• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What is wrong with the Tahs

Status
Not open for further replies.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
This is a complete non issue, Kearns backs the Tahs, Kafe backs the brumbies, marto the reds, cannon the force and there yet to find someone to openly back the rebels but my guess is frier will take the mantle soon. The color commentary is intentionally biased.

All these guys have relationships, opinions, opportunity and roles in different organizations, non of it is a conflict to describing a game.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
Although I agree, I would probably equate Kearns to Greg Martin moreso... who makes some incredibly retarded, and quite often unprofessional statements in the heat of his Queensland love...
but thats ok with me, as long as you have an obviously biased person counteracting the stupid comments. I quite like having Kearns/Martin in a Reds v Tahs game, but if you only have one then it seems wrong.

Lets face it, at least we are not talking about Jeremy pauls talents with the microphone

boyo

Mark Ella (57)
Quotation from David Gallop "the game (NRL) is well-regarded in Australian sport, on and off the field"

I laughed when I heard that.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
Fuck me. Who gives a shit if the commentators are biased or have ties to teams? That's what happens when you put ex-players in the bloody box.

Next we'll be hearing calls for neutral commentators. Let's get some Ukrainians over to call the games. Then everything will be above board.

Schadenfreude

John Solomon (38)
Fuck me. Who gives a shit if the commentators are biased or have ties to teams? That's what happens when you put ex-players in the bloody box.

Next we'll be hearing calls for neutral commentators. Let's get some Ukrainians over to call the games. Then everything will be above board.
Eddie McGuire or Ray Hadley?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
I wonder if Foxsports, the people who pay their salaries would be as forgiving if they believed (which would be reasonable IMO) that Kafer, Kearns and Horan) resiled from critical comment about aspects of the teams with which they have official non-disclosed relationships with.

I will draw a direct parrallel here, all the lawyers and politicians in England desperately trying to end Gordon Brown's career over his relationship with Uncle Rupert should have no concerns. Uncle Rupert of course would report with his usual bias and no input from Gordon would change that.

Perception is very important in all things. The fact is that, maybe not with some people here, but with a vast number of fans who do not inhabit boards such as these what an official commentator says on a matter leads them along those lines. Kafer and Kearns refusal to offer any real negative comment on the Tahs or the woeful decline in their support base will offer tacit support for Foley and by extension their own positions as "advisors".

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is wrong with the Tahs?

Simple stuff.
There is no real passion. The crawl across 100 metres of broken glass passion.
The tribal hatred of everything non-Tah. The team is full of Queenslanders. We allow our brightest and best young' uns to go outside our borders. They should want to be here forever.
The game is professional now. Players are keeping more an eye on their professional development and longevity (This pays the bills).
Winning is not everything. It can always wait until next week or next year.

These factors are what make Schoolboy 1st XV rugby so exciting.
For Schoolboys in the 1st XV, There is no tomorrow, only the lucky get two years in 1st XV, rarer for three years.
The tribal hatred of traditional enemies runs deep. There is (almost) no chance that that someone will turn up next year playing for the opposition. Winning is everything, and near enough is not good enough.

Somehow we need to bottle Schoolboy 1st XV essence, and give it to the Tahs intravenously.

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
What is wrong with the Tahs?

Simple stuff.
There is no real passion. The crawl across 100 metres of broken glass passion.
The tribal hatred of everything non-Tah. The team is full of Queenslanders. We allow our brightest and best young' uns to go outside our borders. They should want to be here forever.
The game is professional now. Players are keeping more an eye on their professional development and longevity (This pays the bills).
Winning is not everything. It can always wait until next week or next year.

These factors are what make Schoolboy 1st XV rugby so exciting.
For Schoolboys in the 1st XV, There is no tomorrow, only the lucky get two years in 1st XV, rarer for three years.
The tribal hatred of traditional enemies runs deep. There is (almost) no chance that that someone will turn up next year playing for the opposition. Winning is everything, and near enough is not good enough.

Somehow we need to bottle Schoolboy 1st XV essence, and give it to the Tahs intravenously.
Love 1st XV school rugby.
They haven't learnt bad habits or been over coached.
They play to win, not to not lose and have GENUINE passion for the jumper.
Players back their instincts and themselves.
There is respect for tradition and a refreshing creativity in the way various teams play each other.
What has this got to do with "What's wrong with the Tahs?"..........nothing.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Winning is not everything for professionals? Strange philosophy. After all, all the teams are professional, and it looks to me as though they are all trying - just some are more successful than others.

If "not trying to win" is somehow allied to professionalism, why would it apply only to the Waratahs, and not to all professional teams?

As for learning something from schoolboy rugby, especially private school rugby (where good players can be poached at the drop of a scholarship), spare us please. Again, all the franchises have school rugby competitions (to wildly varying degrees, of course) - I doubt that either the New Zealand or South African franchises would learn anything from the passion of their schoolkids.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I think what he was getting at , is that Schoolboys tend to "play wots in front of them" more than the pro's. If they are on their goal line and see a chance, they will often take it on rather than kicking away for safety.
As to the Tahs...... if you can't see that they are paralysed by fear when they play, nothing I say will convince you.
Your reference to the Tahs franchise having Schoolboy competitions....Not could be further from the truth, the closest they come is that they get some little Schoolboy teams do a parade before their first game each year. They run no competitions.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The professional era has reduced the top level of the game to a science of playbooks, templates and numbers. Many of the people associated with the Super franchises are Rugby Engineers.

In Heaven, and in our dreams, Rugby remains an Art followed with a passion. Unlike Science and Engineering, with Arts you do not always have predictable and repeatable outcomes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Maybe you guys just need to wear the same rose coloured glasses you are looking at the past era of amateur rugby through when you go and watch the Tahs.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I think what he was getting at , is that Schoolboys tend to "play wots in front of them" more than the pro's. If they are on their goal line and see a chance, they will often take it on rather than kicking away for safety.
As to the Tahs.. if you can't see that they are paralysed by fear when they play, nothing I say will convince you.
Your reference to the Tahs franchise having Schoolboy competitions..Not could be further from the truth, the closest they come is that they get some little Schoolboy teams do a parade before their first game each year. They run no competitions.

"Paralysed with fear"? Is that why they tried to score that late try against the Reds? Or why their restart work has been so pathetic? Or why the forwards failed to feed Barnes for the final field goal attempt against the Cheetahs? Sorry, hard to make that connexion. Maybe they are just not good enough this season. As I have said previously, every competitive league has teams that are not as good as some others - and under a salary cap, the quality of the teams will vary from season to season.

I did not say that the Waratahs ran schoolboy competitions, I said that there are schools (and thus competitions) within all the franchises, by which I clearly meant the geographical areas covered by the franchises.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Well the Tahs were actually 4 behind!
And no it wasn't clear that you were not inferring that the Tahs ran School comps, but anyway......

It is what it is

John Solomon (38)
As to the Tahs.. if you can't see that they are paralysed by fear when they play, nothing I say will convince you.
Your reference to the Tahs franchise having Schoolboy competitions..Not could be further from the truth, the closest they come is that they get some little Schoolboy teams do a parade before their first game each year. They run no competitions.
Thank you ILTW, it's precisely what I meant.
It takes fitness, skills and courage to play this way and not be overcome with the fear of "what can go wrong here?" when these opportunities arise.
The Crusaders have been the global role models for backing themselves and taking risks for years.
They run it from turnovers inside their own 22, even when they're exhausted, instead of kicking it out.
They do it time and again so it becomes the norm rather than the exception.
There is no secret here. Sometimes 100% of Crusaders training sessions are dedicated to the whole team conducting lung busting length of the field counter attacking drills.
Don't BS yourself Waratah apologists and make excuses, it can be done. Please also stop getting so excited when the Waratahs actually attempt it on rare occasions.
When the game is lost, don't pretend that you're witnessing courage and daring from the Waratahs when they then start throwing the ball around......where was that courage and daring when the game was there for the taking earlier?

What's most concerning for all Wallaby supporters is that it's this Crusader style of rugby that the All Blacks are now striving to play.
Who honestly thinks Barnes could fit into the No 10 spot with the All Blacks and keep up with their pace and intensity of play?

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
This has always been the thrust of my comment that the Tahs play "not to lose" instead of playing to win. They will take the conservative option every time. However the big failure is that even when they take this option, which with the modern construction of the Tahs side is proabably the best tactics for them, they execute poorly. Here is the kicker, they have such a poor level of confidence in the play they invariably fail at the execution of the requisite skills. How else do you explain how a player like Berrick Barnes plays better in his second game with the Wallabies this year than he ever has for the Tahs, a situation that has been repeated time and again. It certainly isn't because Deans is a great coach, I think that myth has been well and truly debunked

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Whether the Waratahs make dramatic changes to their coaching staff could be determined by who the Western Force recruit as their head honcho next season. While at least two Waratahs directors recently have been asking outside influences - even stopping them in the street - for their thoughts on whether Michael Foley should stay as Waratahs coach after losing the past six matches, the Force are close to deciding who will replace Richard Graham. Our snouts tell us that on the Force shortlist are Scott Johnson, Todd Louden, Brian Melrose and Michael Cheika.

Read more: http://www.smh.com.au/rugby-union/u...igh-options-20120621-20qyc.html#ixzz1yT0ge4qm

Why do they never stop me? I'll be doubling my patrols up and down the street outside head office in Tahland in the hope one of them sticks his head out the door and asks me how to fix the problem.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Why do they never stop me? I'll be doubling my patrols up and down the street outside head office in Tahland in the hope one of them sticks his head out the door and asks me how to fix the problem.

Because you're in Brisbane, you goose.

BPC

Phil Hardcastle (33)

I hope they don't stop you. We don't want Richard Graham as head coach either.

Status
Not open for further replies.