• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Super Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
There is a simpler answer but the mates in the establishment turned one of em down after he offered up some serious coin. One of the major problems we've got in rugby is the elitist and outdated thinking of the people in charge. Time to get out of the dark ages and start to think outside the square as much as that would upset all your Eastwood and Shute shield patch wearing hombres.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Any other meaningless cliches to throw around, Boof?

So Twiggy is not part of the "establishment" is he?

If he wanted to put some serious coin into the Force, he had many years to do it. Why didn't he?

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
To correct you my ray of sunshine he actually did put serious coin in with the Force Foundation and jersey sponsorship etc. Hence the benefits of the players that were starting to come through and also the players that the establishment are now raising the salary cap for. As to not financially backing the Force originally no one over here thought it was necessary as per the now shifty alliance agreement. I'm just trying to remember the name of that other billionaire that's offered his coin to the ARU? Can you help me out with his name?

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Any other meaningless cliches to throw around, Boof?

So Twiggy is not part of the "establishment" is he?

If he wanted to put some serious coin into the Force, he had many years to do it. Why didn't he?

Andrew Forrest has been involved with the Western Force from the get go and was a key sponsor of the Force Foundation after the EARU removed the funding for 2-3 years. Forrest didn't get involved as he like the WF Board and RugbyWA actually believed that the Alliance Agreement was the way forward for ALL Aussie Super Rugby teams. The ARU declined to offer the same kind of support that it has so freely offered all other franchises - especially the MRRU. I suggest that Rugby in Australia would be better served if you directed your questions to the EARU Board.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
There is a simpler answer but the mates in the establishment turned one of em down after he offered up some serious coin. One of the major problems we've got in rugby is the elitist and outdated thinking of the people in charge. Time to get out of the dark ages and start to think outside the square as much as that would upset all your Eastwood and Shute shield patch wearing hombres.

Out of interest how does Eastwood become "the people in charge"? In theory none of the SS clubs have much in the way of cash to plough into kids coming out of school.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Boof, ever read something that is very ironic. Especially were the writer or speaker will claim great injustice and proudly, loudly and with great spirit, insist nay demand you listen to their view. Often sighting examples of how they have been wronged.

Very often becoming annoyed with people who cannot see the logic of what they are saying.

Further the get over it, line never quite works for them, they will go to the grave with the injustices and wrongs done to them.

I think I understand your view on the devious, underhanded, Machiavellian even way the Force have been treated. We have no argument I am on your side, so accept Yes an answer.

BUT, yes that word BUT, I have a bone to pick with you. The condescending almost patronising dismissal of Shute Shield say Eastwood folk.

Just assume for the sake of the excise in Melbourne, a new AFL international competition was established and all the Melbourne AFL teams were raided of their best players and a new team called Melbourne the Great was formed.

So we tell all the supporters of the existing AFL teams, to stop giving your main support to your team and give it to Melbourne the Great. Then assume those running the competition stuff it up but everyone keeps telling you to get over it you must support Melbourne the Great.

The SS is connected to club rugby and the grassroots park teams and during the 60’s & 70’s commended much respect, a lot of media, and produced many great players.

In summary it’s ironic you want respect for the few tears the Force has been it and we should all see how you have been wronged. But a competition with over a 100 years history producing many of our best players and robbed of all its best and told to be quite and go sit in the corner is OK.

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Eastwood = Papworth. No fan of the Force, having used his bully pulpit to call for their axing from day dot and instrumental in lobbying for an increase in funding to "grass roots" i.e. - Shield.

You can't tell me that there wasn't a deal done. The ARU went from "pissing it up the wall" to grassroots gardeners as quickly as the need for a "national footprint" was turfed.

I'm sure Papworth will be thrilled with the 50 bucks coming the Eastwood direction from the mythical "$6 million" "saved" from the Force's demise.

chibimatty

Jimmy Flynn (14)
Just assume for the sake of the excise in Melbourne, a new AFL international competition was established and all the Melbourne AFL teams were raided of their best players and a new team called Melbourne the Great was formed.

So we tell all the supporters of the existing AFL teams, to stop giving your main support to your team and give it to Melbourne the Great. Then assume those running the competition stuff it up but everyone keeps telling you to get over it you must support Melbourne the Great.

You know Half, that whole scenario is exactly what happened to the Western Australian Football League when the West Coast Eagles entered the then-VFL. I wonder if it was similar to the BRL when the Broncos came in?

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Lads I never once said stop supporting your Shute teams etc. My point was we need to stop letting them make or encourage the decisions in the background of the establishment. The non forward thinking is what's got us all here in the first place. Any time someone wants to come up with a cracking new idea it seems to be poo pooed or dragged down because it doesn't suit the Shute or Queensland comps.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
Chibimatty & Boof

Chibimatty, spot on that's what happen in Brisbane, the existing RL competition was effectively isolated and reduced to an after through.

Boof, I think your idea on how powerful the SS teams are is not in line with there real power.

What is true however is they want to be included in the conversation about the future and want to say what they can contribute.

Whenever they do, or they say consider this its very often howled down.

Rant over.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Chibimatty & Boof

Chibimatty, spot on that's what happen in Brisbane, the existing RL competition was effectively isolated and reduced to an after through.

Boof, I think your idea on how powerful the SS teams are is not in line with there real power.

What is true however is they want to be included in the conversation about the future and want to say what they can contribute.

Whenever they do, or they say consider this its very often howled down.

Rant over.

There is certainly a world of difference between the SRU and the NSWRU. One has ARU influence and patronage. The other one runs the most effective rugby competition in Aus. May the IPCRU take that mantle, but for now it’s truer than not.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
There is certainly a world of difference between the SRU and the NSWRU. One has ARU influence and patronage. The other one runs the most effective rugby competition in Aus. May the IPCRU take that mantle, but for now it’s truer than not.

The Sydney Rugby Union is a sub-union/subsidiary of the NSWRU.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
The Sydney Rugby Union is a sub-union/subsidiary of the NSWRU.

Well understood by me, BH. Not so sure about the NSWRU though. They refused to answer my questions regarding their funding under the title “community” and no one at all here on G&GR says any funds have been received.

NSWRU sure don’t run the SS. NSWRU sure as heck supported formally the shrink to greatness. SRU have no ability to do that.

In short there may be a formal relationship, but my earlier post stands on its merits.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I think the relationship is closer than you are suggesting. The President of the SRU is a board member of the NSWRU. Another one or two board members of the SRU are appointed by NSWRU. They spent $650k on Premiership Rugby in 2016.

I agree the SRU is doing an excellent job running club rugby and it has had something of a resurgence in the last couple of years. Suggesting it is entirely different from the NSWRU is not true though.

Likewise the Shute Shield clubs that make up the SRU (and contribute several of the board members there) have a NSWRU board member so I am not sure how you can separate them from the NSWRU supporting the "shrink to greatness" plan. They are an influential part of the NSWRU board and always have been.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
I think the relationship is closer than you are suggesting. The President of the SRU is a board member of the NSWRU. Another one or two board members of the SRU are appointed by NSWRU. They spent $650k on Premiership Rugby in 2016.

I agree the SRU is doing an excellent job running club rugby and it has had something of a resurgence in the last couple of years. Suggesting it is entirely different from the NSWRU is not true though.

Likewise the Shute Shield clubs that make up the SRU (and contribute several of the board members there) have a NSWRU board member so I am not sure how you can separate them from the NSWRU supporting the "shrink to greatness" plan. They are an influential part of the NSWRU board and always have been.

Agree with the sentiment, but wasn't the SRU aligned with the ARU and not the NSWRU until relatively recently?

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Well that IS news to me. I chased this issue hard some time back. Strange I did not get these responses then.

At any rate if they are part of those decisions then the earlier claim by Boof is legit.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
wasn't the SRU aligned with the ARU and not the NSWRU until relatively recently?

Yeah, they existed, then didn't exist, then were re-created. Were an ARU affiliate for around 5–6 years.

The relationships between the premier clubs and the NSWRU, and more recently ARU, has been weird going back a long time, depending on who the said clubs had a shitty liver with at the time.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
As we all know our plan to expand is to shrink the teams from a mega big 5 to a massive 4.

Basketball plans to expand by four maybe more teams and could have the backing of the AFL. https://thewest.com.au/sport/basket...eyes-expansion-across-australia-ng-b88656755z

RL is stealing the PI islands, but thats an aside, both League and AFL are investing in women's competitions.

Basketball was almost broke, and has dragged itself up again, for the love of the holy mother mother Mary we need to change the board and get some people who know how to grow a business.

BTW the four team expansion I read somewhere else a while ago, I mention it hear as by having using AFL teams facilities it makes perfect sense for both sports.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
As we all know our plan to expand is to shrink the teams from a mega big 5 to a massive 4.

Basketball plans to expand by four maybe more teams and could have the backing of the AFL. https://thewest.com.au/sport/basket...eyes-expansion-across-australia-ng-b88656755z

RL is stealing the PI islands, but thats an aside, both League and AFL are investing in women's competitions.

Basketball was almost broke, and has dragged itself up again, for the love of the holy mother mother Mary we need to change the board and get some people who know how to grow a business.

BTW the four team expansion I read somewhere else a while ago, I mention it hear as by having using AFL teams facilities it makes perfect sense for both sports.

And Ice Hockey has 8 teams in the AIHL ... The problem is that our teams are in direct competition with the NZ teams who have significantly more depth and have been able to survive the loss of talent overseas much better. There would be similar problems if our A-League teams had to play the Premier League as part of our main competition or in Basketball if the NBL teams had to play the NBA teams. In League and AFL, no one cares because no one else really plays the sport (yes I know there is a world cup in League currently running). The international nature of Super Rugby may have been great for Australian rugby for the first 10 years but it is now clearly a chain dragging down the sport.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
And Ice Hockey has 8 teams in the AIHL .. The international nature of Super Rugby may have been great for Australian rugby for the first 10 years but it is now clearly a chain dragging down the sport.

Very astute observation, will reply in greater detail on the weekend. But in honesty it worked for only the first few years, as I said much more latter, to busy at work to write what I want to say but will do over the weekend.

Status
Not open for further replies.