• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What is the Best Internet Site to Watch Live Rugby??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
There's no reason to associate streaming with illlegality now that there are plenty of legal services. We should be enthusiastic to promote them here.

I have Foxtel for Xbox which has been previously discussed. The disadvantages of this are the relatively high cost ($10 a month for Xbox Live Gold + $20 for Foxtel + $30 for the sports package) and also the quality - it streams at SD only. The advantages are no contracts so you can have it for the duration of the rugby season, and no installation or set top box costs.

On my 20Mbps Bigpond cable there's no lag.

In the next month or so there'll be Foxtel play which will stream to PCs using the same technology and may include an HD option.
Any idea about the price for this service? Very interested indeed.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
$50 a month for SD streaming? That's absolutely brutal.

It is. But in my case I can't get Foxtel until the body corporate removes the asbestos from my building's central cavity, so it's a useful stopgap. If the new service includes HD then I'll probably keep using it. Hopefully market forces will drive the price down.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Probably the wrong thread but ABC iView has the 1989 Lions tests available for the next 2 weeks.

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)
Regarding Foxtel, I also cannot get foxtel due to the BC not willing to fund the Foxtel installation. I can fully sympathise, those thieves at Foxtel are asking for $40k from the BC to get Foxtel connected, which is an insane amount fo cable a 15 year old building.

My alternative was to get Foxtel for Samsung Smart TVs.

My findings?

Complete and utter waste of money unless you want sport. Even then, hard to justify thanks to Foxtel being such bastards.

Three main reasons:

1) Poor streaming quality (forever buffering in peak hours).

During the day, you can watch it all you want in high quality mode. At night, it all goes to crap and buffers every 10 - 15 seconds. I can watch Netflix (a US service) at night without any quality issues, but not Foxtel (an Australian service).

This made the rugby practically unwatchable. I switched off Fox coverage before the Lions test even got near to starting out of sheer frustration.

Watching Super Rugby I have no choice but to suffer through the buffering every 10 - 20 seconds, even in low quality mode. It makes watching games as enjoying as sticking knitting needles into my eyeballs.

I initially intended to complain to Foxtel, until I read a thread on Whirlpool of users who had complained. Foxtel deny everything, telling each customer that "they are the only complaint they have received". Foxtel also make you reset everything to factory default before even trying to work with you, including TV, router, and so on. Now I am so demoralised I can't even be bothered contact them to complain and am keenly awaiting the end of rugby season to cancel this cancer of a service.

2) Foxtel just don't get how a real streaming model should work.

Nothing, NOTHING, for me is on demand. It's a streaming service, and all I can watch are a couple of set channels. I don't even get the +2 channels! They have also replaced the halfway decent Lifestyle channel with the totally crap and useless Lifestyle YOU channel.

3) Price.

So how much do I pay for this poor quality, restricted service? An insane $50 a month. In constrast, Netflix is a whole $8 a month and on demand. As soon as the rugby season finishes, I am cancelling my account with some joy.

All round, the Samsung TV Foxtel service is utter rubbish and I cannot recommend it to anyone in its current state. Without question, the market is there for a streaming product, but Foxtel have it so, so, so wrong.

The funny part is, in my old place I could get Foxtel, and thus had a Foxtel Go account. It actually wasn't that bad, with some content being available on demand, and other content (like sports) being able to be watching like on TV.

With this (Foxtel on Smart TVs) abortion of a product, Foxtel are pretty much providing low quality TV over the internet at high prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.