• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who has starred in the NRC

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
David Feltscheer (courageous attack and mind blowing try scoring. A real joy to watch play the game), Cruze Ah Nau (Really stepped up his play and can play both sides of the front row), Jonah Placid (this could be the Rebels best ever recruit).

Many more, but these three really got my attention.

Feltscheer has had a great year for the Rats and the Rays - a wonderful attacker, yet a safe custodian. But he's a light man and so lacks a bit of impact in the tackle whether he has the ball or the other bloke does.

Ah Nau has started a couple of times for the Rebels already. He has been been good in the NRC as you say and it will be interesting to see if they give him more games next year.

Placid is a brilliant player in the true sense of the word, but he can be brittle even taking his youth into account.

For starters I hope that the coaches get hold of him and get him to work on his passing to the right as I have seen him a few times inclined to "over-back" himself when a pass in that direction was the better option.

Many right-handed players lack confidence passing to the right, so nobody tell me that Jonah is left-handed because it will blow my theory out of the water.

I have said a few times that some young players play beyond their years. Jonah is not one of these - but he has incredible rugby gifts and he is going to be a good'un as soon as his rugby matures.

Reactions: daz
D

daz

Feltscheer has had a great year for the Rats and the Rays - a wonderful attacker, yet a safe custodian. But he's a light man and so lacks a bit of impact in the tackle whether he has the ball or the other bloke does.

Agree with that Lee, but by golly, it doesn't stop him having a red hot go.

Has he/will he get any attention from a Super Rugby club, do you think?

Any bloke that has a safe set of hands and a good kicking boot in defence, and a marvellous way of finishing off attacking play is worth a bundle, light man or not.

I must admit, the games I saw him play were of very high quality.

James M7

Allen Oxlade (6)
Jerome McKenzie (Rams), Jed Holloway (Rams), Mitch King (Rays), jack Debreczeni (Rising), Dave Feltscheer (Rays), Sam Ward (Rays), ? Ravi (Hooker at Rams), Jim Stewart (Stars), Rising forward pack (Timani especially), Rising Backs (Inman especially), Beau Robinson (QLD country), Samu Kerevi (BNE City), Chris Kuridrani (BNE city), JJ Taulagi (QLD country) Ben Adams (QLD country), Dave McDuling (BNE city), Tim Cree (Vikings)

Haven't watched much of the Spirit, but was impressed by Harry Scoble in the one game I did

Hey Hammer , great mix of players you have mention and would be a hard to top , I just don't know who Mitch King is from the Rays??? unless its a typo and you mean Mitch Lewis? Lewis and Sam Ward have been two of the best for the Rays

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Has he/will he get any attention from a Super Rugby club, do you think?

Any bloke that has a safe set of hands and a good kicking boot in defence, and a marvellous way of finishing off attacking play is worth a bundle, light man or not.

I don't know of any interest in Feltscheer - but I wrote months ago that he was the best fullback in Sydney who hadn't got a Super contract yet; so I think he'd have to be on the clipboards. And I've mentioned it again, since.

I can only think of his lightness being a drawback (which is probably why I mentioned it) because I had to scratch my head a few times to come up with a reason why he hadn't been mentioned as Super Rugby material.

And that was before the NRC started.

papabear

Watty Friend (18)
These days you may be disadvantaged being a pro footballer - in that medicare now states it won't pay anything for your treatment for injuries sustained in your work, which specifically makes run of the mill health insurance and private care out of the question unless your club/organisation will foot the bill.

funny how history repeats itself.

hammertimethere

Trevor Allan (34)
Hey Hammer , great mix of players you have mention and would be a hard to top , I just don't know who Mitch King is from the Rays??? unless its a typo and you mean Mitch Lewis? Lewis and Sam Ward have been two of the best for the Rays

I stad corrected. I did mean Mitch Lewis, the prop with the silky hands and work rate that belies his physique. Obviously doesn't mind a beer that bloke.

K

KAOPointman

Sooo many good and some great players mentioned so far. But for me.....QUADE COOPER blew the competition apart last week and showed just how high level of rugby he plays. Nearly Every part of his game is looking great now. Only haters can hate him now(and the booers) :/

I'm hoping for more "silence the crowd" games in the near future from quade.

And yes....I love watching the guy :)

Bronzewhaler

Stan Wickham (3)
No one has really starred.
Not the same standard as best teams in ITM or Curry Cup.
Stars have demonstrated that a great club team is not a super team.

T

Train Without a Station

Your comment ignores the number of players the Stars have been missing this year due to either injuries, or injuries calling up their Wallaby players.

Due to that they have had at times, only 4, or even less, full time players in their team. The Rising gave Brisbane City and even bigger hiding, due to the same thing occurring the game they played.

I will guarantee the Stars to be stronger in 2015. The one game I saw, it looked like a lot of players were physically unprepared for that level. I doubt they will be next year.

T

Train Without a Station

And if you think for example, that Samu Kerevi would not perform that well in an ITM Cup game you have no clue. He performed that well in Super Rugby games already.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
No one has really starred.
Not the same standard as best teams in ITM or Curry Cup.

If it was the same standard as those competitions in its first year then it would almost suggest that the competition isn't really necessary.

The bigger the pool of people who should have a Super Rugby contract but can't find one, the stronger rugby will be in Australia.

That is the feeling I get from watching a lot of the ITM Cup teams. There are loads of players who wouldn't look out of place in Super Rugby yet they can't make it because there is a lot of depth.

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
I think it's official. Mitch Lewis is now the biggest star of the NRC. His own try has gone viral!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

T

Train Without a Station

Does anybody else find it annoying that all the headlines are portraying it as a refereeing error?

Wonder if any teams will consider changing colors next season after this?

Jagman

Trevor Allan (34)
Does anybody else find it annoying that all the headlines are portraying it as a refereeing error?

Wonder if any teams will consider changing colors next season after this?
It was a bit hard to see what happened initially but I was watching with no sound and worked out what happened about midway through the replays. I understand that the tmo was probably rushed though. I think it's just a funny freak occurrence where a lot of factors contributed to create the comedy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Status
Not open for further replies.