• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

BLR

How is he doing that? So far this competition hardly looks like threatening Super Rugby....

And for that reason I think Rugby Au will support it.

Considering the ARU seem to be hell bent on destroying rugby in WA that's why. Example, the ARU told the RugbyWA with a sneer that the Spirit were included in the Alliance Agreement so would be gone at the end of the season as well, despite the media spin they have attempted I believe this will be the case.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Mate, if it hits similar quality to the NRC then its on the right track. We all know how entertaining that level of the game is. I also wouldn't be too critical of this structure in my opinion as I fully expect to see the other 4 Aus franchises participating in it post 2020.

The quality of the teams proposed are well below that of NRC level..........

D

daz

Whatever happens post-2020, and if Super Rugby folds/changes/continues as is, I fail to see Oz rugby turning away from the current schedule, and going full hog into a comp that has no ability to place Super Rugby/Wallaby talent against top shelf opponents.

I fully concede there may be changes in 2020, but seriously, anyone who thinks the ARU is going to develop world class players in Australia by going against Sri Lanka or Malaysia is deluded.

Let’s call this comp what it is; a trans-national regional club rugby standard tournament, that allows for non-traditional rugby nations to have a bite of the cherry, and for Twiggy to keep his promise to keep the Forces’s name alive.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
I fail to see Oz rugby turning away from the current schedule, and going full hog into a comp that has no ability to place Super Rugby/Wallaby talent against top shelf opponents.

Because that's not how it would happen.

I fully concede there may be changes in 2020

Concession accepted.

but seriously, anyone who thinks the ARU is going to develop world class players in Australia by going against Sri Lanka or Malaysia is deluded.

Let’s call this comp what it is; a trans-national regional club rugby standard tournament, that allows for non-traditional rugby nations to have a bite of the cherry, and for Twiggy to keep his promise to keep the Forces’s name alive.

It's actually great to have. Players from Oz, PI, even NZ playing in WA … but also these guys as players on a team from Malaysia.

And getting paid competitive professional player salaries, in some cases better than Soup. :)

s4eamxv.jpg

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
The quality of the teams proposed are well below that of NRC level....

But you're assuming that these teams are just going to be re-badged national teams. Everything said so far suggests that this will not be the case. They'll likely have a solid mix of imported talent. Also, how sure can we be that the NRC squads are so much better than say Hong Kong?

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Whatever happens post-2020, and if Super Rugby folds/changes/continues as is, I fail to see Oz rugby turning away from the current schedule, and going full hog into a comp that has no ability to place Super Rugby/Wallaby talent against top shelf opponents.

I fully concede there may be changes in 2020, but seriously, anyone who thinks the ARU is going to develop world class players in Australia by going against Sri Lanka or Malaysia is deluded.

Again. And hopefully for the final time. These won't necessarily be re-badged national teams. They'll franchises based in those nations but with the ability to recruit externally. This really isn't a hard concept to get your head around.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)

early days Daz,easy to be a cynical bastard without knowing the details of the comp,isn't it?

B

BLR

Again. And hopefully for the final time. These won't necessarily be re-badged national teams. They'll franchises based in those nations but with the ability to recruit externally. This really isn't a hard concept to get your head around.

I wonder if subconsciously with the posters saying that it will be farm grade quality it is ignorance over the recruiting strategy or simply not wanting to believe the recruiting strategy because a system like that would be pretty bloody good in Super Rugby and a tinge of jealousy comes through?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You've seen who the teams have signed?

Who are they going to draw away from Super Rugby, Europe or even the Japanese league by what's being offered so far?

Locally, maybe some fringe NRC and club players but that's about it.

T

TOCC

The quality of the teams proposed are well below that of NRC level....

Ah get over it mate. This is great news, stop acting like such a wet blanket over the whole thing. Any person willing to invest their own money to get a semi-professional Rugby competiton up and running in Australia’s own neighbourhood is a positive thing.

So it won’t be as competitive as Super Rugby, so what!? It’s still a new competition to encourage growth of rugby in new regions and provides the western force fans with a team to support.

Of course Twiggy isn’t going to come out and say ‘the standard of rugby will be below NRC’, that would go down like shit trying to attract investors and players.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Ah get over it mate. This is great news, stop acting like such a wet blanket over the whole thing. Any person willing to invest their own money to get a semi-professional Rugby competiton up and running in Australia’s own neighbourhood is a positive thing.

So it won’t be as competitive as Super Rugby, so what!? It’s still a new conception to encourage growth of rugby in new regions and provides the western force fans with a team to support.

I also think it's great, and I've repeatedly said as much............ my posts are quite clearly directed at the deluded few who believe this is somehow going to shake up the ARU and threaten the Soup.

It could be fantastic for the lower tiered Asian countries participating.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
well,Brunei and the Solomon Islands are not in the mix,are they?--as for Sri Lanka,many players will be recruited from elsewhere

Highlander35

Andrew Slack (58)
Quite a few avenues for player recruitment outside the NRC, even if the quality isn't necessarily of the highest standard.

Super Rugby Window means it's outside top league window: potential for doubling up. Similar principle for Currie Cup and Mitre 10. I'd imagine a lot of the Drua would be up for consideration as well.

I know the SRU were looking to increase their involvement with the Force after testing the waters with the loaning of Carmichael, they may look to do so in the new structure too.

Lots of potential to build one way or the other.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

T

TOCC

I also think it's great, and I've repeatedly said as much.... my posts are quite clearly directed at the deluded few who believe this is somehow going to shake up the ARU and threaten the Soup.

Does it really impact you if some of the fans have overly optimistic hopes about the competition? So they’ve had a shit year after losing their team and want something to look forward to. I don’t blame them. I don’t agree with everything said, but it’s not really something I’m going to lose sleep over either. If it bothers you that match then maybe don’t visit the thread.

brokendown

Vay Wilson (31)
I also think it's great, and I've repeatedly said as much.... my posts are quite clearly directed at the deluded few who believe this is somehow going to shake up the ARU and threaten the Soup.

so,you think twiggy is deluded then?

Status
Not open for further replies.