• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Where to for Twiggy Rugby?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Andrew Forrest has always talked about $100M - $150M to get the competition up and going and has stated that he expects it to be self-funding within 3 years. Clearly it will not be just Mindaroo's $$s getting this going as he is getting strong indications of support from around the region.
Needs a Chinese billionaire with ego and wanting to throw money at it - definitely possible given Asian focus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dru

Tim Horan (67)
@amiright

Mate, in my mind the timetable of who outlasts who is not a big swinging schwang contest between IPRU and ARU.

Clyne put forward evidence of the need to cut Super Rugby in the form of a graph. That graph did not justify 4 teams, it justified 3. All clearly tabled for detail with our "partners" in NZRU adn SARU. Who thinks they didnt notice?

We have temporary measures in place, sorted out mid-stream and the broadcast deal coming to an end in roughly two years. SARU has it's own problems, which by the way value Kiwi input but not Australian input. Australia is widely reputed to not be interested in South Africa either.

There is a sorting out coming one way or another and the broadcast deal renegotiation would seem to be a likely stress test.

I cant see Super Rugby continuing in anything like it's current form from that point. ARU in the shrink to greatness strategy have carefully lopped down our negotiating power, in the same way they have reduced our viewer numbers. Maybe all WA rugby fans wont discontinue watching Super Rugby but the number sure as hell goes down. And any supposed improvements have to overcome a general down trend, now with the stepped increase that is the shrinking to greatness strategy.

With a reasonable view of the situation, NOW assess which is likely to last longer?

IPRU or Super? I cant for the life of me see Super continuing, other than keeping the brand name within some revised scenario. And the concept that such a revised programme would commence negotiation withOUT the southern hemisphere's only obvious interested billionaire at the table - seems to me to be laughable.

Here is a bold prediction - presuming the the Twig actually gets the IPRU going, and yes that continues to be a stretch, whatever is happening in Australian professional rugby from, say, 2020, will include a team called the Western Force.

I am no way near so confident that it will also include all of Rebels, Brumbies, Waratahs, Reds.

The ARU entirely and solely holds the can for this. In the mean time better hope Twig is successful as it doesnt look gook in the medium term otherwise.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
It's interesting to that in the initial presentation by Twiggy that there was no mention of broadcasters barring the E Sport companies. In my opinion I think that can be an extreme positive ( unlike other posts on here) as it makes it available to a hell of a lot of people who don't want to pay for fox packages. Not without coincidence that fox sports and associated press have been down playing the IPRC.

Boof1050

Bill Watson (15)
As for the shit slanging between the Force and Rebels supporters please fark off and do it somewhere else and slim please stop being such a negative git. Please try and keep things positive people. Probably the reason why rugby is in such a bloody low state.

Killer

Cyril Towers (30)
Weather mostly..

the last I heard, on his recent presentation, Twiggy wanted it at the end of the super season, World Rugby suggested the Mar period. Twiggy said they could do both and he would leave the decision up to the ARU. I assume they picked the period that clashes with Super. A conspiracy theory is that it gives them more control in the sense the IPR will be hamstrung as the agreement is that Super Rugby cannot be lessened and thus the IPR cannot entice Super stars over to the IPR?

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
the last I heard, on his recent presentation, Twiggy wanted it at the end of the super season, World Rugby suggested the Mar period. Twiggy said they could do both and he would leave the decision up to the ARU. I assume they picked the period that clashes with Super. A conspiracy theory is that it gives them more control in the sense the IPR will be hamstrung as the agreement is that Super Rugby cannot be lessened and thus the IPR cannot entice Super stars over to the IPR?

As TOCC already mentioned, it's due to seasonal weather conditions in Asia...........

If it was played during the NRC timeframe it would be monsoon season.

As reported the other day:

The core principles agreed upon between the IPRC and RA (subject to World Rugby approval) are:

IPRC has agreed to play in a March to June competition window. This window was chosen as it represents the best opportunity to play rugby in Asia (seasonal considerations). The window was recommended on the provision that it does not negatively impact on Super Rugby or Asia Rugby's international competitions.

A full launch of the IPRC is scheduled for 2019.

The integrity of the Super Rugby competition will be maintained.

IPRC will work with Rugby Australia to repatriate players who have been lost overseas, to join the Western Australian team.

Rugby Australia's Wallabies eligibility policy remains in place, with further consideration to be given to allowing players in the Western Australian team to be eligible for the Wallabies.

IPRC and Rugby Australia will consider what additional resources are required to support and supplement Rugby Australia's elite pathway, including retention of key Wallabies in Super Rugby, the National Rugby Championship, club competitions and community programs for the benefit of Australian Rugby.

IPRC and SANZAAR to undertake further consultation with regards to competition management and operations.

IPRC, Rugby Australia and the Super Rugby high-performance teams to explore the possibility of "sister-club" arrangements to support player/coach and match official development.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Needs a Chinese billionaire with ego and wanting to throw money at it - definitely possible given Asian focus

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Possible? Well, I suppose it is not totally impossible. But one thing I know about rich Chinese people, their egos are fed by getting even richer, or by spending it ostentatiously, and gaining lots of "face".

If they want "face" out of rugby, they would be far more likely to try to buy a big European Club. Or the All Blacks.

Strewthcobber

Andrew Slack (58)
There are some astronomical sums being spent on the China Super League (soccer). The world's highest paid player, Tavez, now plays for Shanghai on $40m a year.

Some of the numbers that Jack Ma threw around for investment in Chinese rugby (was it 100m over 10 years?) are getting dwarfed by their football ambition.

Sent from my D5833 using Tapatalk

Boomer

Alfred Walker (16)
Jack Ma is a publicity hound.

In that he owns a newspaper and digital platform, the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong? Or that he's incredibly wealthy and lauded on a folk hero, Steve Jobs-type scale in most of Asia, through no real fault of his own, except he once had a nice idea. Your comment has a bit of the Jones, Macau and Muslims flavour about it.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
The way I see it is lets say it develops another couple of markets / marketable teams if could then merge with super rugby under a conference system it could be more interesting. Problem is South Africa just really does not work for us....would prefer if we could jettison oz teams playing Saffa teams until finals series.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
In that he owns a newspaper and digital platform, the South China Morning Post in Hong Kong? Or that he's incredibly wealthy and lauded on a folk hero, Steve Jobs-type scale in most of Asia, through no real fault of his own, except he once had a nice idea. Your comment has a bit of the Jones, Macau and Muslims flavour about it.

Errr, I lived and worked in Hong Kong for many years, and my wife is half Chinese. I had a pretty good career, managed to visit Macau a number of times, had a ball there, and also made a lot of close Chinese friends and learned an awful lot about Chinese culture.

It is actually quite possible to be a publicity hound as well as all the other attributes that you ascribe to him.

Richard Branson is a publicity hound, so is Alan Jones. So for that matter is Peter FitzSimons.

Does that even the balance up a bit?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
How likely is it that we can find ANY moneyed potential supporter that get's your tick of approval? Don't let the real world pass you by Wamberal.

Mate, I would guess that I have experienced a lot more of the real world than you have, with all due respect.

See the above post. I do fly Virgin Australia domestically, incidentally, the fact that Richard Branson is a publicity hound does not bother me a bit.

Okay?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
and twiggy isn't?

Errr, yes. Why do you ask? Why does it matter?

My comment about Jack Ma was simply to point out that he is very, very good at attracting publicity. Yes, he has done a lot of good things. I will look forward with great anticipation to his actually doing something about rugby, and if he does I will be the first to congratulate him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom