• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

andrewM

Herbert Moran (7)
I hope iprc does well but the more from the hurt WA fans about screwing the other clubs the more I hate it.. Stuff like the EARU.. And fuck the TAHS Brumbies QLD Rebels when they crawl too us.. Makes me no longer feel sorry for you

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk

Hmm..Force fans anger is pretty much directed at the EARU and Rebels IMO. I unashamedly want them to continue struggle financially, if only to prove the Clyne wrong that previous financial performance is no indication of future perfomance..Jeez sounds like he was reading of a product disclosure statement doesn't it? As for the other teams, I wont be supporting them, nor watching them, I will be pretty indifferent to be honest. Ditto Wallabies.

If the ARU want to regain some traction in WA they need to start with

1. Dropping their current efforts to recoup costs of the legal action off RugbyWA
2. Sell back to RugbyWA the Western Force's Intellectual Property - for $1
3. Meet the IPRC's requests for Australian players playing for other IPRC teams be eligible for Wallabies selection

Until they have met these, they will be slagged off at every opportunity by WA Rugby supporters - and deservedly so.

As for IPRC, I'm not yet a full believer, but the more I hear, the more I like it. I think we can get back crowds of around 15,000 for the Force games.
I think the quality of the comp will be reasonable, somewhere between NRC and Super to start with - it all comes down to finding the right coaches and some well known Marquee players for the teams to galvanise support. Having it start in a World Cup year is perfect Maybe a few stars just past their prime won't make it into their countries world cup squads next year and will think about a change of scenery. The IPRC can tap into the hype of the World Cup using these players.

I can see the money and support of Japan and China, the development potential of some of the SE Asia countries and the raw ability of the pacific islanders all blending in to create some exciting teams. Key to the success of all this is putting in the development framework to build the local player pools. Why does this sound so familiar? Local stars - local buy in. Pek was worried about his future. I think he has tremendous opportunities ahead of him. Key to the success of this venture is a strong development and training organisation.

As for the ARU not allowing Australians playing for the other teams to be picked for the Wallabies? I'm sure they will change their mind. It's been curious to note the small number of upcoming Australian players joining NZ teams. In a couple of years, will the temptation to choose them for Wallabies duty become too great? Will the ARU be forced to change its rules then? What if the IPRC finds the next Aussie star - a Beale, or Folau or whoever, and he got his chances courtesy of the HK Dragons and feels committed to them or the dollars are just too good? This is about growing the game, not just in Australia, but the region. ARU need to look out of the box they have built for themselves.

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
Super rugby will die. This comp will bring back all the good players up north and create the first decent rugby comp we have ever had. It will only be a matter of time untill the current super rugby states being in their own sides and then the players will follow.

Sent from my SM-N950F using Tapatalk

Shiggins

Simon Poidevin (60)
It's hilarious comparing it to NRC. It's massive compared to the nrc. Not even comparable.

James Pettifer

Jim Clark (26)
Super rugby will die. This comp will bring back all the good players up north and create the first decent rugby comp we have ever had. It will only be a matter of time untill the current super rugby states being in their own sides and then the players will follow.

I completely hope you are right with this. This is exactly where I hope that it goes.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
You are right mate, rugby is a pretty small business in Australia, when you really look at it. But there are hundreds, thousands maybe, or volunteers, thousands of players who do not do it for money, not to mention supporters at all levels.

That’s what keeps the game afloat, not big money from blow ins. And I say that in the nicest possible way.

Nil respect or appreciation for those self-same volunteers, non-paid players, and of course the supporters at all levels - in WA?

Wam, you and I tend to polemic opinion, either completely aligned or well, not. Naturally it doesn’t at all mean I’m right, just that both of us can’t be. On the “not” side, that particular post is right up there.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
It's hilarious comparing it to NRC. It's massive compared to the nrc. Not even comparable.

103666044-RTX2AQXH.530x298.jpg

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
Nothing has ever gone wrong for a sporting team or organisation that's fate is entirely in the hands of a benevolent billionaire. ;)

dru

Tim Horan (67)
Nothing has ever gone wrong for a sporting team or organisation that's fate is entirely in the hands of a benevolent billionaire. ;)

So our alternate is the benevolent ARU? Sounds like a shit sandwich. At the moment though in WA it is Hobson’s choice. It’s the Twig. Or nothing.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)

well you guys should know, the Rebs have had two wealthy owners do a runner, one seeming to take far more than he gave. In addition you just about sent the Governing body to the wall as well and then there is the broke VRU!

amirite

Chilla Wilson (44)
So our alternate is the benevolent ARU? Sounds like a shit sandwich. At the moment though in WA it is Hobson’s choice. It’s the Twig. Or nothing.

Absolutely, RugbyWA has made something or literally nothing, incredibly commendable.

I just think the people pitching this as something it's not are silly (let alone claiming it will outlast Super rugby).

This will be excellent comp to give young Western Australians the chance to be full time football players, will give expats in foreign nations the chance to watch some decent football, give a few 'has-beens' and 'never-wases' a nice cheque, and hopefully produce some interesting footy along the way. There's no shame in that, but this is not a giant killer.

well you guys should know, the Rebs have had two wealthy owners do a runner, one seeming to take far more than he gave. In addition you just about sent the Governing body to the wall as well and then there is the broke VRU!

The VRU isn't exactly a for profit entity, it's a community sporting organisation. They're broke, in the sense that they live off government grants and what the ARU give them year-to-year, much like RugbyWA. Obviously this model changes with the Rebels ownership, but how remains to be seen.

The Rebels' former ownership structure is the primary reason why they are around and not the Force. Honestly, you're trying to be clever and it's just sad. This isn't Force V Rebels, never was.

I'm going to enjoy my team, it's sad that you can no longer enjoy yours. You're certainly being a dick about it though.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Absolutely, RugbyWA has made something or literally nothing, incredibly commendable.

I just think the people pitching this as something it's not are silly (let alone claiming it will outlast Super rugby).

This will be excellent comp to give young Western Australians the chance to be full time football players, will give expats in foreign nations the chance to watch some decent football, give a few 'has-beens' and 'never-wases' a nice cheque, and hopefully produce some interesting footy along the way. There's no shame in that, but this is not a giant killer.

The VRU isn't exactly a for profit entity, it's a community sporting organisation. They're broke, in the sense that they live off government grants and what the ARU give them year-to-year, much like RugbyWA. Obviously this model changes with the Rebels ownership, but how remains to be seen.

The Rebels' former ownership structure is the primary reason why they are around and not the Force. Honestly, you're trying to be clever and it's just sad. This isn't Force V Rebels, never was.

I'm going to enjoy my team, it's sad that you can no longer enjoy yours. You're certainly being a dick about it though.

You don't seem to be able to make the connection between your comments and others replies, I'll leave you to it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Clearly many people are missing the points presented by the IPRC to date.

Andrew Forrest's motivation for moving on with the IPRC was the axing of the Western Force by the EARU.
His desire is to re-establish and maintain a professional rugby team in Perth to ensure a Perth-based pathway for the development of rugby players IN Western Australia.

The Perth based professional team will be well ABOVE NRC level.
ALL of the discussions with the IRB and EARU has been to recognise the competition as a Tier 2 competition. The NRC is a Tier 3 competition.

The IPRC has stated that the kick-off competition will have 6 Teams (Perth Force + 5 others from the region).
Perth Force will be built up the same way as the Western Force was developed as a professional team. It won't be the old WF team as that's been handed on a platter to the Rebels.
The other teams will be based in the 5 countries drawing upon the local talent but supplementing these teams with a number (nobody has said how many so far) of high level and developing International players.

Matt Hodgson has advised that he's been contacted by >150 Australian and Global players who are extremely keen to be involved in this new development. It includes many big-name players plus Australian-based players. It also includes many Australians currently playing OS who would rather be closer to home.

There have been no statements regarding salary caps or levels of payments other than comments from Forrest that payments will be competitive with those being paid elsewhere.

Forrest does not intend to fund ALL teams - just the Perth team and the organisation. It appears that the member unions/countries will fund their own teams and contribute to the organisation. The IPRC will be professionally managed - unlike SANZAAR and the EARU.

The current IPRC touring party is engaging with all possible Unions to assess their current capability and to work closely with the IRB, Asia Rugby et al to establish specific needs for support and development programs and determine the timetable for entry into the IPRC.

The plan is to quickly grow beyond the initial 6 teams in 2019.
IMO the delay until 2019 is a good thing as it helps to showcase rugby in the region leading up to the RWC 2019 Japan.

The IPRC team presented to the NZRU immediately after the BaaBaas game.
I can't imagine that this means a NZ team in the initial 6 but who knows what develops beyond 2020 when Super Rugby has moved on.

Don't just believe what the East Coast press has to say - as usual they are pushing particular local agendas - in the same way as they're has been little coverage of the current Senate Inquiry into the Future of Rugby Union in Australia.

The IPRC is an exciting development for WA Rugby and for the development of Rugby in our region. It presents another opportunity for development of current and future Australian Rugby players.
Thanks force fan - I think nearly all on here want to see it work but yes maybe a bit harder being in same time zone as super rugby ...wonder what the thinking was there...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
I like the date window of February 2019 for 2 reasons!

1) Allows Perth Spirit to still compete in NRC.

2) If its in same window as super rugby and it's the roaring success I think it's going to be. It pretty much could allow for this competition to be merged in some way into the Super rugby competition as a new conference of some sort (Sunwolves to merge with their IPR Japanese counterparts in new IPR conference/Force back to Australia conference.

I know some of you are going to pull your hair out and say it's not going to happen but don't be surprised in 2025 if the IPR and Super Rugby competition merge.
I can see it merging but more as conference style

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Well, first and foremost. Keeping WA engaged with the game. That's the primary objective from our perspective.

Second, develop a sustainable structure that fits more inline with our needs in regards to time zone issue and future markets.

Third, offer more opportunities to players within Australia to ply their trade. Increasing the overall opportunity within the game. Imagine in the future in the IPRC we have 5 or 6 domestic based squads plus say 5 or more spots filled in another say 10 teams within the IPRC structure.
Aspirations are noble and will be fully behind but that is because I am rusted on but to get support of others will require marquees for what is short window as less games then super rugby so not sure how that works to bring players home who are on big bucks.

Status
Not open for further replies.