• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who should be the next ARU CEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Elfster

Dave Cowper (27)
I just want to know to what happened to my application. I thought I would have been a lay down misere (just quietly).

His resume, in general, makes for good reading. I want someone to take the game forward with competence and confidence. Will need to see what his plans are.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
I just want to know to what happened to my application. I thought I would have been a lay down misere (just quietly).

His resume, in general, makes for good reading. I want someone to take the game forward with competence and confidence. Will need to see what his plans are.

Wouldn't it be wonderful if he just came out a spelled out his position clearly and in a forthright manner? None of the usual double talk BS.

rugbysmartarse

Alan Cameron (40)
Interesting presser. Focus on 7s as major growth point. Collaborate relentlessly with grassroots stakeholders. Even knows the major sponsors...

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Interesting presser. Focus on 7s as major growth point. Collaborate relentlessly with grassroots stakeholders. Even knows the major sponsors.

Overall not a bad list of objectives. What I found encouraging was the recognition of the sports entertainment industry and the various option available to fans. Could bode well.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Nothing impressive in the release, same old, same old.

Actions will speak louder than words.

Aussie D

Dick Tooth (41)
From http://www.rugby.com.au/News/NewsArticle/tabid/1699/ArticleID/8201/Default.aspx

To achieve this I feel there are several guiding principles we need to consider:

• Never forget that we play a team sport for fun, fitness and friendship;
  • Acknowledge that in our game Character, Integrity and Team First are paramount;
  • Communicate & collaborate relentlessly with all stakeholders to ensure a united approach to achieving our objectives;
  • Support every effort in community Rugby to expand participation in the game, including a focus on encouraging the involvement of women;
  • Embrace Rugby Sevens as a major growth opportunity;
  • In a world where our supporters are distracted by an endless range of entertainment options, we must aim to constantly enhance our entertainment experience; and
  • Maintain a high performance culture to be the No. 1 team in the world.
I like the first line of his vision and the fact he has spent time on the frontlines (through the Mosman club) at grassroots level, this will hopefully help to 'future proof' the game through improved pathways.
I wonder if the second line is not directed at certain high-profile Wallabies who have been involved in some off-field incidents in recent years and a warning that it will not be tolerated in future.
Growing the game and communicationg with all levels if acted upon will be fantastic for the game, though I will believe it when I see it. Unfortunately we have heard this before and nothing has ever come of it.
Sevens and entertainment are both great sound bites but as with the previous point I will believe it when I see it.
The final point sounds similar to what JO'N spoke of after the World Cup and we all know how that turned out, hopefully with the aid of a new high performance director this can be achieved.

rugbyisfun

Jimmy Flynn (14)
No hard questions in the press conference. The rugby media in Australia really are pathetic. 10 mins of back padding and rah rah chat about Shore. I'm surprised we didn't get to hear a rousing rendition of the UNSW club song. The game is up the shit and all we are getting is some bloke who will very likely maintain the status quo. Please prove me wrong...

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
All motherhood statements which mean nothing.
Except for the last point which is just wrong.
If we maintain the current standard of high performance culture, we will not be the no 1 team in the world as he states.We will be doomed.
I now await the customary follow up presser where he highlights any possible negatives and lowers the expectations on his performance targets.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
Yes, I agree with you all. From this press release we can CLEARLY tell he will be a total failure, and he has his priorities completely mixed up.

I'd fire him now if I was the ARU.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
The only performance measure he mentions is the makeup of the crowd in sellout matches.
hardly a priority is it?

What other aspect of the tour do you think the new CEO has any influence over?

His soundbite is a call to Wallabies fans to buy tickets. It's pretty hard to get the fans to do anything else that will have an impact.

D

daz

All motherhood statements which mean nothing.

Thank God I am not the only person who thought that. Those are hygiene statements that I have seen posted on the wall of my son's club and (I assume) at every RU club in the country.

I don't know anything about this guy, really, so maybe he will be the golden child that begets a golden era. I hope so.

I just find it a bit puzzling that the new ARU CEO seems to come from the same patch of dirt as the last handful of ARU CEO's. Is that part of Sydney the only part of the world that grows exceptional sports executives?

Did the ARU approach any current proven sports CEO's from around the world, available or not?

I dunno. baa-baa asked me earlier if I trusted the board to make the right choice. Problem is, most of them are part of the same damn boys club! Trust is maybe too strong a word. Expect is the better word. I expect the right call, but don't trust it will happen.

It all seems just a bit same-old.

Regardless, what is done is done. Let's give the new bloke some time and THEN go for the jugular!

:D

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
Yes, I agree with you all. From this press release we can CLEARLY tell he will be a total failure, and he has his priorities completely mixed up.

I'd fire him now if I was the ARU.
Settle petal.
No one has said he was a poor choice, no one has said he will do a shit job.
What people have said is that nothing at all of any substance came out of the presser.
It was standard corporate bullshit, and no one should be surprised.
People are still entitled to call it bullshit though.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
I know nothing about the guy, apart form the bomb scare, but am willing to give him a chance. Hopefully he has some fresh ideas that he implements in the first 12 months of his term.

He wasn't going to be revolutionary in his first statement to the press, especially when he hasn't even had a really good look around. We will see what he is saying in 6 months time, and who is Wallaby coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.