• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Why is Marto employed as a commentator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Last night he had a go at the referee for correctly making a decision. He didn't like the ref calling them back for the incorrect quick throw in. According to him, if it's inconsequential, the rules of the game don't matter.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sean Maloney is great, canno is frustrating.
Marto is just fucked, I don't get how he is there......

Nick,Kafe and Sean would call a great game of rugby

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Because the networks think style matters more than substance. That loud excitement matters more than accuracy. That cliches are a substitute for original thought. And that being completely biased equals passion.

Apply the same to Phil Kearns x 100.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
Networks love that you hate a commentator. Your playing into their hands.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Networks love that you hate a commentator. Your playing into their hands.

Sent from my ASUS Transformer Pad TF700T using Tapatalk HD
So if we start a thread on how good he is, they'll can him? Or Kearns?

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Because the networks think style matters more than substance. That loud excitement matters more than accuracy. That cliches are a substitute for original thought. And that being completely biased equals passion.

Apply the same to Phil Kearns x 100.

One good thing about Greg Martin is that at least he does not spew cliches, like Greg Clarke. Clarke has about a dozen stock phrases, which come out in endless repetition. He rarely, if ever, has anything at all enlightening to say about the game.

What on earth is he there for?

We prefer to watch the recording, so that we can fast-forward through the dross, and usually keep the volume right down so that we cannot hear the endless stream of cliches.

Funnily enough, I get a certain amount of enjoyment out of Marto, when he is not in excited schoolboy mode.

Redsman

Allen Oxlade (6)
Marto's a classic. Horan's a kiwi sympathiser politician and Kearnsy a classic too. At lest Marto and Kearnsy call how it is. BTW anyone read Gregan's comments re QC (Quade Cooper) / White this week ? HE sounds like the best commentator not yet commentating.. Good win REds... shame about higgin.

Melbourne Terrace

Darby Loudon (17)
God he's a twat. Hearing the English team that's commentating the lions game is a relief, the difference in quality for sports commentators between Australia and England is astounding

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
Kearns frustrates me with his silly crap. He undoubtably would have an astute rugby knowledge but we never get exposed to it.

Horan annoys me because it seems like he does no pre-call research at all. He makes some horrible mistakes with the basics. Same as Kearns though regarding the wealth of rugby knowledge.

Sharpe is gold. Love what he brings with knowledge that he can put into context. Even when mistakes on the field happen he has a good go at explaining the intent rather than a throw away comment about the result. I appreciate that sort of insight.

I like to watch

David Codey (61)
I read this thread before watching the replay and honestly don't get the Martins hate. He's there for qld flavour and does his job well.

maybe because he is ridiculously biased.
Even Kearns can acknowledge when he is putting loyalties ahead of logic.
If Marto is an expert commentator then she should act as one.
If he is a big fucking cheerleader and there for colour, then he should dress like the fool he acts.
People will then understand whatever he says should not be taken seriously.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
maybe because he is ridiculously biased.
Even Kearns can acknowledge when he is putting loyalties ahead of logic.
If Marto is an expert commentator then she should act as one.
If he is a big fucking cheerleader and there for colour, then he should dress like the fool he acts.
People will then understand whatever he says should not be taken seriously.
How dare you call Marto a woman!

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
If he wants to be a Queensland cheerleader, he shouldn't be part of the commentary team. That commentary feed goes out to every state (and NZ, SA). It is not too much to expect unbiased commentary.

Set piece magic

John Solomon (38)
More to the Clarke list of cliches:

What was said at half time
That's the ball game
That might be the ball game
THere's the big don't argue
(player name) gets the fend going
They won't catch (player name)
(player name) Puts on some footwork

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
More to the Clarke list of cliches:

What was said at half time
That's the ball game
That might be the ball game
THere's the big don't argue
(player name) gets the fend going
They won't catch (player name)
(player name) Puts on some footwork

Only Quade can do that!

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Why, oh, why do our commentators keep on telling us what we can see with our own two eyes. Smith passes the ball to Jones, Jones runs into the defense, the ball is slow coming back, Brown passes to Green, Green runs into the defense. Penalty! Against the attacking side (one of Clarkey's favourite sayings)!

Give us a break, Clarkey, we can see most of this. Just give us the player's name, don't tell us that he passes the ball - we can bloody well see it. It's called TeleVISION for a reason. See if you can work out why?

Status
Not open for further replies.