• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
How much money to play for Sri Lanka, Brunei or the Solomon Islands?

The strong take from this model is a central recruitment pool of pro rugby players to play alongside the marquees

It's almost like a draft by other means.

So whether you're a player for Brunei, Bishkek, Bihar Sharif, or Bulawayo … (or indeed, Bonython, Balga or Broadmeadows) …

… the pay scale will be the same as Brisbane

Banter aside, it's a good way to go. It may operate alongside local deals for various teams, who knows

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
But the most likely option will be March 2019. That would clash with Super Rugby but give IPRC time to organise the mammoth operation that includes player recruitment and broadcasting rights.

Not the best idea.............

There's a little thing called the Rugby World Cup that year.

B

BLR

Not the best idea.....

There's a little thing called the Rugby World Cup that year.

A competition which means little to us in the West now and to most of the countries due to be in the comp. So don't you worry Slimmy boy.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
The IPRC has apparently been contacted by over 250 players wanting in.

How many of them post on this board? I think a combined G&GR team would be pretty competitive......... I haven't suited up in nearly two decades, and my knee is fucked........ but first dibs on the 8 jersey.

T

TOCC

None of the posts above contribute to this thread in anyway besides antagonising other forumers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

half

Alan Cameron (40)
How many of them post on this board? I think a combined G&GR team would be pretty competitive... I haven't suited up in nearly two decades, and my knee is fucked.... but first dibs on the 8 jersey.

I'll be the 9 the yappy half, constantly telling you how slow you are and to push harder in the rucks, to stabilise the scrums better, not to miss so many tackles, to ensure you protect me from those nasty pigs on the other side. Telling you to get to the line outs earlier as you surely are one of the lifters..

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Does it really impact you if some of the fans have overly optimistic hopes about the competition? So they’ve had a shit year after losing their team and want something to look forward to. I don’t blame them. I don’t agree with everything said, but it’s not really something I’m going to lose sleep over either. If it bothers you that match then maybe don’t visit the thread.

I'm not expecting to be at the level of Super Rugby. Doesn't need to be to deliver an entertaining product anyway. I just don't think it will be as poor as Slim thinks. More NRC level. Which would be a good platform to build from.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I'm not expecting to be at the level of Super Rugby. Doesn't need to be to deliver an entertaining product anyway. I just don't think it will be as poor as Slim thinks. More NRC level. Which would be a good platform to build from.

In markets they are aiming for - NRC level could be good enough - if well marketed - which at least will have the money for that. Realistically they need to include some local players from home unions and that would mean to my mind more likely NRC level. But their central player model of allocating marquees is a good one to ensure talent evenly distributed. International rugby has a lot of appeal and by having teams branded as Sri Lanka etc playing oz force would add to appeal to watch as long as of course evenly matched teams. Lot of detail need to see but whilst risky I think great initiative to attempt to expand the game in key Asian markets and does offer appeal to me.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The 2019 start is fine. There's no June test series due to the RWC so it will presumably run until roughly the same time Super Rugby ends and then the truncated Rugby Championship will start.

Any additional expenditure on rugby in Australia and the region is a good thing. This is definitely a positive for Australian rugby.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
In markets they are aiming for - NRC level could be good enough - if well marketed - which at least will have the money for that. Realistically they need to include some local players from home unions and that would mean to my mind more likely NRC level. But their central player model of allocating marquees is a good one to ensure talent evenly distributed. International rugby has a lot of appeal and by having teams branded as Sri Lanka etc playing oz force would add to appeal to watch as long as of course evenly matched teams. Lot of detail need to see but whilst risky I think great initiative to attempt to expand the game in key Asian markets and does offer appeal to me.

I suspect each team will have a strong core of 'marquee' players back up by local talent. Which means it's not going to exactly be bush league quality. It will also allow for many of the better local players to train with and learn from these professionals which will improve their standards as well.

Honestly, I enjoy the NRC more than Super Rugby at present. Mainly because at that level players are still willing to have a go and show off some really nice skill. If they get anywhere near that standard of the bat it will be in a good place.

The NRC is a wonderfully entertaining standard of the game that desperately needs greater promotion and if the IPRC hits the same level , which I think it may, then with the right promotion and marketing it will provide the markets in which it operates with a compelling product. From there is has potentially a great deal of room to grow.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The 2019 start is fine. There's no June test series due to the RWC so it will presumably run until roughly the same time Super Rugby ends and then the truncated Rugby Championship will start.

Any additional expenditure on rugby in Australia and the region is a good thing. This is definitely a positive for Australian rugby.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

Agreed. Cannot see any issues in regarding to its slated window. I've been a fan of the idea of looking more toward our own region for competition for a while. It's not going to be easy and will take time and money to develop but any investment in such a large region cannot hurt. Especially when it comes to our game. I'm not going to say 'if we capture just 1% of the market' or some such crap. But I am going to point out that this is still a growing region on practically every front. Certainly economically. We constantly talk about needing to grow our revenue streams and Asia does offer a fairly interesting opportunity to do just that.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

The issue is that if they have their eye on any Wallabies or other test stars - most top players will already be contracted through to the end of 2019 as they chase RWC ambitions.........

As we've seen in the past, there likely won't be much player movement until the end of that year.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The issue is that if they have their eye on any Wallabies or other test stars - most top players will already be contracted through to the end of 2019 as they chase RWC ambitions...

As we've seen in the past, there likely won't be much player movement until the end of that year.

I don't expect any players with serious Wallaby aspirations will be playing this competition in 2019.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Indo Pacific Rugby Championship – Tokyo Meeting
5 November, 2017 in News, Featured, IPRC, #IPRC by Khuram Haroon
Representatives from the following World Rugby Full Member unions travelled at the invitation of IPRC to hear the ideas being put forward for the Region to be able to host this high level competition, the Indo Pacific Rugby Championship starting in 2019

Chinese Taipei
Guam
Hong Kong
India
Indonesia
Malaysia
Philippines
Pakistan
Thailand
UAE
The IPRC is being funded by philanthropist Mr Andrew Forrest from Australia. Andrew met all the attendees in person and commented, “It was fantastic that so many people from so many different unions were able to get up to Tokyo at such short notice to hear what we had to say about the exciting future of Rugby in the Region.

Although we were only able to send out invitations on Monday this week, yet the enthusiasm and willingness of so many unions to get here, despite the obvious difficulties with short notice and possible visa issues, was truly outstanding.

Unions that would otherwise perhaps not have been able to hear us first-hand seized the opportunity to travel up and hear what the future possibly held for everyone”

“It certainly bodes well for us to see the willingness and ability of Asia Rugby to respond so quickly and positively to the initiatives being put forward.”

Asia Rugby’s World Rugby Council Member, Trevor Gregory, who was one of those who attended said, “This is an amazing opportunity for us in Asia to really develop the game at the performance level.

World Rugby,Rugby Australia and Asia Rugby are on the same page and are all now working closely together to try to ensure the success of this visionary project which can provide a stepping stone for many of our participating unions to the next level.

This will affect not only the players, but for the unions themselves; their infrastructure and support, including administration and match officiating. It is even more exciting that we are talking about not just the men’s game, but also women’s competitions as well, both at 15’s and 7’s. I am personally delighted that this very important meeting was able to take place.and our thanks to Andrew and his team for their inspirational vision as detailed in a very professional presentation. ”

https://www.asiarugby.com/2017/11/05/indo-pacific-rugby-championship/

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
Just a thought bubble but lets name some of the players plying their trade overseas that should be Wallabies, if given the chance, that potentially will come back for the coin that Twiggy is, I repeat IS, going to and willing to pay these guys to come back. To start with Liam Gill, Ben Mowen, Matt To'omua, luke Jones, Kieran Longbottom.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
If you were prioritising the guys to bring back based on their value as potential Wallabies I would order them roughly:

To'omua
Jones
White
Gill
Skelton
Pyle
O'Connor

I can't think of any others that would really be in the picture.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
As a roughie but definitely above NRC as well would be Leroy Houston. I'm trying to prove that there is players above NRC level that potentially can fill these teams and that doesn't even scratch the surface for the Saffers and Kiwis as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.