• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Why is Marto employed as a commentator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Roundawhile

Billy Sheehan (19)
I am so fucking tired of everyting being dumbed down because it will give you :-
More money
More voters
More money
More followers
More money
More goddam mediocrity

FFS if you provided a DECENT product you would achieve far more than you could want for.

But no, the people that run this world are the spindoctors, the marketing people, the media barons, the bankers, the wankers!

Sorry I have a very cynical view of our culture at the moment :(

end of rant

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^^ Ever seen the movie "Idiocracy". Supposedly a comedy, but there are some who would classify it in the Horror genre.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
Kearns, Martin and Horan are all woefull. The commentator have come to enjoy the most is Justin Marshell. I find him both fair and insightfull.
And yet a number of Kiwi's think of him as a misleading twat that looks like Meg Ryan's lesbian sister and struggles to form coherent sentences. You're welcome to him - please, suggest it to your broadcaster! There's a few who tweet using #MarshallsShitComments whenever he commentates.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I reckon he tries to be too balanced if one can.. he does have a good read on the game only being recently retired.

Scorz

Syd Malcolm (24)
I reckon they split him and TJ up because there was too much man love going for all things Red and Black, or named Freuan/Maitland/Guildford.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Marto can't eve remember is Wallaby Cap Number, that why he cant tell apart samo and TPN.
I did have the pleasure of him hearing me calling him a Wanker and a disgrace to the Reds as a fan at the reds fan day after the 2011 GF win.
He is Dead set fucken idiot

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
The lot of them are rubbish. Why on earth we need four commentators is beyond me. One calling the play and one offering tactical insight is all thats needed. Clarke is dull and is a poor play by play commentator. Marto and Kearns are just cheerleaders for australian teams and add nothing of interest with thoughtfull calls like 'how good was that!?' I have time for Kafer but he needs to be in the box, not on the sideline popping up every now and then. I crave for someone like the BBC's Jonathon Davies, anyone who's heard his 6 nations work will know just how much class and insight he add's to the national broadcasters team.

ACR

Bob Davidson (42)
Marto can't eve remember is Wallaby Cap Number, that why he cant tell apart samo and TPN.
I did have the pleasure of him hearing me calling him a Wanker and a disgrace to the Reds as a fan at the reds fan day after the 2011 GF win.
He is Dead set fucken idiot

I was quite surprised when they got asked what their wallaby numbers were, Marto didn't know and Kafe said he had no idea. Either they're pretending not to know to seem laid back (which is bad) or worse yet they actually don't know (very bad). Players (current ones at least) should be well aware of the number they are and the players that played their positions before them.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Peter Wilkenson from the ABC did a great call on the Wheelchair Rugby that the Australian Steelers just won Gold in.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
martos ok, kafe gives me the shits, in stoppages always goes "this is what theyre thinking" or "this is what theyll do here" and over half the time they do somthing completly different!! As a whole commentry team the aussies arnt too bad bias wise, occassionally kearns can cross the line but his usually the only one that has the balls to say somthing against a non aussie team or have a crack at the ref so i dont mind taking the good with the bad with him.

kiwis are the worse for mine, very bias, will never have a go at kiwi teams for doing high tackles or infringments at the rucks but will always call the other teams out for it. They are bit sneaky about it too because they wait until the game is assured to the nz team then will be full of praise for the opposition

Sth africans are by far the best, bit dry, dont really have alot of personality but are very insightful and say it how it is

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
I miss Gordon Bray.

I'm not sure if it is because I assosciate him with a more succesful wallaby team, or because he is better. Probably both.

Bray was just a poor man's Bill McLaren. He was better than our current crop, for sure. But he always tried to say too much, a common failure with all current Australian comentators.

The good thing about McLaren was that he was understated, let the pictures tell the story a lot of the time, and just explained and added information, rather than wanting to fill the night with endless blather.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Said it before, and will say it again.

Bill McLaren was the Gold Standard of Rugby Commentators.

The current crop from Foxtel would not be qualified to wipe his bum if he was still alive but in a gerontology ward.

East Coast Aces

Johnnie Wallace (23)
It was surprising to hear that Phil Kearns is actually really well liked across the ditch.

Personally I like Kafer and Marto. Kafer provides alot of knowledge and tactical nous (larkham rated him as the most intelligent Rugby player he has played with). And Marto isn't afraid to criticism as well as not taking things too serious. After all its just a game we like to have fun playing and watching.

I can't stand Brendan Cannon. He is lucky to get out a sentence without stuffing up, is boring mono toned and cliche ridden. I would much rather see Jeremy Paul back on the Rugby Club panel instead, he also isn't afraid to criticize people. Atleast when they were side by side it was enjoyable to see how uncomfortable they were with eachother.

Status
Not open for further replies.