• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Wayne Smith in today's The Australian in a long piece calls for 'root and branch reform' of the ARU as being essential after the latest 'culling' fiasco.

States that the seemingly binding agreement to grant the Force's survival rights through 2020 was shown to neither SANZAAR or (on a timely basis) the ARU board.

This is heavy stuff from the typically timid and deferential (to the ARU) Smith.
How could a mere executive have authority to do that?
Equally, if Pulver knew it was to be signed what was his then opinion of the viability of 5 teams?

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Wayne Smith in today's The Australian in a long piece calls for 'root and branch reform' of the ARU as being essential after the latest 'culling' fiasco.

States that the seemingly binding agreement to grant the Force's survival rights through 2020 was shown to neither SANZAAR or (on a timely basis) the ARU board.

This is heavy stuff from the typically timid and deferential (to the ARU) Smith.

True, like many on these treads, Smith consistently adopted a sychophantic defence of the ARU and the QRU. How he's changed his tune. He was at the front of the line singing the praises of Pulver and Super 18 and the attached broadcast agreements as the saviours of the code.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Equally, if Pulver knew it was to be signed what was his then opinion of the viability of 5 teams?

I think that I remarked about 50 pages ago, that the organisational culture of the ARU encouraged neither accountability nor sound decision-making processess. This is more evidence of that (as if any was needed).

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)

We know from the article that I posted yesterday that he was in no doubt that 5 teams were viable. (Assuming that he was telling the truth that is)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There's a specific thread for ideas for the NRC - perhaps that chat should go there.

Over on the schools forum, we've quarantined scholarships into it's own thread so it doesn't derail discussions. I think it' time we had a separate thread for anyone who wishes to vent against the Shute Shield - FFS, the same small group of 4 or 5 people manage to get almost any discussion on Australian rugby back to a rant against the Shute Shield.

Guys, we get that you don't like it, we get that you think it's responsible for all the woes that the game faces, we get that it gives you something to hate. By all means start a thread and go for your lives.

As written above you "get" it wrong. But thread started.

Quick Hands

David Wilson (68)
Lots of us can see the past. Very few can forecast the future.

But some things are foreseeable. Much of what has come to pass was foreseen on these threads (and other places) years ago. Individual decisions were also evaluated and again, what has come to pass was largely predicted.

So yes, very few of us can forecast the future. But most of us make decisions based on foreseeable consequences and adjust our strategies and expenditure accordingly. None of us get everything right, but most of us manage to get most things right. Sadly there are a few who get few things right - sadly they are the people that we have running rugby.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
True, like many on these treads, Smith consistently adopted a sychophantic defence of the ARU and the QRU. How he's changed his tune. He was at the front of the line singing the praises of Pulver and Super 18 and the attached broadcast agreements as the saviours of the code.

Perhaps can now see that his supporters are about to be axed so he no longer needs to toe the company line to get his news feeds.

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
I thought this was the best place to put my yearly bitch about the unfairness of the conference system. Despite being dominant this year, NZ sides would get only one home quarter final.

1492903665148-upload-c06828c1-491f-4432-bb57-275db6a4e559.png

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
I'd want the northern beaches as a new franchise enclave, cut off from the north shore by the Spit and Roseville bridges.

How about something like:

Northern Beaches (perhaps with a 2nd home in the Central Coast?)
North Sydney (including North Shore, Hills District, Ryde, Hornsby Shire)
Western Sydney
'Sydney' (East/Inner West/Southern)
Newcastle/Hunter
2 teams from Brisbane (North and South?)
Gold Coast
Melbourne
Perth
Canberra
Fiji

12 team competition, home and away plus 6 team finals with a shorter representative season above it played mid season - either a state of origin series (NSW, QLD and Combined States) or a shorter format Super Rugby, and local club rugby beneath it. Each team could also have a sevens squad.

Other potential locations for teams: North QLD, Central Coast (as an independent team), Adelaide, Samoa, Tonga, Asia?

Pick the Wallabies from anywhere.

Maybe this isn't it, but whatever the answer is (to the question 'how do we stop and reverse the decline of rugby in this country?') it just has to be something that better connects the professional level of the game in Australia to the grassroots. There are too many rugby participants and people with a general interest in the sport that don't care about Super Rugby.

kickedmyheight

Frank Nicholson (4)
How about something like:

Northern Beaches (perhaps with a 2nd home in the Central Coast?)
North Sydney (including North Shore, Hills District, Ryde, Hornsby Shire)
Western Sydney
'Sydney' (East/Inner West/Southern)
Newcastle/Hunter
2 teams from Brisbane (North and South?)
Gold Coast
Melbourne
Perth
Canberra
Fiji

12 team competition, home and away plus 6 team finals with a shorter representative season above it played mid season - either a state of origin series (NSW, QLD and Combined States) or a shorter format Super Rugby, and local club rugby beneath it. Each team could also have a sevens squad.

We appear to be locked into Super Rugby until at least 2020 at this stage, so that gives us a short window of time to grow the NRC into something more viable and closer to a professional competition. What we have now is a good start but we need to push hard to make it bigger and better and much more visible. My personal preference is for the current 8 teams plus the incoming Pacific team as well as Adelaide to grow the national footprint copying the A-League set up (10 teams, 3 x round robin followed by finals) but I am more than prepared to accept other variations if there is a better solution for the East Coast representation which will engage the existing clubs better. I don't think cluns being promoted from local rugby is the answer though as it is too likely to create a system of haves and have nots and disengage the fans of whichever teams don't get promoted. I would expect that Randwick fans would be more likely to support an amalgamated entity which features their players than they would be to support Uni if that was the club to be promoted for example.

The main thing needed is hardcore promotion. As many games as possible on FTA and visible promotion of games locally to build the crowds that attend.

We have to have faith that rugby is an enjoyable game to watch when played well. After all, that is why we are all fans! If we get our game in front of more people in an easily digestible fashion I am certain the fan base will start rising again.

If we then have a functional NRC by the time we start the 2021 and beyond Super negotiations then suddenly we have more options and can afford to look more critically at Super Rugby to ensure we continue with a competition which benefits Australian rugby and grows the game, whether this is Super Rugby or something else.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

Omar Comin'

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ew.

4 team finals please. Don't reward Mediocrity with post season positions.

Well it's not the most important part haha. I'd actually originally put down 14 teams then decided it was probably too many and didn't think to change the number in the finals. But there's positives and negatives with either 4 or 6. A 5 team finals series could also be an option.

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
The bulk of the ARU finances seem to come from the Wallabies and the international Tests right?

If they pull out of SANZAAR then no more Rugby Championship Tests for them. No to mention how much worse the Wallaby team will be for playing amongst themselves instead of against the best in the world like they currently do in Super Rugby.

The ARU (and SA) seems to be trying to correct a mistake they made by expanding the number of Australian teams in Super Rugby which is killing interest in not just AUS rugby but in the whole comp but so many people here just want to break away and do your own comp. With the same players that are getting you the crappy rugby results you've endured for the last 2 years at least. Some are even wanting a comp played by different rules than the rest of the world will be playing by. How shit of a Wallaby team do you want?!

It's like some of you want an AFL-esque or NRL-lite situation where you're almost the only people on the planet who play that game so you can't lose.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.