• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
Yeah, my guess is they'll just use the Super Rugby teams with the Force. That will be what they want to test with less risk. They would be the teams they'll use to base any form of domestic comp around anyway - is my guess.

You would think so but having more teams spreads the contracted players out and allows the semi-pro players and upcomers to get some experience playing alongside them. And from a fan point of view a bit more tribalism.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
However, if they open up the borders with NZ, then a Super 10 would be the preferred option, and then a Bledisloe series in Oct/Nov. I heard Turinui on the Rugby Ruckus suggest that a big weekend of Derby Day into a Melbourne Bledisloe would be a pretty enticing marketing prospect.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I truly hope that those are NOT the only options they are discussing.

These recent posts were in relation to the rest of this year as being discussed in this thread. It has nothing to do with what RA or anyone else is actually planning.

Reactions: dru

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
It’s a little blurry but this was on the Rebels hook up this morning with members. They said these were the 3 options been looked at with tweaking needed depending on the situation.

Attachments

• 035A5552-7C01-4587-9A2D-38057A824D28.png
    035A5552-7C01-4587-9A2D-38057A824D28.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 306

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
Rebels chairman also commented that the club was in favor of change going forward. I know they have been quite vocal to RA behind closed doors in the past about providing clubs with more games and content to engage fans. They were rather upfront in the past 12 months about reduction of games with new Super Rugby format for next year onwards.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Is that based on last year's teams they were allocated to? A redraft would be necessary.

yes. QRU look after Brisbane and QLD Country; NSWRU look after Sydney and NSW Country; Brumbies have the Vikings, Rebels have the Rising

Joe King

Dave Cowper (27)
It’s a little blurry but this was on the Rebels hook up this morning with members. They said these were the 3 options been looked at with tweaking needed depending on the situation.

Not sure if I'm reading this correctly, but for scenario C, is that a Possibles v Probables match plus a SoO concept in the 'internationals' line?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

I'd say only scenario C would be realistic in the near future. I cannot see international travel being started back up until things begin to settle down. I actually don't mind C either. I would like to see the NCC carried forward regardless.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
These recent posts were in relation to the rest of this year as being discussed in this thread. It has nothing to do with what RA or anyone else is actually planning.

Apologies BH, I know how frustrating it can be when someone reacts out of context.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
However, if they open up the borders with NZ, then a Super 10 would be the preferred option, and then a Bledisloe series in Oct/Nov. I heard Turinui on the Rugby Ruckus suggest that a big weekend of Derby Day into a Melbourne Bledisloe would be a pretty enticing marketing prospect.

Our Foreign Affairs Minister/ Deputy PM said on tv this morning that preliminary talks are underway to create a trans-Tasman "air travel bubble" when case numbers etc. on either side of the ditch allow (& that it could even extend into some or all of the Pacific Islands if conditions there are also favourable) so it's not beyond the realms of possibility.

EDIT: He also said, however, that longer-haul flights are unlikely to resume until a vaccine becomes available & on that basis you'd have to think that all parties to any Tasman/ South West Pacific "free fly zone" would have to have a common policy in that regard or the whole thing would quickly fall apart.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
yes. QRU look after Brisbane and QLD Country; NSWRU look after Sydney and NSW Country; Brumbies have the Vikings, Rebels have the Rising

One thing I love with the way Qld handles NRC is that it provides a real pre-season introduction of possible new talent to the fans. Ideally all franchises should provide 2 teams I think, even where this means pulling in talent from another union.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Our Foreign Affairs Minister/ Deputy PM said on tv this morning that preliminary talks are underway to create a trans-Tasman "air travel bubble" when case numbers etc. on either side of the ditch allow & that it could even extend into some or all of the Pacific Islands if conditions there are also favourable.

Sorry WOB, that is NZ DPM? It was an interesting discussion and notably while it seems the comment was ahead of actual discussion with Australia over here it was considered positively.

It would seem somewhat odd however, if NZ was to accept travelers from say Sydney, who would have to enter quarantine in pretty much every other state in Aus.

I do imagine it may happen though, if NZ remains positive. Also note that the pacific islands have so far remained SARS-Co2 free.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ yes, that was our man Winston who does get ahead of things at times but events do have a habit if catching up with him :). It's entirely possible that the discussions he's talking about have been fairly informal thus far & are more thought experiment than policy development ATM.

Reactions: dru

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)

The year before I think they spread them around so that each franchise had equal numbers of contracted players, or at least Wallabies. E.g. To'omua was assigned to NSW Country from memory. It wouldn't be hard to do something like that again.

However, I'm starting to get a bit excited about a Trans-Tasman comp defaulting towards reality.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Sorry WOB, that is NZ DPM? It was an interesting discussion and notably while it seems the comment was ahead of actual discussion with Australia over here it was considered positively.

It would seem somewhat odd however, if NZ was to accept travelers from say Sydney, who would have to enter quarantine in pretty much every other state in Aus.

I think once there is a relaxation of travel restrictions within both Australia and New Zealand re-opening travel between the countries will be a really high priority.

If the borders to elsewhere are closed it just increases the size of the closed loop where people can travel safely within.

This wouldn't be before at least the start of June though I imagine.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ I'd imagine the ski field operators would very much like that to be the case, I've read that they get more snow bunnies from Straya than anywhere else.

Mr Wobbly

Alan Cameron (40)

That's based on a July restart though. i think it was Paul Docherty that added they thought August was far more realistic, given that teams will ideally want three weeks of training and a week of game prep. Restrictions would need to be eased by the beginning of June for a July start.

Status
Not open for further replies.