• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
From the article you linked:

The Pro12 deny extending a formal invitation

Additionally, from another article:

The Cheetahs deny that they have been officially invited

Yes, I see that, but they will deny it until they can officially announce it.

Then again, there is the offical process the SARU are undertaking to determine the 2 SA teams to be removed. However, there has been noise, and not just from us GAGR types, that the SA teams are looking to enter a comp in their time zone. Hence, NH rugby.

As a wise man said to me, the strategic play would be to send one of you better teams, and another not so good team, to your new NH competition. If all goes well, them all of your teams may follow if/when Super Rugby breaks up.

I wouldn't associate the BBC with click bait, so I feel there is some truth to the story. However, as the could be settling on terms, they will continue to deny it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Unusual as it is for me to bag out the cough cough cough management of the ARU.

And to say FFS why could not we .

And to register a massive face plant as I say this and say I like many saw this coming and we or sorry the ARU sat and lets the suits from the US media company tell us what to do.

FFA HAS JUST ANNOUNCED THEY WILL BE BROADCAST FTA ON CHANNEL 10 AND CHANNEL WANTS TO BUILD A SPORTING AUDIENCE AND WILL CROSS PROMOTE AND HELP DEVELOP SOCCER.

Thanks suits and the recent fuck ups by the ARU helped no end I am told with the decision making by 10.
The way 10 is travelling at the moment it wouldn't have surprised me if they teamed up with ARU: they could share liquidators.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm not advocating another super team. I want out of the whole thing. I merely make the observation that the Waratahs aren't universally loved. More than a few people I know support the Brumbies despite living all their lives in Sydney. If another hypothetical team did exist somewhere else in Sydney, I'd be on them and I suspect that I wouldn't be alone.

Yep you don't add another team to a flawed product and model. I actually am ok with cutting oz teams from Super Rugby on the proviso we had a plan B like a semi pro national domestic competition. But yes as has been pointed out ad nauseam that the ARU has seem to struggle to have a decent Plan A let alone a Plan B.

I personally and much more interested in seeing us jettison the ARU than any OZ Rugby super team as chicken and egg for me and whilst we have such an incompetent organisation running our game I think we are just shuffling the deck chairs on the Titanic personally. As focussing on which Oz Super Rugby team to cut rather than focussing on the ARU is making sure we are on course to hit the iceburg and inevitably sink to the bottom in any case!

So after 660 pages have we resolved anything? Oh that's right we still have the ARU in charge with their magnificent leadership.....ok back to page 1 we go.....

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
I wouldn't associate the BBC with click bait, so I feel there is some truth to the story. However, as the could be settling on terms, they will continue to deny it.

I still don't know how this won't turn Pro12 into a bigger balls up than just having them in Super Rugby.

I mean, they want to expand to Houston.

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
14.9 million people in Scotland, Wales and Ireland.

Compared to 54.3 in England and 64.9 in France.

I don't include Italy because they've added literally no value in either a financial sense or on field quality.

They want to keep up financially with the other two leagues if possible, primarily so that they can retain as much of their Test squad of 30ish within​ the country, and not be priced out of recruiting non "elite" SH talent.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

KevinO

Geoff Shaw (53)
I still don't know how this won't turn Pro12 into a bigger balls up than just having them in Super Rugby.

I mean, they want to expand to Houston.

The difference between the Pro 12 and Super Rugby, they do there research first. They know SA rugby teams entering the Pro 12 would work except for the summer/winter factor.

They have been talking about it for at least 8 years, remember when I was living in Ireland hearing plans for a trial. Also talking about removing the Italian sides at the moment.

And they would have officially invited two teams, just the second team won't be the Kings.

FiveStarStu

Bill McLean (32)
The difference between the Pro 12 and Super Rugby, they do there research first. They know SA rugby teams entering the Pro 12 would work except for the summer/winter factor.

They have been talking about it for at least 8 years, remember when I was living in Ireland hearing plans for a trial. Also talking about removing the Italian sides at the moment.

And they would have officially invited two teams, just the second team won't be the Kings.

Research generally tells you what you want to hear though. That's how we got into our own balls up.

Pro12 could do South Africa but it'd surely be at the expense of USA.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)

I'd rather not give it an apples for apples comparison. One is a fully fledged season with over 20 games and another 2 competitions that supply at least an additional 6 games to the calendar, all roughly played within the same time span. Might i add that each team also plays each other the same amount of times and provides plenty of local derbies.

The other is spread around 5 different time zones, is one of the shortest professional competitions in the world and is supplemented by 3 semi professional competitions. Not every team plays each other twice (or in some cases not at all) and conferences are made up of playing half of your conference once the other half twice. One team plays only 25% of their games at home, the other travels the single most kilometers for a professional team in the world. There is no free trade and the teams don't even have a region allocated to them.

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Just received an interesting email; Bill Pulver will be attending my club's annual rugby dinner/function next Thursday night.

It's in Melbourne, so makes sense he'll be in town ahead of the Fiji match. I guess it's good of him to support the local community - but the man has to sit in a room with 100 die hard Melbourne fans who are wondering if he's about to cut their club. Interesting move.

Anyone got any questions I can relay?

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
How can you have been so incompetent, as to not realise that you didn't have the legal authority to cut either the Force or the Rebels prior to announcing that a decision would be made within 48 hours approximately 7/8 weeks ago?

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
See this is what pisses me of the ARU on one hand cutting a tram and on the other paying out players contracts so they can play for the reds or tahs.

The honey badger couldn't get a top up to help support his family because the ARU couldn't afford to he and left.

A few days later they sign Hunt.

It's one story some and another for others.

http://www.couriermail.com.au/sport/rugby/aru-key-to-bringing-queensland-reds-legend-will-genia-home/news-story/9de798b7b54e68430358eb6483420dc6

I will declare my colours here....there is a war for talent and synergies between league and union are always there...and despite what many say bringing across high profile league players always should be part of the mix as we are playing a war on talent that attracts the fans and synergies between league and union are clearly there for crossover purposes.

Hunt was a star in league with former schoolboy union pedigree and like Folau cross code freak...ok due to drugs and stuff taken time but now Hunt showing his wares (which clearly anyone knows before he was signed was there in droves)...and from a marketing perspective gold as contrary to what some rusted on union players want to believe Hunt has very good brand for his cross code antics with NRL and AFL but moreso because in NRL was high profile QLD origin and Kangaroos rep. But most importantly he has an excellent football brain and shown can adapt and learn with his SUNS experience.

Seriously ask anyone who follows NRL if they know who Karmichael Hunt is so from profile perspective that should tell you why high profile league players who could make the transition should always be targeted.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Just received an interesting email; Bill Pulver will be attending my club's annual rugby dinner/function next Thursday night.

It's in Melbourne, so makes sense he'll be in town ahead of the Fiji match. I guess it's good of him to support the local community - but the man has to sit in a room with 100 die hard Melbourne fans who are wondering if he's about to cut their club. Interesting move.

Where have you been for the past 6 weeks? And "Have we still been paying you during this time?" would be two questions I'd be asking.

half

Alan Cameron (40)

When are you resigning !!!!

The torpedo

Peter Fenwicke (45)

Say nothing. Bring an assortment of rotten fruit and vegetables ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.