• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BLR

^^^^Now if only the ARU had the guts to come and see the same half. Spot on. Especially about not walking away from rugby.

At the moment we are in a holding pattern (which the ARU want to keep us in for at least until 2020) until we get our team back in a correct form. (Whether IPRC is that form or not)

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Half, Perth is very quiet now by recent standards. It is in recession and has been for some time. Unemployment rate has been as high as 7% in recent years.
Even while in recession it is still is a more financially viable location for Rugby than Vic.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
J
Hmmmm errrr cough cough cough don’t shot me but I still think there is a big nay huge future in WA for rugby but not with this board. There is no community / public trust in the current board and I feel if this board stays to long it has the potential to do harm to rugby in WA.

Are you talking about the ARU board or the RugbyWA board? There are a few over here who've expressed anger at the local board and legal team for being so naïve in their readings of, and entering into, the alliance agreement.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Are you talking about the ARU board or the RugbyWA board? There are a few over here who've expressed anger at the local board and legal team for being so naïve in their readings of, and entering into, the alliance agreement.

Sorry for the late reply, have been busy. TBH I don't know but my gut tells me it was the ARU. A common theme from the rugby folk I met was this town is an AFL stronghold and rugby does not need mistakes like this in this town.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Japanese Union have come to an agreement which secures access to all their national team players with the Top League owners. This means they'll be able to run them in Super Rugby via the Sunwolves. That's a positive step.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
The Japanese Union have come to an agreement which secures access to all their national team players with the Top League owners. This means they'll be able to run them in Super Rugby via the Sunwolves. That's a positive step.

Just in time to take on the remaining four Aus franchises in the new conference set up next year. And we thought we would get one easy win in 2018. Might have to think again.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Sorry for the late reply, have been busy. TBH I don't know but my gut tells me it was the ARU. A common theme from the rugby folk I met was this town is an AFL stronghold and rugby does not need mistakes like this in this town.

Oh yeah, that's most definitely true. We've seen that with the "deal" the AFL franchises have struck with the new stadium. You wouldn't believe the anti-rugby, anti-league, anti-soccer claptrap that gets written in the press over here. i think the only one that's been able to ride that wave of hostility is basketball, and that would be because Kerry Stokes owns the Wildcats and Channel Seven, so he can use his network as a bullwark against the WAFC/AFL agenda.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Chibi hate to be pedantic but Jack Bendat owns the wildcats. But yeah your right they have been able to shine but mind you they do play at a different time of the year.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Along with the TF announcement today, and my understanding of part of what was said was the six teams would be expanded. I can be corrected if I have this wrong.

However today along with TF, was a plan put forward by 120 lower division soccer clubs to form a second division within two years of between 12 & 16 teams operating with a 2.5-million-dollar budget. Please don’t ask me how they are going to fund it. http://www.theroar.com.au/2017/10/27/second-division-plans-not-realistic-ffa

This on top of an already planned expansion of the A-League by the FFA.

I am aware FFA have rejected the above plan the aforementioned clubs an unworkable and unrealistic. However the current FFA board look on the way out more than likely replaced with a much more expansion oriented board.

The other day the ABC reported that Rugby League was taking over in Tonga. Further that league was introducing some kinda national fitness program.

Alan Jones said yesterday two of his players are leaving union one for league and one for AFL.

My point is other codes are expanding, our level of influence with only 4 professional teams will do damage in so far as letting other codes establish themselves.

TF also in his presentation highlighted his move to digital and online broadcasting as a revenue source across Asia.

Not sure how to end this post without going over much gone over ground. But with League now with its eyes on PI nations, soccer about to go on a very aggressive expansion course. Maybe its time our Shute Shield level teams Australia take a look at what the 120 odd soccer clubs are doing and see if they could in some way do something similar to grow the game.

Jones also expressed his real concern that we are not talking the game up and providing opportunities for younger players. More reason to expand teams like TF wants too

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Did not see this coming had heard something about it and a mate just sent me this AFL article.

Seems the AFL will trail a new game played over four 10 minute quarters I thing with only 5 people a side at soccer stadiums. If this article is correct it will be played in the pre season when we are playing.

Here is the link it starts about half way down. So the women's AFL and now a new AFL smaller quicker game.

Yes and we cut a team.

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/afl...-2018-preseason-shake-up-20171017-gz2c61.html

The format has been trialled on rectangular field, with the AFL considering booking soccer stadiums for games. Matches have 10-minute quarters and there are no centre bounces, with kick ins from full back after each goal. Ten points are scored for goals from outside 40m.

The AFL hopes it could challenge cricket's Big Bash League and even help to spread the code overseas, where soccer stadiums are more prevalent than cricket fields.

"Most of that work has all been done, so they (AFL) are pretty keen on getting that out. I am looking forward to having a look at that," Hocking said.

"It certainly gives the fans something different and also the young kids that are coming through a different vehicle. I am looking forward to seeing that at the appropriate time."

A senior AFL player who took part in a trial match this year told Fairfax Media in July footballers would be keen to play but needed to be paid accordingly, for the AFLX format was not included under the new collective bargaining agreement.

AFL chief Gillon McLachlan has said AFLX could complement pre-season training if held heading into the JLT competition.

"We want actually all teams to be involved ... to that we think then the best time is to lead into pre-season," he said in July.

"The other part is that the clubs, the feedback from the coaches is, they can manage the loads of the players, with the right planning it can an important part of the pre-season rather than wedging it in."

If successful, it would give broadcasters Channel Seven and Fox Sports more content, building momentum for the latest record broadcast rights deal of $2.5 billion to be bettered when it expires in 2022.

Retired players have also expressed interest in the fast-paced AFLX format, with some keen to establish their own side.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
AFLX? Though if AFL want to make their game faster and less scrappy, they should use a round ball.
:D
My thoughts exactly.

Why don't they use the International Rules format. Played on a rectangular pitch and a round ball

This game would have some appeal to the soccer millions.

Imo, a far better game to watch than AFL

Sent from my MHA-L09 using Tapatalk

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Well, hello! Salary cap is going up. It now looks like Force savings are going back into the Soup.

All that "grass roots" malarkey was just that; shenanigans.

The current rules subject Australian Super Rugby teams to a $5 million salary cap for a 30-man play roster, excluding top-up funding for Wallabies players, but that will need to be increased to provide opportunities for Western Force players who were left without a club but wish to remain in Australian rugby.​

And unfortunately, and this really is very unfortunate, the distribution is going to be a little lop-sided. Sorry about that. Ben Whitaker did what he could.

Temporary measures are set to be put in place in Australian Super Rugby next year to accommodate displaced Western Force players.​

Rugby AU high performance boss Ben Whitaker said there wouldn't necessarily be an even share of players at each club, there wouldn't be 'significant change' to numbers for 2018.​

“Unfortunately there isn’t a perfect solution that provides a completely equitable outcome for every team in terms of talent access … " Whitaker said.​

“Currently our Super Rugby teams can carry core playing squads of 30 players and it is likely that we’ll need to review that number as the teams finalise their squads for 2018."​

… A number of high-profile Western Force players are still yet to confirm their plans for 2018, with Tatafu Polota-Nau the most recent to commit to a new club, moving to Premiership side Leicester.​

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
So, what does all that mean in reality? Apart from the fact the Melbourne Rebels had quite clearly anticipated the increase in the cap in recruiting so many of the ex-Force players before any sort of announcement had been made.

How much, precisely, has the salary cap been increased? How larger will the core playing group be increased? Why does it appear that the ARU didn't move to clarify these issues before a high profile Wallaby was forced to look overseas?

lou75

Ron Walden (29)
The ARU always welcome transparency as per Clynes testimony we know that "Confidentiality is a key tenet of commercial and legal transactions in Australia and an established doctrine in law" so any "criticism for adhering to ... legal obligations...is highly unfair to ... the ARU" and any "apparently suspicious view of confidentiality has cast ... negative light " over what we do. Mr Clyne has every right to feel "very hurt by media commentary and comments" that suggest he is not up to the job. (Oh that last one was from Vaux's correspondence)

half

Alan Cameron (40)
^^^^^^^
Kaip

It’s difficult to know where to start. The greed by so many is off putting.

I find myself, dispirited, downhearted, and disconsolate, about our management team. They have demoralised many in the rugby community with many feeling depressed about the path chosen by the ARU.

That we need to shrink to survive, beggars belief, especially when other codes are expanding.

I watched the NZ V Tonga match, and league is stealing the PI nations from us. They have places across 16 professional teams, plus in each team a couple of junior teams. Add the lower levels like Ryde Eastwood, Wenty etc.

We offer 4 teams, OK NZ is there as well.

Very short story, a close mate asked me to help his son about 4 years back, he was in his senior level at a Sydney sports school. He went on a tour to Japan playing rugby. He was a half back and I was kinda watching offering some field experience and some business acumen.

Anywho the AFL offer him 70K to switch, Rugby struggled to find a place for him maybe Sydney Uni, in league he had 3 offers, Parramatta, Manly & Penrith in a lower grade and 40k a year.

He choose league, and never quite made the grade, but plays for a team in the lower division and is on 70k a season today.

Where to leave off this post, we need to invest in our best, the number of quality players leaving in that 15 to 17 bracket is killing us.

Sometimes it’s a whole of game approach and the professional side of our game is very poorly managed by many not only the ARU.

Maybe TF should launch a takeover bid of the dreaded S…..R

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Maybe you should stop dreaming, mate, and I say that with great respect, because I know you love the game.

The kid you are talking about is just a case study in market forces. I think we all know and understand that the AFL and the NRL both dwarf our game in every dimension.

One of my neighbours has a nephew who lives in Sydney. He too is a bloody good prospect. He was invited to play juniors at Randwick, and was mentored by none other than Simon Poidevin, who gave him personal coaching and other mentoring.

He was also being courted by St George to play in one of their junior teams. St George was offering money, of course.

He is going with the money. What do you expect him to do? He is just acting rationally. Randwick cannot start paying juniors, it happens all the time in the NRL and the AFL. The kid comes from a strong rugby background, his father and his uncle (my neighbour) both want him to play rugby, he has had all the inducements in the world from Randwick, but he is heading in the other direction.

By the way, on a related subject, PI kids play league because they prefer it. Sad to say, but that is the way it is. Money helps, of course.

It all comes back to money. The other codes have it, we don't. There is no simple answer.

Status
Not open for further replies.