1. Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Discussion in 'Rugby Discussion' started by Quick Hands, Mar 5, 2017.

1. KiwiM Ted Thorn (20)

From Gee-Rob on Twitter

2. Derpus Steve Williams (59)

Your claim is essentially that no one else would have ever paid to televise Rugby in the last 25 years. A claim that is completely unverifiable and, based on the fact that Rugby is televised around the world by a multitude of different broadcasters, highly unlikely to be the case.

I find it far more likely the Rupert kept Rugby behind a paywall when the game was booming to hook customers into his bloated, inefficient and overpriced television network and that the game would be even bigger now had it been freely available via free-to-air, even if we had to forgo a few TV dollars and a few imported League stars back in the early days of professionalism.

Now the game is no longer a prime draw for suckers looking to pay $100 for Friends re-runs so he's running it into the ground, rather than let a competitor get their hands on it.
  3. RedsRugbyfan101 Frank Nicholson (4)

4. Derpus Steve Williams (59)

Glad to see they pulled their finger out their bumbums
  5. fatprop David Wilson (68)

When are the rolling out the draw?
  6. RedsRugbyfan101 Frank Nicholson (4)

Tommorrow at 11am. But Round 1 is
    Reds vs Tahs Friday July 3rd 7:05pm @ Suncorp
    Brumbies vs Rebels July 4th 7:15pm @ Canberra
  7. Mickey Rummery Fred Wood (13)

Yep, Aotearoa showing in my Kayo app
  8. qwerty51 Jason Little (69)

I wonder if Kayo/Foxsports were trying to assess the backlash if they potentially got rid of rugby in the future?

As Gee Rob reported I'm positive they always had the rights too. They were playing.
  9. Mickey Rummery Fred Wood (13)

I see Eden Park is expected to be at capacity - I wonder what our stadiums attendance would be IF we're were allowed back o_O
  10. The_Brown_Hornet Michael Lynagh (62)

Yeah some footy again!
  11. Ignoto Chilla Wilson (44)

Interesting tangent, but domestic violence victims are constantly told "You're nothing without me" when they try to leave the relationship.
  12. RebelYell Alex Ross (28)

That's quite clever, I'll pay that.
  13. KOB1987 Andrew Slack (58)

The global private equity giant that bought a $4 billion stake in the UFC is in talks with Rugby Australia to make a game-changing investment in the embattled football code.
    The Herald can reveal the Australian arm of American firm Kohlberg Kravis Roberts is in early talks with Rugby Australia, in collaboration with the Melbourne Rebels, about taking a stake in the sport worth "hundreds of millions of dollars", according to people with direct knowledge of the matter.
    The parties met last week and are taking discussions further, based on a 2021 competition model for the professional game that will most likely dismantle the 25-year-old SANZAAR partnership at Super Rugby level and put Australia's interests first.
  14. Froggy Cyril Towers (30)

15. Mickey Rummery Fred Wood (13)

16. KOB1987 Andrew Slack (58)

Been a pretty productive day down at RA.
    The_Brown_Hornet likes this.
  17. The Honey Badger Peter Johnson (47)

Thats sounding positive.

Wonder where that leaves FOX
  18. qwerty51 Jason Little (69)

Who cares, more importantly where does it leave SANZAAR.

Hopefully no where. I've been pretty encouraged by all the noise coming out that Super Rugby will be dead.

-Sunwolves gone.
    -Jaguares gone for 2021.
    -SA teams linked to Pro 18.
    -Aus/NZ players acknowledging TT is the way.

Only SA and SANZAAR keep insisting SANZAAR will continue now.
  19. waiopehu oldboy David Wilson (68)

^ looks like SARU know it's over, too:

"SA Rugby CEO Jurie Roux still in negotiations with PRO14 over further South African expansion.

"Super Rugby will go ahead in 2021 with South Africa's four Super Rugby franchises included, but the future beyond that is uncertain.

"Roux says commercial and logistical reasons will shape any decisions taken."

Commercial = private equity
    Logistics incl time zones

https://www.news24.com/sport/rugby/...sa-rugby-considering-pro14-expansion-20200609
    Quick Hands likes this.
  20. qwerty51 Jason Little (69)

I'm curious why 2021 is so certain if the SANZAAR deal is 2021-2025.

If the global season is upon us, seems like perfect timing to re-jig everything.