• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Super rugby is subsidised by the money made by international teams, which Super rugby in turn develops players for.

This league will be subsidised by Twiggy.

Both are unideal models, but I can tell you which I think will last longer.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
55k at Singapore Nation stadium http://www.sportshub.com.sg/venues/Pages/national-stadium.aspx 60 K at Perth Stadium. https://perthstadium.com.au 87, 411 at Bukit Jalil National Stadium, Malaysia https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bukit_Jalil_National_Stadium 3 to start with, now just fill them.

The Force already have a stadium at just over 1/3 of the size of that which they can't fill........... This conversations really comes off the rails when we deal in fantasy.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_sports_attendance_figures

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
listen guys,we get that you don't think this comp can be a success-

I don't think that's the case at all......... but as others have put forward - what are our realistic expectations from this competition, and based on that what would be deemed a "success?"

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
It can be a success if Twiggy has got very deep pockets, or if the broadcast rights are very generous.

But if its success is dependent to a significant degree on earning substantial revenues in places like Singapore, Shanghai and KL, it will struggle big time. Even Hong Kong is a bit iffy, it will depend on how quickly the teams pick up some following, starting from scratch.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Of course it is most likely to be underwhelming to start, no surprises there.
But with the people involved and the circumstances that it has come about suggest very strongly that it will grow fast.
Also taking into account that the ARU financials are looking tenuous even if the Wallabies were to win the Cup, then the opposition "Super Rugby" aren't looking that strong.
Also throw into the pot the resolve to fight IPR will dissolve quickly as soon Clyne abdicates see's the IPR getting a lot more concessions.
In the end the ARU dog will come to IPR. IPR just has to sit back and wait while going about their business.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Who are the people involved?

Twiggy?

Matt Hodgson?

Eugenie Buckley?

Who else? Is Sindeberry involved?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
From that article ^^^

As for Forrest, big names like Chinese billionaire Jack Ma have been mooted as potential partners in his venture, officials in Hong Kong have reportedly been receptive to the idea and sources close to Forrest insist there has been a tidal wave of interest from potential players, coaches, broadcasters and sponsors keen to join the show.

The people involved

For rugby, Forrest has already gathered a group of business identities and executives to work on the venture which in all likelihood will not launch until 2018 at the earliest.

Forrest's steering committee includes Geoff Stooke, a long-time Western Australian rugby identity and managing director of Standard Wool Investments and former Wallaby and now Resolute Mining chief executive John Welborn.

The venture, run day-to-day by executives of Forrest's private Minderoo Group such as head of investment John Hartman and Western Force CEO Mark Sinderberry, also has several former rugby and soccer executives working on the logistics.

Among those are Stuart Taggart, a sports futurist who worked on the successful 2003 Rugby World Cup and the ill-fated 2022 soccer World Cup bid, and consultants Eugenie Buckley and Ian Alker, according to one organisational chart doing the rounds.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
BTW who runs the ARU, it's a tiny organisation where the Chairman of the board micro manages the CEO and where the Chairman's offsider also on the board represents the ARU on a working group for the IPR.
Who else? the COO and the CFO have just quit and the CEO has resigned.
Is that it? who actually does the work there, consultants?

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Super rugby is subsidised by the money made by international teams, which Super rugby in turn develops players for.

This league will be subsidised by Twiggy.

Both are unideal models, but I can tell you which I think will last longer.

Yes I agree, one has access to a $1/2 bil annual dividend to support them until they are self sustainable and from then on as backup. And in addition other supporters such as $60bn man Jack Ma. The other has just had to cut a team amongst many other cost cutting savings, which are harmful to the game, just to make ends meet.

T

TOCC

Yes they have financial backing, but $billionaires aren’t in the business of losing money. That been said, Twiggy has put his name to this and intertwined it closely with some of his personal business interests, he won’t want to let it fail either.

There is a happy medium in there somewhere, precisely where we don’t know, and that’s what a lot of this arguing back and forth is over at the moment.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
BTW who runs the ARU, it's a tiny organisation where the Chairman of the board micro manages the CEO and where the Chairman's offsider also on the board represents the ARU on a working group for the IPR.
Who else? the COO and the CFO have just quit and the CEO has resigned.
Is that it? who actually does the work there, consultants?

You are right mate, rugby is a pretty small business in Australia, when you really look at it. But there are hundreds, thousands maybe, or volunteers, thousands of players who do not do it for money, not to mention supporters at all levels.

That’s what keeps the game afloat, not big money from blow ins. And I say that in the nicest possible way.

Tomikin

David Codey (61)
I hope iprc does well but the more from the hurt WA fans about screwing the other clubs the more I hate it.. Stuff like the EARU.. And fuck the TAHS Brumbies QLD Rebels when they crawl too us.. Makes me no longer feel sorry for you

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Who has said that? .

Exactly, people just think success looks different to the way many WA fans are defining it.

Certainly different to how Twiggy has defined it, however I feel as an intelligent man he probably realises that and is selling it the way anyone would.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
You are right mate, rugby is a pretty small business in Australia, when you really look at it. But there are hundreds, thousands maybe, or volunteers, thousands of players who do not do it for money, not to mention supporters at all levels.

That’s what keeps the game afloat, not big money from blow ins. And I say that in the nicest possible way.

Yes agree, we Volunteers are the heart, soul and drivers of Rugby. BUT you need a responsible competent management with a macro pov to ensure that we are all working together in a direction that is compatible with a successful and sustainable future. IMO the current and preceding management groups have been woefully incompetent at doing this with the current mob taking the prize. There is clearly something very wrong with the method of future planning. IMO the strong likelihood is that the IPR management would do a far better job, hopefully they will get the chance.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's definitely not going to be the superstar competition that some want, but I think it would be deemed successful if they can............

- keep rugby alive in WA, and provide pathways into Super Rugby/NRC etc.

- attract modest crowds of around 5,000 - 10,000, particularly throughout the Asian teams

- grow the game throughout Asia, attract more international sponsors, improve the quality of play etc.

- more players on professional contracts

- attract a handful of marquee signings

I think it will struggle for the first few years though, particularly in 2019 with minimal player movement until the end of the year.

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Correct Slim, and between the NRC and this comp it's a full year of games.

You could get a few decent guys to stay in town (or even to come to town). It'd be more than just guys on the way up.

Status
Not open for further replies.