• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
There is almost 0 chance of overseas clubs allowing their players play in midweek tour fixtures. Those days are well and truly done.

I'm not quite so sure that they're done:

2018 Ireland made a 3 test tour of Australia
2016 England made a 3 test tour of Australia
2014 France made a 3 test tour of Australia
2013 BIL 3 test tour of Australia
2012 Wales made a 3 test tour of Australia

***2019 and 2015 no inbound NH tours because of RWC

A 3 test NZ tour of Australia for example would actually involve LESS travel that the current TRC arrangements and thus have a far less impact on player welfare.

Even RA have worked out that 3 test inbound tours are the best way to capture public and media attention.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Just an aside: can there be a madder, more ill-considered idea (seemingly arising from 'the new global calendar' think tanks within WR (World Rugby)) than that we would have Bled and TRC Tests in late January/February!

When the Super 10s proved conclusively that, the very least, the heat in Brisbane (c.35-40% of national $s Test income potential) is too great (30 deg+C at 8pm typically) for elite rugby at that time of year and, further, the overlap with the end of cricket and summer sports season which, I would contest, just does not create the vibe for punters to want to attend Test rugby (or attend in the nos to optimise Test $ income, which is absolutely crucial in any scenario).

Mad dogs and Englishmen.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Harris told The New Daily that in “New Zealand sport and war aren’t symbolically linked” as in Australia.
“New Zealand avoids playing sporting games on Anzac Day because it is frowned on more generally by society,” she said.
“Anzac Day in New Zealand doesn’t have the celebratory nationalism that is present in Australian Anzac practice.”
Instead, Harris adds, “Anzac day … is a day for mourning”.
It’s about time Australia followed the Kiwi lead.
Next year, how about an Anzac Day without sport? It’s not a day for footy parochialism, corporate grandstanding or celebratory nationalism.
It’s about remembrance of our war dead.

RedsHappy

Tony Shaw (54)
Come on mate, that's not correct. Currently 6N is played Feb/Mar and they have been talking about pushing it back a month maybe two. Brisbane weather (mean max) Feb 29, Mar 28 and Apr 26.1 degrees.

Maybe, but I think you will find that evening temps in BNE in February are often still low 30s/very high 20s and with v high humidity (high temp + high humidity the killer).

Sure the core rusted-ons (how many are there now?) will likely go to Tests in those kinds of temps/conditions, but I very much doubt such conditions will maximise overall Test crowd numbers in Brisbane (maybe Sydney too).

Remembering the essential goal (aside from a better Wallabies side) is to increase media, gate and sponsorship income from the Wallaby playing base, not threaten it further by playing in conditions and seasonal periods that may weaken this income.

I respect of course that you see it differently.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

In Australia sport in the afternoon of ANZAC Day is a longstanding tradition going back to when the ANZAC generation were still alive and in positions of power in government and in various sports. If NZ see it differently that's fine.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Margaret Harris is ex-Kiwi military and a Phd student at Monash University whose thesis explores the Anzacs.

KOB1987

Rod McCall (65)
In Australia sport in the afternoon of ANZAC Day is a longstanding tradition going back to when the ANZAC generation were still alive and in positions of power in government and in various sports. If NZ see it differently that's fine.

Yes, we're happy to host. There are signature NRL and AFL games on the day, and until recently I think Tahs and Brumbies used to play on the closest Saturday (or was that Easter Saturday?). The closest Saturday would be the day to do it, once every 7 years the Kiwis would just have to suck it up being played on actual ANZAC Day.

Status
Not open for further replies.