds? I don't think overly so, with a comp like this the diehards that were always going to go will go anyway but I don't think the comms strategy is hitting the right notes.
I'd go so far to label their social media unprofessional, I mean if you can find me a well run professional sports team where the media manager puts their mug in anywhere near as many photos or videos as the Rams and I'll eat my hat.
Hell, there's a reason that if you look at most professional team's youtube channels they have players (like the Honeybadger) interviewing other players, it's because it's ON BRAND.
The Western Sydney comms strategy, whilst certainly more widespread that the other stand alones (and I take my hat off to them for that), is a mess IMO.
Feel free to disagree but I'm not speaking out of my ass here.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
My comments wasn't about the content or the execution. I know what the Board will be looking at and they will be looking at Bang for Buck. Lots' of Bang for $0 = Win for the directors.
Thats why I said well done to them

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)
My comments wasn't about the content or the execution. I know what the Board will be looking at and they will be looking at Bang for Buck. Lots' of Bang for $0 = Win for the directors.
Thats why I said well done to them

Well yes, that's true.
I will say though that the board have a 'one family' matra that they use often. Do you feel like the social content or execution is really on brand?

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)
One family and #GetRammed don't really mix. Put it that way

Sent from my GT-I9505 using Tapatalk

en_force_er

Geoff Shaw (53)

Exactly, really great organisations have a thread that goes from top to bottom that is obvious in every action the organisation takes.
Now, it's easy to say 'well these guys work for free' but their career is literally standing on brand, so they mustn't be doing a very good job.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Those strategies do appear to be at odds with each other.

But if you position yourself purely as a family club, you're setting an unrealistic expectation in a market that will rely on people looking for a night out as an event.

I take my kids to the rugby and they just sit there on their iPads - so fuck those guys!

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)

Why? I think you're over analysing. Get Rammed is really not that edgy, it's just a bit of fun. And one family has lots of meanings.

The majority of the Rams social media work has been good in my opinion. Most importantly, it isn't boring! Last post giving away 2 free tickets to the first person to successfully predict the captain is a winner.

And yes, the media girl has been using the job to give herself a little publicity, no doubt. But if she's doing it for free I don't think it's completely unreasonable. Plus she's definitely out there pushing the Rams brand. People that are whinging about her should give her the benefit of the doubt and lighten up a bit.

HorseSizedDuck

Peter Burge (5)
Why? I think you're over analysing. Get Rammed is really not that edgy, it's just a bit of fun. And one family has lots of meanings.

The majority of the Rams social media work has been good in my opinion. Most importantly, it isn't boring! Last post giving away 2 free tickets to the first person to successfully predict the captain is a winner.

And yes, the media girl has been using the job to give herself a little publicity, no doubt. But if she's doing it for free I don't think it's completely unreasonable. Plus she's definitely out there pushing the Rams brand. People that are whinging about her should give her the benefit of the doubt and lighten up a bit.

That's it fellas... lock up the thread!

the Decision has been made!

:p

Can we move onto a question like do you think with all the other clubs around, will the RAMs will actually be successful on the field?

I have a gut feeling with all the Super Rugby players for the interstate teams (IE rebels are basically the rising and the same with the force and bumbles). We won't do so well.

So much so, I think the country teams and the rams team will be at the wooden end of the ladder to be honest... Thoughts, anyone?

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Can we move onto a question like do you think with all the other clubs around, will the RAMs will actually be successful on the field?

I have a gut feeling with all the Super Rugby players for the interstate teams (IE rebels are basically the rising and the same with the force and bumbles). We won't do so well.

So much so, I think the country teams and the rams team will be at the wooden end of the ladder to be honest. Thoughts, anyone?

I'm unsure. The non NSW/QLD teams will have more existing combinations but on the other hand the club players brought in for Melbourne, Canberra and Perth will be a lot weaker. How this all balances out is difficult to predict. If a team like Perth stays injury free they'll be very strong but a few injuries could hurt them a lot.

But I don't like to sit on the fence. I think NSW Country will come last, Rams will be mid table and Perth or Brisbane City will win.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

So much so, I think the country teams and the rams team will be at the wooden end of the ladder to be honest. Thoughts, anyone?

Your comment re Super Rugby players is not really on the mark for the Brumbies/UC Vikings. With a large component of the Brumbies making up the Wallabies and with so many of their reserve and wider squad members leaving or injured, there wont be nearly as many Super Rugby players in the Vikings lineup as there will be in the Rising or Perth teams. Probably no more than will be in each of the Reds' teams, but I'd guess more than most of the Sydney based teams will have.

I have faith nonetheless that the Vikings, even with a majority of local JID players will be very competitive and expect them to be near the lead when the whips are cracking.

Teams to beat will be Perth and Melbourne. From Sydney, the Rays will be strong and I'd never discount the Stars. I have an uneasy feeling that the Brisbane teams will have seasons a bit like the Reds this year. Can't wait for it all to get going.