• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Beat

Paul McLean (56)
Note: I deliberately did not say western Sydney.
I think, like me (for other reasons), sydneysiders would love to able to turn their back on the Tahs yet not feel guilt at doing so. It would be a great catharsis in oz rugby.
They have bumbled, mumbled and bungled their way through 21 years of pro rugby at enormous cost to the game's viability in this country.
If they must stay let them do so without Sydney people feeling an obligation to support them because this is the biggest rugbybstate and those people feel oz rugby needs a strong tahs.
The Sydney Shetlands, I say.

I like it SS x 2 - Shute Shield & the Sydney Shetlands ;)

I'd be supporting the SS.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
To start with the ARU has to go, along with the NSWRU and the QRU and the game simply has to be administered centrally for cost reduction, efficiency and by an truly independent commission/board whatever.

The political games, predominantly between Qld and NSW have been to the detriment of the game here since forever, and management is unwieldy, stagnant and totally opaque because of it.

When we have effective management reform we can look at a truly national club comp bringing the Vic, WA and ACT clubs up along. It could take any number of forms Heineken cup style, finalists only... there are quite a few viable options around.

I am fully in favor of some kind of club winners cup or something like that but I can't see how clubs (as they currently stand) could be the highest level of domestic rugby in Australia. If we take Qld, NSW, WA and Vic in total, there are 40 clubs which is way too many to spread our talent across.

Reactions: dru

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
I think, like me (for other reasons), sydneysiders would love to able to turn their back on the Tahs yet not feel guilt at doing so. It would be a great catharsis in oz rugby.
They have bumbled, mumbled and bungled their way through 21 years of pro rugby at enormous cost to the game's viability in this country.
If they must stay let them do so without Sydney people feeling an obligation to support them because this is the biggest rugbybstate and those people feel oz rugby needs a strong tahs.

Victorian and WA Rugby Fans - Please let us keep a team. We know the team doesn't do well and we don't have any star players but we will go anyway/contribute to the team ownership/buy lots of food at TGIFs.
NSW Rugby Fans - Our team sucks. We only get 50% of the total top ups for the country and only won the competition in 2014. Can we have another team as we don't like our current team.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Cutting a team will further reduce places available for players to develop.

Given our playing stocks are falling why we are planning to reduce the number of places available for players to develop.

Expansion of teams and opportunity for players to showcase their talents or stay in the game long enough and not switch codes, should be a major consideration in the minds of the ARU.

L

Leo86

Cutting a team will further reduce places available for players to develop.

Given our playing stocks are falling why we are planning to reduce the number of places available for players to develop.

Expansion of teams and opportunity for players to showcase their talents or stay in the game long enough and not switch codes, should be a major consideration in the minds of the ARU.

You mean logic, long term vision, planning. . . This is the ARU after all

L

Leo86

https://www.westernforce.com.au/article/wessels-all-praise-wallaby-four

Lock Adam Coleman has also publicly committed himself to the Road Safety Western Force amid recent speculation.
“I’m excited about the direction we’re taking as a team. We have a great group of players and staff and I’m excited about what the future holds.
“The Force is my home and gave me my opportunity, I will endeavour to put my heart and soul into this club and my full focus is on winning with this team.”

My opinion - Pandaram, shit Journalist

B

BLR

So can we now agree the ARU mouthpiece Jamie Pandaram is acting as an agent to undermine RugbyWA already?

His lies keep on stacking up, has he been right (or differing from the ARU line) once during this saga?

Does Greg Growden have a room for him at ESPN, it was great when we got rid of him. (Lowered media visibility anyway)

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
^^^^FWIW BLR, I wasn't trying to infer anything when the article popped up on Twitter, I just saw it and then posted it here out of interest. I much prefer Coleman's version than Panadram's.

Akula

Herbert Moran (7)
NZ view here. Most people here say the Aussie teams are poor and should be cut. I say otherwise. Tahs and Reds have both won Super Rugby in the last 6 years. WA is producing some home grown talent and doesn't have league to compete with. Melbourne is a big market. Keep the 5 teams and try harder to make it work.

B

BLR

^^^^FWIW BLR, I wasn't trying to infer anything when the article popped up on Twitter, I just saw it and then posted it here out of interest. I much prefer Coleman's version than Panadram's.

Oh nah, you're all good, just pointing it out. The Force have a members meeting that is being streamed tonight & DHP is on Ten News over here tonight so fingers crossed expect some signals of intent coming out of the West soon enough.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Victorian and WA Rugby Fans - Please let us keep a team. We know the team doesn't do well and we don't have any star players but we will go anyway/contribute to the team ownership/buy lots of food at TGIFs.
NSW Rugby Fans - Our team sucks. We only get 50% of the total top ups for the country and only won the competition in 2014. Can we have another team as we don't like our current team.
i have actually shelled out for shares in the force

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
NZ view here. Most people here say the Aussie teams are poor and should be cut. I say otherwise. Tahs and Reds have both won Super Rugby in the last 6 years. WA is producing some home grown talent and doesn't have league to compete with. Melbourne is a big market. Keep the 5 teams and try harder to make it work.

It is kinda funny. In 2014, the second highest placed SA team was 9th and in 2015, the second highest placed SA team was 8th. Based on that improvement, they were moved to 6 teams ... Meanwhile, the Waratahs and Brumbies both qualified in both years for the semi finals.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
As a rugby fan who lives in NSW, but didn't come from here, the local attitudes are just outrageous. And it comes out in much of the public releases from Dwyer/Begg/Poidivin/Papworth/Jones god on it goes. And THEY cry outrage at the cardigans - presumed to be the NSW people who manage to get into ARU. Crazy.

The silver spoon attitude is rife.

Is that not you Gnostic? All I can say is I read you. I don't think I'm unintelligent [hell, I'm cruising for a bruising there]. I like your passion. I like that you like rugby. From what I see i don't like your rugby politics.

I have no rugby politics. I am not an affiliate of any club and have not been a member of any club since my Uni days. I sponsor some rugby team/s from time to time through my business, but I am NOT a member or affiliate. I simply do not have the time.

I am actually a neutral who grew up in Sydney and left there at 13 to move to the country. I have been back for work at various times over the years with a 6 year stint at one stage. Silver spoon, nah sorry, working class (or no class/ I have been told I am "all class" and "classy" at times though I think maybe they had another meaning) so I don't know where this comes from.

I am a Tahs supporter and a sport the Randwick logo simply because I grew up loving the way both sides played the game. I loved the way the Ellas, Lloyd Walker, Campese and co played the game. I also remember that one of my all time favourites, Willie O, played for Manly so perhaps I should sport that logo instead, maybe a Singleton Logo as the best halfback I had seen since NJF was Steve Merrick........

No the Tahs Logo and Randwick are a nod to what brought me to the game. If I deleted all Logos and colours would it make you feel better? It certainly wouldn't change my thoughts, which are just an honest assessment of what I see and with no ulterior motive and no attachment to any third party.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

If the day ever came where a team to rival the Waratahs was set up in Sydney, the punters would flock to it.

Tahs would be lucky to get 5,000 to a game with any opposition in town.

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
If the day ever came where a team to rival the Waratahs was set up in Sydney, the punters would flock to it.

Tahs would be lucky to get 5,000 to a game with any opposition in town.
Why? I'm really not sure that they would flock. They'd pull a bit of a crowd, probably get a bump in the early days, but if they fell back to a middle of the pack team, I reckon they'd struggle for big crowds too. I think the lack of attendance at Super rugby is more complex than everyone "hating" the Tahs, although I realise that's the conventional dogma in this thread.
If we had another Super team (and I'm not convinced it's a good idea right now) I'd be more than happy to see them thrive, but I'm sceptical.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Why? I'm really not sure that they would flock. They'd pull a bit of a crowd, probably get a bump in the early days, but if they fell back to a middle of the pack team, I reckon they'd struggle for big crowds too. I think the lack of attendance at Super rugby is more complex than everyone "hating" the Tahs, although I realise that's the conventional dogma in this thread.
If we had another Super team (and I'm not convinced it's a good idea right now) I'd be more than happy to see them thrive, but I'm sceptical.

I'm not advocating another super team. I want out of the whole thing. I merely make the observation that the Waratahs aren't universally loved. More than a few people I know support the Brumbies despite living all their lives in Sydney. If another hypothetical team did exist somewhere else in Sydney, I'd be on them and I suspect that I wouldn't be alone.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Unusual as it is for me to bag out the cough cough cough management of the ARU.

And to say FFS why could not we .

And to register a massive face plant as I say this and say I like many saw this coming and we or sorry the ARU sat and lets the suits from the US media company tell us what to do.

FFA HAS JUST ANNOUNCED THEY WILL BE BROADCAST FTA ON CHANNEL 10 AND CHANNEL WANTS TO BUILD A SPORTING AUDIENCE AND WILL CROSS PROMOTE AND HELP DEVELOP SOCCER.

Thanks suits and the recent fuck ups by the ARU helped no end I am told with the decision making by 10.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom