• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

What position did/do you play?

What position do/did you play (most of the time)?

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
This surprises me, too. The average IQ of the forum isn't nearly as high as it should be, based on what I'm reading.

Don't worry about being too tall for prop: bend your levers and you'll do OK

I wonder what else we could read from this.

I have noticed from all my school leaver buddies that generally the boys who stay on are the forwards, whereas the backs aren't as inclined to continue as they can do other sports etc. This is supported by a large faction of GAGR being props.

I reckon this is because props feel a real sense of belonging within rugby that we can't get anywhere else. Prop is a position for those rejected by Basketball, AFL, Soccer etc, and it's a position where traditionally unsporty people can thrive.

So it engenders a sense of community and welcomeness within props. In turn, props feel as if they need to pay back rugby, or follow it for life as thanks for welcoming the previously rejected among its ranks.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
I wonder what else we could read from this.

I have noticed from all my school leaver buddies that generally the boys who stay on are the forwards, whereas the backs aren't as inclined to continue as they can do other sports etc. This is supported by a large faction of GAGR being props.

I reckon this is because props feel a real sense of belonging within rugby that we can't get anywhere else. Prop is a position for those rejected by Basketball, AFL, Soccer etc, and it's a position where traditionally unsporty people can thrive.

So it engenders a sense of community and welcomeness within props. In turn, props feel as if they need to pay back rugby, or follow it for life as thanks for welcoming the previously rejected among its ranks.
It's more that the props seem to have to tell us all repeatedly what they did / do and how clever they are.
Especially one of them. ;)

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I was relatively late to the game, living all of my formative years in SA and WA, and started at 15. I was a sprinter back then and started out wide. I was also tall (194cm by the time I stopped growing) and naturally my U/16's coach wanted me in the lineout. I proceeded to play lock for a season or two until settling on playing in the back row for the rest of my time. I loved playing eight but lacked the bulk to physically impose myself on the game, so I played a lot of games at flanker (mostly openside) due to my pace. My club (University of WA) played a lot of left/right flanker combinations and I really enjoyed that. In the end persistent shoulder dislocations killed my rugby aspirations.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
bit on the wing (winning the 100 at school got me dumped out there but it was boring as fuck, ball never made it that far in the freezing cold 80's piss and rain.)
bit at fullback (horror show, the whole width of the field to defend and theyre coming from everywhere, wft, jailbreak, wings getting back to help?, like fuck!)
1st 5 was the best. here is what I remmeber of my detailed game plan:

in own half: kick.
in other half: pass.

Run? In Auckland Schools rugby that's pretty much a death wish.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The town I live at didn't have junior rugby back in the day so I started out playing loig at inside centre. My first games of rugby were also at 12 then I turned into a fat kid and played a couple of years at prop. At 14 I had a growth spurt beyond that of my peers and got chucked into the 2nd row. By 6th form I had made the transition to the back row and played the rest of my days either at flanker or no. 8.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Shelts89

Tom Lawton (22)
I class myself as a 9, though have been known to play wing recently too. Currently busted my knee so sat around not playing though.

USARugger

John Thornett (49)
Played openside flanker in highschool (coming off of 11 years of folkstyle wrestling it was just a natural transition - I was insanely fit from a cardio perspective and pretty quick too, strong as anything on the ground even if I wasn't the biggest kid in the pack) as well as during my first year at college. Loved it, even if I spent 90% of each match in a ruck (both because I excelled at the breakdown and was equally useless in open play because I had no clue what I was doing and hadn't played a field/ball sport since I was 7 or 8 years old).

Got bumped out to 13 when I wasn't gaining weight fast enough, was always a few steps quicker than anyone else in the pack anyway. Evolved over two years from a 7-playing-13 to an actual 13 after learning about the aspects of the game that didn't involve tackling or attacking the ball.

My last year of eligibility was more or less plagued by injury so I ended up coming off the bench a lot as utility cover or stepping in to fill holes for the 2nds and would usually find myself at 10 or 12.

12 is still my favorite position but having never been heavier than 87-88kg (at 1.85m) I can find myself at 15 just as often, depending on which club I'm playing for at the time and whether or not they use a rock-eater or a 2nd-five at 12.

I enjoy playing up in the line far more. Unfortunately a chronic back injury has kept me from stringing a full season together, or even an entire year in the gym for a while now.

T

Train Without a Station

The town I live at didn't have junior rugby back in the day so I started out playing loig at inside centre. My first games of rugby were also at 12 then I turned into a fat kid and played a couple of years at prop. At 14 I had a growth spurt beyond that of my peers and got chucked into the 2nd row. By 6th form I had made the transition to the back row and played the rest of my days either at flanker or no. 8.

I knew you were a fossil Kob. That fact that you played league back when they actually had an inside and outside centre certainly proves my assumption haha. At 29 I only vaguely remember the last of that from the early 90s.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
I knew you were a fossil Kob. That fact that you played league back when they actually had an inside and outside centre certainly proves my assumption haha. At 29 I only vaguely remember the last of that from the early 90s.
I actually didn't know they don't term them that anymore..what do they call them - 'one centre' and 'the other centre'?

T

Train Without a Station

Left and right. And then they talk about how a player "is a right centre not a left centre",
Etc. what a gee up!

The Pirate

Herbert Moran (7)
Bit of a pattern here but like many others in Australian rugby I started as an open side flanker, though I seem to remember the term Breakaway being used more then, got slow, sorry ,slower and fatter and ended up being moved to loose head prop .
Not sure what I loved more about it, the thrill of scrummaging or not being expected to sprint anywhere . Have to confess though, I never liked having to play tight head and for some reason or another I hated hooker. Claustrophobia perhaps.

Iluvmyfooty

Phil Hardcastle (33)
Started playing rugby after I left school. Played league at school but my mates where I lived all played rugby. This was 1975 (fk that's a long time ago). First played as an outside back and stayed there through my 20's.

Then the fateful day arrived in 1988 after my svelt athletic frame had blown out somewhat I played No.10 in fourth grade, fullback in thirds, prop in 2nd's and then came off the bench as a hooker in first grade (ahh country rugby nothing like it). After this my time as one of the pretty boys was at an end. Played out the next few years as a prop in various grades. Eventually earned my entry into the front rowers club.

I now consider myself an ex-front rower

Status
Not open for further replies.