• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where is JON hiding?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
You asked, and now here it is from JON.

THE Australian Rugby Union have hinted they could withdraw their contract offer to Quade Cooper after the outspoken five-eighth said he would turn down Wallabies selection.

In his first response to Cooper’s criticism, O’Neill said he was "utterly confused" by Cooper’s list of grievances on the Rugby Club but hinted the ARU could pull their contract offer given his refusal to play for Australia if selected.

http://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/sp...yer-and-a-person/story-fn8ti7yn-1226482919956

Scotty

David Codey (61)
So we have a few choices to make. Medium term, who do we think will be better for the growth of the game in this country out of the three:

Quade Cooper

John O'Neill

Robbie Deans

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
As posted elsewhere, QC (Quade Cooper)'s statement is effectively him announcing his retirement from International Rugby.

Why would you select (or even bother considering) an individual who has stated that he wouldn't play?

If the individual is not available for selection, and the reason for that unavailability is not based on medical grounds, then why would you want to sign any contract with them?

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^ IIRC this was at the same age as well as our Mr C . Some spooky parallels.

Some more on this post vv
This is the GF week in the other codes. We are getting back page space. How good is that?

As Oscar Wilde once said, "The only thing worse than being talked about is not being talked about".

Why are the headlines not saying this?
"Quade Cooper announces his retirement from International Rugby"

Richo

John Thornett (49)
So we have a few choices to make. Medium term, who do we think will be better for the growth of the game in this country out of the three:

Quade Cooper

John O'Neill

Robbie Deans

In a vacuum, I'd take Quade. Now that this has all happened, it seems unlikely he'll be around long. The ARU can't respond to this by ditching JON or Deans. Otherwise it will be telling the world that any star can hop on twitter, give an interview and get rid of management.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I am genuinely curious as what people on here would think (if he was fit) if they selected QC (Quade Cooper) to play. Would it just look stupid on the ARU's part or would if force Quades hand and call his bluff. Actually on reflection, it would prob just be stupid as it would give QC (Quade Cooper) the chance to publicly turn down his selection or say, yeah they needed me back etc. Nevermind. ;)

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)

Quade Cooper

John O'Neill

Robbie Deans

i'm sorry but this is not the choice. regardless of what you think of JON and RD, Quade has come out publicly criticising the coach, the ARU management, the game plan and the overall environment...oh and the lack of "facilities to facilitate." the choice is whether you try and work it out with quade or get rid of him. end of story.
if he is unwilling to play for the wallabies, then sign him up to an ARU agreement underwhich he gets paid only if he plays for the wallabies (match payments only). if he truely wants to play at the reds, then he can do so, get paid for that, and wait to make himself available for the wallabies until facilitating facilities are built.
this guy has no clue, makes no sense and is either a complete idiot or being led by terrible management. add this onto his absurd decision to not take a higher aru offer on a 3 year deal before the world cup - instead opting for a 1 year deal (one of the stupidest decisions i've seen a pro athlete in a contact sport make) - and he is getting some awful advice. you have to ask the old question " who's more the fool - the fool or the fool that follows the fool?" quade following khoder is not good for his career.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I am genuinely curious as what people on here would think (if he was fit) if they selected QC (Quade Cooper) to play. Would it just look stupid on the ARU's part or would if force Quades hand and call his bluff. Actually on reflection, it would prob just be stupid as it would give QC (Quade Cooper) the chance to publicly turn down his selection or say, yeah they needed me back etc. Nevermind. ;)

If quade was fit he never would have said this in the first place. I think he is frustrated by the wallaby structure but what pushed him over the edge to tweet was his frustration at his further injury.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
I'm not sure his form has warranted selection since his injury but since when have they selected on form? ;)I take the point though. This is purely fanciful speculation anyway, as I'm pretty certain we won't get that far.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Does his form warrant selection ATM?
He is not in career best form is he?(For whatever reasons)
exactly. he's been at best adequate since the start of the world cup and at worst absolutely horrid and unworthy of selection
this guy needs to pull his head out of his ass. he aint worth what he used to be and to be honest, the all blacks, england, argentina, south africa etc - they figured him out. pressure him, hit him hard and force him to tackle - he falls apart.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
i'm sorry but this is not the choice. regardless of what you think of JON and RD, Quade has come out publicly criticising the coach, the ARU management, the game plan and the overall environment.oh and the lack of "facilities to facilitate." the choice is whether you try and work it out with quade or get rid of him. end of story.
if he is unwilling to play for the wallabies, then sign him up to an ARU agreement underwhich he gets paid only if he plays for the wallabies (match payments only). if he truely wants to play at the reds, then he can do so, get paid for that, and wait to make himself available for the wallabies until facilitating facilities are built.
this guy has no clue, makes no sense and is either a complete idiot or being led by terrible management. add this onto his absurd decision to not take a higher aru offer on a 3 year deal before the world cup - instead opting for a 1 year deal (one of the stupidest decisions i've seen a pro athlete in a contact sport make) - and he is getting some awful advice. you have to ask the old question " who's more the fool - the fool or the fool that follows the fool?" quade following khoder is not good for his career.

You missed my point. I am trying to establish that both JON and RD have no more to offer our game, but Cooper may still have a lot more to offer.

What is best for the game of rugby in this country?

1. A kiwi coach who has proven to be average at best

2. A CEO that has been leading poorly and now taken up a chairman role with another mob

3. A young blokes, who for all his faults is one of the most talented players his generation and has helped the Reds and Qld rugby expand strongly to become one of the top provincial teams (performance and support)?

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
If quade was fit he never would have said this in the first place. I think he is frustrated by the wallaby structure but what pushed him over the edge to tweet was his frustration at his further injury.
Sorry, can't buy that. He didn't tweet it whilst eating some comfort food at home alone. He said it almost a week after he started the controversy on a TV show that he MUST have been prepared for.
I cannot accept that he did not rehearse answers to questions he either knew or assumed would be asked.
That is deliberate action for whatever reason, it was not a knee jerk reaction to his frustration with his current circumstances.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
You missed my point. I am trying to establish that both JON and RD have no more to offer our game, but Cooper may still have a lot more to offer.

2. A CEO that has been leading poorly and now taken up a chairman role with another mob

3. A young blokes, who for all his faults is one of the most talented players his generation and has helped the Reds and Qld rugby expand strongly to become one of the top provincial teams (performance and support)?

What a shame Quade Cooper has gone and created a situation where his position with the Wallabies is untenable and he has made it that much harder to get rid of Robbie Deans and John O'Neill.

I reckon you could just about put the house on Robbie Deans being the coach for the Lions tour now.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
I'm gonna speak in JONs defense as his second term in office hasn't been one of great success on field yet it would seem the legacy he will leave this time will be financial responsibility and hopefully following the lions tour some savings that can be put into growing the game again.

I'm sure if he does so the next guy in will have the opportunity to make grand plans and hopefully implement a few of them and receive a ton of fanfare for it, but it will be because JoN has taken mud and turned it into a foundation on which to build again.

Richo

John Thornett (49)

I think this is spot on. All the Khoder Nasser speculation seems off to me because all this has done is destroy leverage, not increase it. Khoder is all about the latter.

Richo

John Thornett (49)
What a shame Quade Cooper has gone and created a situation where his position with the Wallabies is untenable and he has made it that much harder to get rid of Robbie Deans and John O'Neill.

I reckon you could just about put the house on Robbie Deans being the coach for the Lions tour now.

I don't like it, but I completely agree. I wanted Deans gone at the end of TRC as I couldn't see what he actually had to offer at this point; burnt out, lost the sheds, too conservative, etc. Cooper has made that impossible, like it or not.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)

i say keep QC (Quade Cooper) at the reds with the match based top up from the ARU and to the extent you can, allow whatever 3rd party arrangements he needs to stay at the reds.
i don't think the wallabies hsould bend over backwards to a player who for all his talent has been mediocre for two years.
i like deans. i admit he's losing the faith and that if he doesn't win these next two games he should go, but QC (Quade Cooper) has been no better than him over the past two years.
JON - he's going soon, but there's no way he's going before he's due to.

Status
Not open for further replies.