• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Who should be the next ARU CEO?

Status
Not open for further replies.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
But what does this mean, and how is it a good thing?

When you are looking for a CEO, I don't care about 'originality' and 'imagination', I'm not writing a sitcom for fuck's sake. You want the best man for the job.

First and foremost you want business credentials. That is the primary job of the CEO, to keep the game financially viable. Then you go for the 'gravy'- background, vision etc.

I just don't understand how some here can judge a man's background, ambition and vision for our game purely on where he lives and where he went to school.

So you just want an accountant. While a business background is of course required what Rugby needs is someone who offers a skill set that can not only ensure the books are balanced but provide some direction and leadership for the game more so than just a business. While Rugby is a business it is also one with many stakeholders looking for improved development pathways beyond simply ensuring that everything looks ship shape on paper.

This is something I believe the game has really been lacking pretty much since the 03 RWC. No one seems to have the required levels of vision in position of power to push the game further forward as a sport. We need someone who looks for new opportunities in terms of exposure and revenue not simply sits backs and balances what we currently have. If this mindset continues the word 'niche' and Australian Rugby will remain the status quo well into the future. I don't want that, we have a great game here. Why shouldn't everyone enjoy it. We need someone who has the experience and thirst to do this.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
According to the Shore School website Bill Pulver has a son Angus who finished last year.

Is that the same Angus Pulver who was Aussie schools #9 and according to the Colts post is going to be playing at Sydney Uni this year?

Yes.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Surely the board is what should be driving the vision and direction of the ARU.

The CEO should be the one ensuring that the right people are in place doing the right things to allow the ARU to achieve these goals.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Sorry but I had to LOL and some of the headlines "Collar bomb victim's dad to head ARU", "Collar bomb victim dad's big gig".

The media are going to have a field day with this.

D

daz

Bill Pulver it is.

Wow.

I better start checking this dude out. What do we know?

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
So you just want an accountant. While a business background is of course required what Rugby needs is someone who offers a skill set that can not only ensure the books are balanced but provide some direction and leadership for the game more so than just a business. While Rugby is a business it is also one with many stakeholders looking for improved development pathways beyond simply ensuring that everything looks ship shape on paper.

This is something I believe the game has really been lacking pretty much since the 03 RWC. No one seems to have the required levels of vision in position of power to push the game further forward as a sport. We need someone who looks for new opportunities in terms of exposure and revenue not simply sits backs and balances what we currently have. If this mindset continues the word 'niche' and Australian Rugby will remain the status quo well into the future. I don't want that, we have a great game here. Why shouldn't everyone enjoy it. We need someone who has the experience and thirst to do this.

No, I don't think the CEO should be 'just an accountant', but I do think the core of the job is ensuring the financial viability of the game. It's not all the job is, but what I view as the most important aspect- like scrummaging for a THP.

I agree that the game needs this vision and leadership. I see no reason why Pulver can't provide that- I hope to god he can. For what it's worth I am a big fan of Jim Carmichael too, and would have welcomed his appointment as well.

But as BH pointed out he isn't solely responsible for the direction of our game, or it's fortunes.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Surely the board is what should be driving the vision and direction of the ARU.

The CEO should be the one ensuring that the right people are in place doing the right things to allow the ARU to achieve these goals.

True. But we're talking about the current board that just hasn't seemed to deliver too much in way of either vision or direction apart from finally sorting out the governance issue which we do have to give them a big tick on that one.

kronic

John Solomon (38)
Apparently during the interview, Pulver was asked "what do you want your legacy to be, during your tenure at the helm of the ARU"

Pulver replied: "I want the public to look back and say, that CEO was the bomb".

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
No, I don't think the CEO should be 'just an accountant', but I do think the core of the job is ensuring the financial viability of the game. It's not all the job is, but what I view as the most important aspect- like scrummaging for a THP.

I agree that the game needs this vision and leadership. I see no reason why Pulver can't provide that- I hope to god he can. For what it's worth I am a big fan of Jim Carmichael too, and would have welcomed his appointment as well.

But as BH pointed out he isn't solely responsible for the direction of our game, or it's fortunes.

Well, hopefully now it is confirmed we can see whether he has the necessary qualities. I like you, hope that he does as the game is in desperate need of leadership.

D

daz

My brothers and sisters, you are all asking the wrong question and focusing on the wrong part of Mr Pulvers appointment right now. It is not his experience, or vision, or financial strengths, or any of that.

It is this - Are you a supporter of Robbie Deans?

:p

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Spose it had to be someone from Shore. An eastward progression of Bruce Hayman (King's)->John O'Neill (Joeys)->Gary Flowers (Riverview)->can't make this one out, internet down->Bill Pulver (Shore). Who's next? What school's to the east of Shore? Ah, Mosman High. Or St Paul's Manly. o_O

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Spose it had to be someone from Shore. An eastward progression of Bruce Hayman (King's)->John O'Neill (Joeys)->Gary Flowers (Riverview)->can't make this one out, internet down->Bill Pulver (Shore). Who's next? What school's to the east of Shore? Ah, Mosman High. Or St Paul's Manly. o_O

You've still got Scots, High, Grammar and TAS at a stretch.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member

Someone from Scots will presumably be next.

Maybe Paul Peters in about 10 years time.

Status
Not open for further replies.