• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Righto champ
Your claim is essentially that no one else would have ever paid to televise Rugby in the last 25 years. A claim that is completely unverifiable and, based on the fact that Rugby is televised around the world by a multitude of different broadcasters, highly unlikely to be the case.

I find it far more likely the Rupert kept Rugby behind a paywall when the game was booming to hook customers into his bloated, inefficient and overpriced television network and that the game would be even bigger now had it been freely available via free-to-air, even if we had to forgo a few TV dollars and a few imported League stars back in the early days of professionalism.

Now the game is no longer a prime draw for suckers looking to pay $100 for Friends re-runs so he's running it into the ground, rather than let a competitor get their hands on it.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I wonder if Kayo/Foxsports were trying to assess the backlash if they potentially got rid of rugby in the future?

As Gee Rob reported I'm positive they always had the rights too. They were playing.

Ignoto

John Thornett (49)
We hate the only broadcaster who has ever paid for live Super Rugby in Australia? And without whom the competition WOULD NOT EXIST?

Interesting tangent, but domestic violence victims are constantly told "You're nothing without me" when they try to leave the relationship.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
The global private equity giant that bought a $4 billion stake in the UFC is in talks with Rugby Australia to make a game-changing investment in the embattled football code.
The Herald can reveal the Australian arm of American firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts is in early talks with Rugby Australia, in collaboration with the Melbourne Rebels, about taking a stake in the sport worth "hundreds of millions of dollars", according to people with direct knowledge of the matter.
The parties met last week and are taking discussions further, based on a 2021 competition model for the professional game that will most likely dismantle the 25-year-old SANZAAR partnership at Super Rugby level and put Australia's interests first.

The Honey Badger

Jim Lenehan (48)
The global private equity giant that bought a $4 billion stake in the UFC is in talks with Rugby Australia to make a game-changing investment in the embattled football code.
The Herald can reveal the Australian arm of American firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts is in early talks with Rugby Australia, in collaboration with the Melbourne Rebels, about taking a stake in the sport worth "hundreds of millions of dollars", according to people with direct knowledge of the matter.
The parties met last week and are taking discussions further, based on a 2021 competition model for the professional game that will most likely dismantle the 25-year-old SANZAAR partnership at Super Rugby level and put Australia's interests first.

Thats sounding positive.

Wonder where that leaves FOX

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Thats sounding positive.

Wonder where that leaves FOX

Who cares, more importantly where does it leave SANZAAR.

Hopefully no where. I've been pretty encouraged by all the noise coming out that Super Rugby will be dead.

-Sunwolves gone.
-Jaguares gone for 2021.
-SA teams linked to Pro 18.
-Aus/NZ players acknowledging TT is the way.

Only SA and SANZAAR keep insisting SANZAAR will continue now.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ looks like SARU know it's over, too:

"SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux still in negotiations with PRO14 over further South African expansion.

"Super Rugby will go ahead in 2021 with South Africa's four Super Rugby franchises included, but the future beyond that is uncertain.

"Roux says commercial and logistical reasons will shape any decisions taken."

Commercial = private equity
Logistics incl time zones

https://www.news24.com/sport/rugby/...sa-rugby-considering-pro14-expansion-20200609

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I'm curious why 2021 is so certain if the SANZAAR deal is 2021-2025.

If the global season is upon us, seems like perfect timing to re-jig everything.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^ my guess would be that everyone's written 2020 off & is trying to salvage what they can revenue-wise while planning for life post-Super Rugby. Sticking it out for one last season buys them time to work out & set up whatever comes next at which point SANZAAR becomes redundant other than for TRC purposes. It also gives them time to see what the global calendar looks like, obviously this will influence the size & shape of their post-Super Rugby comp(s).

Status
Not open for further replies.