• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Why is Marto employed as a commentator?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
How dare you call Marto a woman!

Calling Marto a female rugby caller is an insult to Melanie Robinson (NZ Foxtel interviewer) and the ABC TV team down here in Sydney. At least they know their stuff.

Marto is just a dribbling fanboy fool that would be well received on The Footy Show with Fatty and the other drongos.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
I think they need to change it up. I am over listening to the guys they have at the moment. I'd like to see Nick McCardle get a go as the head commentator as Clarkie is a bit past it and doesn't seem to have the understanding of the game that is required at this level.
Mark McBain does a good job with his game previews and reviews on 4TAB in Brisbane. He would probably be a bit dry for the FoxSports guys but he is quite thoughtful about the game.
I think they could go down the path of other sports in Aust and bring in some female talent. Alana Smith did a good job on The Ruck show on Triple M and I think that she could bring some value to the team. Also the daughter of a former Wallabies Coach so has a strong connection to the game.

I think they should get Cheryl Soon (from the Womens 7s) as a commentator... and do LOTS of crosses! Lots.

dabiged

Stan Wickham (3)
Get the honey badger to give some comments from the sidelines.

"... sweating like a gypsy with a mortgage..."

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I think they should get Cheryl Soon (from the Womens 7s) as a commentator. and do LOTS of crosses! Lots.

Soon speaks very well in interviews & is more than knowledgeable to handle Rugby commentary - I reckon she'd do a good job if given a go. Even just having an alternative commentary on the radio would be a plus. I've said this hundreds of times but foxtel used to allow you to press the red button on Loig games so you could choose to hear the regular commentators, just the crowd, or just the referee directly. Why the hell they don't have these options for Rugby games I don't know. I would add these options plus an alternative commentary hook up, like a radio commentary team, to the mix.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Soon speaks very well in interviews & is more than knowledgeable to handle Rugby commentary - I reckon she'd do a good job if given a go. Even just having an alternative commentary on the radio would be a plus. I've said this hundreds of times but foxtel used to allow you to press the red button on Loig games so you could choose to hear the regular commentators, just the crowd, or just the referee directly. Why the hell they don't have these options for Rugby games I don't know. I would add these options plus an alternative commentary hook up, like a radio commentary team, to the mix.

Yes - I was not making the suggestion based solely on her silky good looks, I thought she was brilliant when she was part of the team lobbying to have Rugby in the Olympics - clever, well spoken, handled interviews like and old hand (and not named in next month's squad) sobbb!

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
Watch a replay of the Brumbies-Rebels game from last night - Martin was in even worse form than usual.... even his co-commentators sounded uncomfortable with him at various times - and at one stage attempted unsuccessfully to bring him back to the point.

There were several comments that had me shaking my Cabernet Sauvignon quite violently, in its glass... (they bruise).

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Watch a replay of the Brumbies-Rebels game from last night - Martin was in even worse form than usual.. even his co-commentators sounded uncomfortable with him at various times - and at one stage attempted unsuccessfully to being him back to the point.

There were several comments that had me shaking my Cabernet Sauvignon quite violently, in its glass. (they bruise).
HWC, agree (with both observations ). I wonder half-seriously if Marto should see a neurologist because he played a heavy contact sport for many years and it sounds like he is progressively deteriorating.

T

TOCC

How about a commentator panel of Marto and Ray Hadley for future test matches :/

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Phil Kearns has just out done everyone.

Said Lydiate orchestrated the Six Nations win against England.

He didn't fucking play.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I'm tempted to say something unpleasant about the benefits of a Newington Education that PK received, but I won't lower the tone of the debate.

I think PK would be as he is no matter what education system he attended.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
How stupid do Greg Clarke and Tim Horan think the Australian Rugby public is? I don't know how many times tonight they tried to sell the line that a great game from Cooper tonight would have him selected in the Wallaby squad. They pushed it time and again. If we forget the "toxic" comment, and I'd bet my left one that Deans hasn't, the fact is that Cooper just doesn't suit the risk averse game plan that Deans is likely to play. The selection of Cooper would be nonsensical to play that game plan again, as any remembering of the RWC should tell people.

The Irony I see is the Force showed that any attempt to grind a victory will result in a predictable result especially with kickers of the Quality the Lions have, and the Wallabies don't. That was plain to see even with a 3rd or 4th string Force Squad. The fact is that if the Reds had a functional set piece they could have won against the Lions. In fact I will go so far to say if they had Simmons, Horwill and Slipper they would have won. The key to that game plan we saw tonight is Cooper's passing game and his vision. Perhaps To'omua could execute that plan but I am totally sure that neither JOC (James O'Connor) or Beale have the skill set to do it. Do Clarke and Horan talk about this as the reason for Cooper's omission, no they prattle and try and paint the selections of Deans is a positive light that just isn't needed if they actually pointed out that the shithouse boring tactics that the Wallabies will play just do not suit Cooper's game, by his own admission.

T

TOCC

Probably meant for another thread, but we would never see RD push a gameplay Ike the one the Reds played tonight, even Eddie Jones managed to pull a rabbit out of the hat and surprise the opponents with a new style from time to time.. RD has his vision and will continue to have the wallabies play and improve upon his existing style.

James Buchanan

Trevor Allan (34)
Watch a replay of the Brumbies-Rebels game from last night - Martin was in even worse form than usual.. even his co-commentators sounded uncomfortable with him at various times - and at one stage attempted unsuccessfully to being him back to the point.

That match helped me identify the main problem I have with Marto. Not only is is a simplistic fanboy, as many have noted, but he's a bloody downhill skier too. With the (possible) exception of the Reds, he's all too willing to sing the praises of the expected "better" team and also all too willing to heap shit on the percieved "lesser" team.

This goes against every good broadcasting practice I can think of because even if it is a whitewash of biblical proportions, a commentator's aim is to make the game interesting and make it seem closer than it is, that the underdog has a chance to upset the expected winner or at least to make it seem like a competitive tussle. AFL commentators are particularly good at this; even when Gold Coast, GWS or Melbourne are getting belted by 100+ points, they focus on the small contests, about how the underdog is winning the small battles and what that means going forwards.

So yeah, not only is Marto an annoying prat, but he's just a damned shit commentator. Unless that's his assigned 'job' in the commentator team, in which case Fox Rugby needs to smarten up their game.

Sully

Tim Horan (67)
Staff member
That match helped me identify the main problem I have with Marto. Not only is is a simplistic fanboy, as many have noted, but he's a bloody downhill skier too. With the (possible) exception of the Reds, he's all too willing to sing the praises of the expected "better" team and also all too willing to heap shit on the percieved "lesser" team.

This goes against every good broadcasting practice I can think of because even if it is a whitewash of biblical proportions, a commentator's aim is to make the game interesting and make it seem closer than it is, that the underdog has a chance to upset the expected winner or at least to make it seem like a competitive tussle. AFL commentators are particularly good at this; even when Gold Coast, GWS or Melbourne are getting belted by 100+ points, they focus on the small contests, about how the underdog is winning the small battles and what that means going forwards.

So yeah, not only is Marto an annoying prat, but he's just a damned shit commentator. Unless that's his assigned 'job' in the commentator team, in which case Fox Rugby needs to smarten up their game.
Yeh because Phill Gould and Eddie McQuire are known for their unbiased commentary! Broadcasting practice! Funny.

Hell West & Crooked

Alex Ross (28)
HWC, agree (with both observations ). I wonder half-seriously if Marto should see a neurologist because he played a heavy contact sport for many years and it sounds like he is progressively deteriorating.

I don't think it has anything at all to do with knocks on the head - I think it is something else entirely, and whilst the laws of slander forbid me, I could otherwise suggest it has to do with self-absorption, a delusional belief in his own sense of houmour, self-enamour, and a head placed in physiologically difficult locations...

Have a look back at the 1989 Lions and "that" pass - see if you don't believe that Martin Called for That Pass, as he ran around behind Campesie, and then overran him (regardless of whether Campesie should have thrown it, or not) Otherwise, what did he think he was doing, if Campo was going to kick it? - he was well-inside Campo, and could have followed the kick through from where he was...

I suspect Campo has covered his arse for the past 26 years on that one...

Status
Not open for further replies.