• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Imagine TK would be near the top of the list. Not yet signed for the Brumbies and both Kata and Ikitau getting game time in the 13 spot.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Since 2017, Andrew Forrest's rugby organisation has shown that it's a case of "whatever it takes to keep a professional playing group" in WA (with little help from RA).

I have no issues if the WF is the only team playing TT next year.

I'm with you Dan54 - one way or another they will pick the best/most viable option for 2021.
I would think that recruitment for next year is well advanced.

I'd be very saddened if it was just Force playing TT. They would have a fan in me though.

The way I see it, I think Force will play in the Aus comp if they can. RA are sitting on a diamond. All they have to do is not stuff it up. To be fair to RA, they have shown no sign what so ever of doing anything other than handling this well. Twiggy will want a desk at that table if the table stays half way competent.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
The Force playing in a TT alone is as likely as the kiwis were to fly over Australian to play South Africa. So in other words not ever going to happen. Put it like this, without 5 teams there is no domestic comp in Aus so therefore NSW and QLD would be free to play in another comp. In every possible situation NZRU would prefer to have QLD and NSW involved over any of the other 3 teams. The history, the nurseries, the familiarity is amplified numerous times over compared to the others of why they would be involved in any competition going forward. Sky TV/Fox Sports/Optus, corporate sponsors whatever metric you want adds significant value to the other teams involved. The only situation that is possible would be if twiggy threw a bunch of cash their way, but that isn’t going to happen without him doing it with Aus first. All 5 teams are likely to be playing in Australia next year, and then if for some 180 turn in attitude it will be NSW and QLD with the Force and Brumbies fighting out for the 3rd spot in a kiwi comp but all indications that isn’t going to happen.

This is as silly of an out take as people proposing Cam Clark for a wallabies wing spot 2 years ago or someone mentioning Nick Frost for the wallabies this year a few weeks ago.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I'd be very saddened if it was just Force playing TT. They would have a fan in me though.

The way I see it, I think Force will play in the Aus comp if they can. RA are sitting on a diamond. All they have to do is not stuff it up. To be fair to RA, they have shown no sign what so ever of doing anything other than handling this well. Twiggy will want a desk at that table if the table stays half way competent.

They won't be the only Aus team. Whether NZR like to admit it or not markets matter and whether Force fans like it or not they aren't the most important market in Australia across a number of metrics. Particularly that of Rugby.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The Force playing in a TT alone is as likely as the kiwis were to fly over Australian to play South Africa. So in other words not ever going to happen. Put it like this, without 5 teams there is no domestic comp in Aus so therefore NSW and QLD would be free to play in another comp. In every possible situation NZRU would prefer to have QLD and NSW involved over any of the other 3 teams. The history, the nurseries, the familiarity is amplified numerous times over compared to the others of why they would be involved in any competition going forward. Sky TV/Fox Sports/Optus, corporate sponsors whatever metric you want adds significant value to the other teams involved. The only situation that is possible would be if twiggy threw a bunch of cash their way, but that isn’t going to happen without him doing it with Aus first. All 5 teams are likely to be playing in Australia next year, and then if for some 180 turn in attitude it will be NSW and QLD with the Force and Brumbies fighting out for the 3rd spot in a kiwi comp but all indications that isn’t going to happen.

This is as silly of an out take as people proposing Cam Clark for a wallabies wing spot 2 years ago or someone mentioning Nick Frost for the wallabies this year a few weeks ago.

And if anyone wants to argue this then look at literally every other squad in Aus outside of NSW and Qld. At present without either the rest would struggle to put together one competitive side let alone two.

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
They should be trying to get Uyen back. Local lad and considerably better than Lacey. Him and Ralston would be a good young tandem. It’d be interesting to see how he’s going in France

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)

Isn't his 2IC now on the RA board?

Adam84

Nick Farr-Jones (63)
Twiggy set to receive a $1.16 billion dividend from Fortescue profits in October this year, on top of the $800million special dividend received earlier this year. That marks about $3billion in dividends he has received in the past 2 years.

His wealth is extraordinary, it would be scary to see what the force could become if he opened his cheque book for their recruiting.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Twiggy set to receive a $1.16 billion dividend from Fortescue profits in October this year, on top of the $800million special dividend received earlier this year. That marks about $3billion in dividends he has received in the past 2 years.

His wealth is extraordinary, it would be scary to see what the force could become if he opened his cheque book for their recruiting.

Isnt there like a $5.5 mio salary cap.. but fair enough, WF are likely the only franchise that could easily afford to pay up to the cap.

Brainstrust

Watty Friend (18)
Twiggy’s already indicated that he is prepared to provide long term passive equity investment via his $17 billion Tattarang vehicle for Super Rugby in Australia, providing the administration of the game gets its house in order. McLennan has also stated that the WF are an important part of the professional landscape going forward, I’d say its almost a done deal that Twiggy will likely underwrite any short fall in our Super Rugby AU.
That gives RA a strong financial bargaining position to negotiate with NZ and or go it alone if need be. GRR already has access into the PI opportunities via the Fijian Latui and the Kafiga Samoan teams that played in his comp last year and were due again this season. Unless RA totally stuff it up ( which is a real possibility), it feels like the game could well be financially secure and sustainable for the first time in quite a while.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Twiggy’s already indicated that he is prepared to provide long term passive equity investment via his $17 billion Tattarang vehicle for Super Rugby in Australia, providing the administration of the game gets its house in order. McLennan has also stated that the WF are an important part of the professional landscape going forward, I’d say its almost a done deal that Twiggy will likely underwrite any short fall in our Super Rugby AU.
That gives RA a strong financial bargaining position to negotiate with NZ and or go it alone if need be. GRR already has access into the PI opportunities via the Fijian Latui and the Kafiga Samoan teams that played in his comp last year and were due again this season. Unless RA totally stuff it up ( which is a real possibility), it feels like the game could well be financially secure and sustainable for the first time in quite a while.

I like what Twiggy is about, and what he doing, but by geez people read this post and you understand the worry of relying on this kind of money. GRR seems to of been shelved? Is this is how it works, you go with what is the one that suits you now, and just leave the other one behind? I hope not and maybe Twiggy is going to keep GRR going.
Don't get upset, I not saying that is what he is doing, but it is what we have to guard against, use Twiggy's $s by all means , but by christ make sure you cover your arse in case the $s get pulled if he doesn't like what you doing. I saw what happened when Clive Palmer decided he didn't like the way soccer was going and the Gold Coast team he was paying for stopped on the spot.
I just saying we can't rely on a guardian angel too much as noone , not even Twiggy will give money continually if things aren't run his way.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I read that twiggy just pocketed $2 billion for the financial year. That's not just Fortescue Minerals profit - personally banked two fucken billion. He could finance RA for 10 years and it wouldn't even cost him half this years earnings.

Be keen to see if he actually puts his money where his mouth is.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I like what Twiggy is about, and what he doing, but by geez people read this post and you understand the worry of relying on this kind of money. GRR seems to of been shelved? Is this is how it works, you go with what is the one that suits you now, and just leave the other one behind? I hope not and maybe Twiggy is going to keep GRR going.
Don't get upset, I not saying that is what he is doing, but it is what we have to guard against, use Twiggy's $s by all means , but by christ make sure you cover your arse in case the $s get pulled if he doesn't like what you doing. I saw what happened when Clive Palmer decided he didn't like the way soccer was going and the Gold Coast team he was paying for stopped on the spot.
I just saying we can't rely on a guardian angel too much as noone , not even Twiggy will give money continually if things aren't run his way.

Once again. And perhaps you've missed it previously. There are tax benefits to investing in sports. That's why he's done so through his Minderoo foundation.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom