• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wine thread

Garry Owen

Chris McKivat (8)
Touring wines of NZ, 'NZ in a glass' will be appearing in major capitals in Feb. Just ordered my tix for BrisVegas (MONDAY 27 FEBRUARY).

Narelle Clayton Narelle@nzwine.com

for trade or consumer passes.

Get your wine freak on.

matty_k

Peter Johnson (47)
Staff member
Opened a bottle of Pepper Tree Chardonnay 2004. A great drop. Highly recommend it at the moment.

S

spooony

Here by us you buy a 5 liter Overmeer (Kraantjie) and a 2lt coke and off you go getting pissed on the ketembas for under 30 bucks lol

S

spooony

You can be shot for spouting that sort of sacrilege around here, spooony.
A Ketemba is a Portuguese thing and things maybe sacred to you is part of someone else culture of how they did it growing up. The world is big and everywhere someone do a thing differently. You can't force people to see or do it your way..... unless you live in North Korea.

Maybe I should send you a bottle of home brewed mapoer or witblitz.

Sandpit Fan

Nev Cottrell (35)
A Ketemba is a Portuguese thing and things maybe sacred to you is part of someone else culture of how they did it growing up. The world is big and everywhere someone do a thing differently. You can't force people to see or do it your way..... unless you live in North Korea.

Maybe I should send you a bottle of home brewed mapoer or witblitz.

Take it easy mate, it's more the thought of the chateau cardboard and coke mixture which is putting Lindommer off! Understandable when you know he is a purveyor of fine wines!

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Take it easy mate, it's more the thought of the chateau cardboard and coke mixture which is putting Lindommer off! Understandable when you know he is a purveyor of fine wines!
Lind will appreciate wit blits and mampoer but never Spooonys vinegar doos wine.

S

spooony

Lind will appreciate wit blits and mampoer but never Spooonys vinegar doos wine.
haha the stuff they called wine where I grew up was the bottles you people in the Boland pissed in and stamp a Overmeer badge on it lol. No wine farms around nor much better wine. That's why they mix it with coke probably. But Mampoer and Witblitz they use to make by the dozens. One sip your spitting fire. I've seen the most hearted alcoholics came to bended knee on that. They make stuff almost similiar to it in Hermanus they call it Kanniedood, Regmakertjie and Vokdiepoesie lol

Mampoer gets made with fruit and Witblitz with veggies btw.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Recommend Irony Napa Cab Sav 2007 for Asian expats - currently enjoying one with a cheeky beef bourguignon :)

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Sitting in Brisvagas enjoying a Lone Fig Shiraz 2010. Surprising smooth and nice. And $20 a bottle on the mini bar, really can't complain.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
Just back from a long weekend touring Le Grand Vin de Bourgogne and am a happier man for it. Long live Burgundy reds from Nuits-Saint-Georges.

A wine buff once told me that you buy good wine in ratios of three. Drink one now as a teaser of things to come then drink the second one in 5 to 10 years and sell the third in 10 years and you should at least get your money back. Can any of the experts confirm or deny this?

suckerforred

Chilla Wilson (44)
Just back from a long weekend touring Le Grand Vin de Bourgogne and am a happier man for it. Long live Burgundy reds from Nuits-Saint-Georges.

A wine buff once told me that you buy good wine in ratios of three. Drink one now as a teaser of things to come then drink the second one in 5 to 10 years and sell the third in 10 years and you should at least get your money back. Can any of the experts confirm or deny this?

I am very jealous!!!! And only sell the third if it tastes like shit on the second.

But seriously - Good reds, particularly, do benifit from storage. I would be inclined to drink all three, but that is just me. I buy wine for the enjoyment, not the investment. Talking to a bloke once who was very proud of his unopened collection of Grange. When I pointed out that he could drink them, enjoy them, and still keep the bottle to prove that he had them, he didn't have a come back. Don't know if he ever did though... certainly didn't invite me. :(

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
I've yet to meet a winemaker (and I've met a lot in my time) who made wine to "collect" as trophies. In fact they're generally horrified to hear the labours of their love could ever not be enjoyed in a glass. Storing it/ageing it, no problem. Never opening it/parading it as spoil, sacrilege!

During this holy of holies week I'm with red bloke.

Baldric

Jim Clark (26)
Slugging down a Paringa Estate Pinot. Those Mornington Peninsula pinots aint too bad. But I would say that some of the Otagao ones are better.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Slugging down a Paringa Estate Pinot. Those Mornington Peninsula Pinots ain't too bad. But I would say that some of the Otago ones are better.

Music to my ears, please don't stop. B, come along to NZ Wine in a Glass on Thursday at Darling Harbour and sample Otago Pinots to your heart's content. Details here: http://www.nzwine.com/events

PS. Just realised you're in Melbourne, the Kiwis were there on Monday. But the rest of you can come down to Darling Harbour on Thursday. Look for a fanatical Tahs supporter.

Jethro Tah

Bob Loudon (25)
I've yet to meet a winemaker (and I've met a lot in my time) who made wine to "collect" as trophies. In fact they're generally horrified to hear the labours of their love could ever not be enjoyed in a glass. Storing it/ageing it, no problem. Never opening it/parading it as spoil, sacrilege!

Hence the buy in ratios of 3 regime. I know a guy who does it with vintage wines and claims to have always at least made his money back. Then again, gamblers don't always tell you about their losses. For the record, I know squat about wines and certainly wouldn't have the patience to have a cellar.

On the subject of vintage wines, Lindo have you ever come across a Chateau Margaux? A family friend back in oz who is a serious wine connoisseur has tasted some (don't know which vintage) and says it is that good. Per wiki, the label holds the record for the most expensive bottle of wine ever broken at $225,000, see here.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Yeh, I've tasted Margaux, well, just a sip at one of my WSET classes. Exceptional, extraordinary. But I swear I didn't break that bottle sir.