• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Will the Reds make the Final?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dam0

Dave Cowper (27)
If a team tops their conference but ends up 5th or 6th on the overall table do they still get home advantage?

Should they?

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
Yes and whatever..... it is the way it is & the way it shall be ;-)

If a team is in such a situation they only get home ground advantage in the first week of the finals.

Tangawizi

Peter Fenwicke (45)
I think it is a sign of how far the Reds have come in a few seasons, that their fans aren't simply overjoyed at being in position to make the finals series with 2 rounds to go.

2 years ago we all would've been. Now the tough stuff starts. Highlanders showed enough last night to reinforce that they can't be taken lightly next week.

4 straight wins down, 5 to go.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
But I'd rather see the Reds win the Aussi conference which gives them home ground advantage & no travelling, possibly to SA
Its a hard decdision, the Brumbies have been my second team for ages behind the Reds, and I hate for them to lose to anyone but the Reds. But I will have to say F#*K them, I hope they lose badly tonight and I hope the Reds can make it.

I deally I would like to see both teams in the finals with a Reds v Brumbies match in the first week, but I dont know if this can happen.

antimony

Herbert Moran (7)
Reds v Brumbies match in the first week

If they both make the 6 its the most likely senario, with the way the saders and Bulls are going. 1 will get the conference win and homeground advantage and the other will finish 6th and travel to meet the conference winner.

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
If a team tops their conference but ends up 5th or 6th on the overall table do they still get home advantage?

Should they?

It's pretty much financially essential for each of the RUs, so it's a valid business decision. Good for fans too. Tho from some posts here I think some red fans would rather no aussies in the finals over the tahs!

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
If they both make the 6 its the most likely senario, with the way the saders and Bulls are going. 1 will get the conference win and homeground advantage and the other will finish 6th and travel to meet the conference winner.
at one point for this to occur the Reds had to lose to the Tahs or they would have to travel to SA to play over there the first week.

Would it be worth considering losing to the Tahs on purpose to get a game in the ACT?

Lisa

Bob McCowan (2)
Will they make the finals?
Well obviously only if they can keep Cooper on for a full game.
It all seemed to fall apart for them very quickly last night when the replacement came on.

Penguin

John Solomon (38)
at one point for this to occur the Reds had to lose to the Tahs or they would have to travel to SA to play over there the first week.

Would it be worth considering losing to the Tahs on purpose to get a game in the ACT?

FUCK NO!
Besides the fact that it's the Tah's.
1: ACT isn't one of our happier hunting grounds, apart from the last two games of course. and
2: Giving up momentum leading into a finals series on purpose would be suicide. and
3: It's so far removed from the spirit of the game, I'd be ashamed.

liquor box

Peter Sullivan (51)
FUCK NO!
Besides the fact that it's the Tah's.
1: ACT isn't one of our happier hunting grounds, apart from the last two games of course. and
2: Giving up momentum leading into a finals series on purpose would be suicide. and
3: It's so far removed from the spirit of the game, I'd be ashamed.
I hate the concept of losing on purpose, to anyone..... I wonder if you can forfeit a game before the starting whistle, and then play a demonstration match for the fans and TV?

Brumbieman

Dick Tooth (41)
The Reds could very easily end up in 5th, all they have to do is make sure they win everything.

Brumbies should be able to claim top spot, but if the Reds make sure they win and get 11 points from their next two games, they're up to 5th if the Bulls drop a game.

Groucho

Greg Davis (50)
Yeah the Hurricanes have just spooked the Reds chances big-time.

The Brumbies juggernaut rolls on. The Reds will really be ruing their losing streak now.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Yeah the Hurricanes have just spooked the Reds chances big-time.

The Brumbies juggernaut rolls on. The Reds will really be ruing their losing streak now.
I disagree on the Hurricanes result and suspect that the Canes won't make the playoffs.

Brumbies will likely get third but the Reds still have a good chance to make it two Aussie teams in the six. The Bulls and Saders look like they should make it, although the Cru are now a bit wobbly.

The Reds, Sharks and Canes (currently all on 49 points) will likely battle it out for the last playoff spot. They all have only home games remaining, but need to win them and get bonus points if they can. Any team that loses won't deserve to make it anyway. The maximum results for each side are:

RED (HIG, WAR): 11 wins and 59 points.
SHA (BUL, CHE): 10 wins and 59 points.
HUR (BYE, CHI): 10 wins and 58 points.

The Reds have to win both remaining games and not slip behind on bonus points - but if they manage that, they'll prevail courtesy of their extra win.

They could even finish fifth, tipping the Crusaders into sixth, but 6th is likely to be better than 5th for the playoffs, travel-wise.

Status
Not open for further replies.