• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

SouthernX

Jim Lenehan (48)
Ahhhh, this comp will never happen! :p
I think this comp will happen. Had Clive Palmer being proposing this (like his mothballed Titanic 2 project) then i say nope. But has Twiggy yet put his name to a unsuccessful project? IDK. Seems like he has the capital to backup his words.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I think this comp will happen. Had Clive Palmer being proposing this (like his mothballed Titanic 2 project) then i say nope. But has Twiggy yet put his name to a unsuccessful project? IDK. Seems like he has the capital to backup his words.

I'm saying that its far more likely to happen than not. People seem to be caught up in the thinking that he's going to be funding everything himself which isn't the case. He's paying most of the initial operating costs but the actual teams will be run by their respective owners/Unions.

B

BLR

I'm saying that its far more likely to happen than not. People seem to be caught up in the thinking that he's going to be funding everything himself which isn't the case. He's paying most of the initial operating costs but the actual teams will be run by their respective owners/Unions.

I think as well people are caught up with the ineptness of the ARU run comps and don't realise there are people in the world who are capable of doing their jobs/

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
So the IPRC was hoping for feedback from the EARU by Thursday.
I understand that none was forthcoming.
Sad to have an EARU Board that is so quick to make the WRONG decisions and so slow to make the RIGHT ones.
Four Aussie franchises haven't got the room for Australia's best hooker - what a circus.
Maybe the IPRC will just establish itself off shore so it can work separate from the EARU and just co-operate with the IRB and Rugby nations in the Indo - Pacific region.
The PERTH FORCE doesn't need its IP and licence to represent Australia in the proposed competition.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Thanks wcr - still waiting to see details of ownership and funding structure.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
So the IPRC was hoping for feedback from the EARU by Thursday.
I understand that none was forthcoming.
Sad to have an EARU Board that is so quick to make the WRONG decisions and so slow to make the RIGHT ones.
Four Aussie franchises haven't got the room for Australia's best hooker - what a circus.
Maybe the IPRC will just establish itself off shore so it can work separate from the EARU and just co-operate with the IRB and Rugby nations in the Indo - Pacific region.
The PERTH FORCE doesn't need its IP and licence to represent Australia in the proposed competition.

The thing is, if World Rugby are keen but the RA are dragging their heels it could lead to seeing the competition being sanctioned regardless of what RA want. And could see it run during the same window as Super Rugby. Which I don't mind. Watching the NRC semi replay I reckon they'd do well to contract most of these blokes in the Spirit. Certainly be competitive at the level the IPRC will initially kick off at.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Indo Pacific Rugby Championship will go head-to-head against Super Rugby in 2019.

Perth-based Indo Pacific Rugby Championship thumbs up

Nick Taylor

Sunday, 5 November 2017 1:38PM

… IPRC and Rugby Australia today agreed on a number of principles for the six-team competition that will include a “Western Force” side.

… Importantly, Rugby Australia has not ruled out the possibility of IPRC players being eligible for the Wallabies.

“Further consideration to be given to allowing players in the Western Australian team to be eligible for the Wallabies,” it said.

IPRC has agreed to work with Rugby Australia to repatriate players who have been lost overseas to join the new “Western Force” side.

However, it is understood that IPRC wants Australian players in all sides to be eligible for national selection.

… They will also explore the possibility of using IPRC teams as “sister clubs” to support player, coach and match official development.

The final six teams will be announced for World Rugby to sanction at a board meeting on November 14.

World Rugby chief executive Brett Gosper welcomed the progress.

“World Rugby is supportive of the IPRC’s objective to further help grow the game of rugby throughout the Indo Pacific region,” Gosper said.

“This massive region of the world is a key priority of World Rugby’s mission to grow the game globally.”

https://thewest.com.au/sport/rugby-...ic-rugby-championship-thumbs-up-ng-b88650670z

B

BLR

ARU doing nothing like usual. Seems they are willing to accept the premise as long as they get first dibs on the best players in Australia BUT can also choose to pull players out of our teams to play for the Wallabies.

Hopefully when presented to World Rugby they tell the ARU to do one.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
ARU doing nothing like usual. Seems they are willing to accept the premise as long as they get first dibs on the best players in Australia BUT can also choose to pull players out of our teams to play for the Wallabies.

Isn't the suggestion it will be on at the same time as super rugby?

The wallabies wouldn't be playing at that time.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

Why would they do that when they've already ruled that all players during a test window must be made available?

Also, the Super Rugby teams already have taken first dibs........... I don't see the Twiggy comp being able to compete with Super Rugby as the teams proposed so far could barely compete in club rugby..........

Hopefully it will help to promote rugby in the region, but the quality will not be able to match what's already on offer here, and for that reason it won't attract too many top players.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So what's happening in 2018?

They will have a low-key “trial run” of the tournament next year.

Plus it will allow IPR time to organise the big operation that includes player recruitment and broadcasting rights.

More details here

…The current SANZAAR broadcasting rights deals run out in 2020 and with Super Rugby proving to be unpopular with many fans and players it would also provide an alternative competition.

Some players have indicated they would join IPRC because they no longer want to play Super Rugby or want to return home from Europe with their families, IPRC representatives say.

Star Wallabies and overseas players have already been sounded out and Forrest has potential Asian backers for the four months competition of 10 home-and-away rounds plus finals.

Forrest has not yet nominated a salary cap but said the IPRC would offer lucrative contracts to help stem the overseas flood of Australian players.

… Forrest also wants the return of the Force intellectual property, including the name, bought by the governing body for $800,000 last year with a guarantee it could be bought back by the now defunct club.

He has said that it should be sold back for $1 - the amount Rugby AU sold the Melbourne Rebels to New Zealand businessman Andrew Cox and the same amount he sold it to the Victorian Rugby Union to effectively prevent the club’s closure ahead of the Force.

Those deals are the focus of a senate inquiry into Australian rugby that will announce its findings later this month.

B

BLR

Why would they do that when they've already ruled that all players during a test window must be made available?

Also, the Super Rugby teams already have taken first dibs..... I don't see the Twiggy comp being able to compete with Super Rugby as the teams proposed so far could barely compete in club rugby....

Hopefully it will help to promote rugby in the region, but the quality will not be able to match what's already on offer here, and for that reason it won't attract too many top players.

So the ARU can shift all our teams players to the Rebels and then with the IPRC starts say 'too bad'. What a smash and grab.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
So the ARU can shift all our teams players to the Rebels and then with the IPRC starts say 'too bad'. What a smash and grab.

Well, they didn't shift them....... those players signed with the Rebels.

And obviously if the ARU allow Wallaby eligible players to play with Twiggy ball, then yes, under World Rugby they have to be made available to the Wallabies during the test window.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
If the comp stays March to June it will work a lot better after 2020 when the June window shifts to July. They might have to run their finals with no internationals in the first year.

The standard of the other teams the Force will be playing remains the greatest hurdle. Will be a bit of a coup if they can convince the ARU to make Aussies eligible for all teams.
That might go some way to address it
Would be lots of youngsters here keen to get on board under that setup.

That the ARU hasn't already ruled that out, despite the super rugby clash, shows they are at least participating in the process

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
If the comp stays March to June it will work a lot better after 2020 when the June window shifts to July. They might have to run their finals with no internationals in the first year.

The standard of the other teams the Force will be playing remains the greatest hurdle. Will be a bit of a coup if they can convince the ARU to make Aussies eligible for all teams.

That the ARU hasn't already ruled that out, despite the super rugby clash, shows they are at least participating in the process

if you call being dragged kicking and screaming "participating in the process" then yes. They are trying to create as many loopholes as possible, they know their future is looking grim. Twiggy is "doing them slowly"

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
if you call being dragged kicking and screaming "participating in the process" then yes. They are trying to create as many loopholes as possible, they know their future is looking grim. Twiggy is "doing them slowly"

How is he doing that? So far this competition hardly looks like threatening Super Rugby..........

And for that reason I think Rugby Au will support it.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)

It's a pretty simple sell in my mind. Added depth for the Wallabies. One of the stated objectives early in the piece was to bring a number of Australian players back to a competition more in line with Australia. If this is what we get I can see each of the other 5 squads being filled with a number of Australian players who are currently based overseas. They could then potentially play a Super Rugby vs IPRC trial for squad positions.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
How is he doing that? So far this competition hardly looks like threatening Super Rugby....

And for that reason I think Rugby Au will support it.

Mate, if it hits similar quality to the NRC then its on the right track. We all know how entertaining that level of the game is. I also wouldn't be too critical of this structure in my opinion as I fully expect to see the other 4 Aus franchises participating in it post 2020.

Status
Not open for further replies.