• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wine thread

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
I've tried the Tahblik Marsanne, and it's wonderful. Never had a D'Arenberg bottle that didn't make me want a second. :thumb

They're on a two-for special, the four for about ?45. Will get. Plus a 1996 Crozes Hermitage I had the other night and which was magnificent. Decanted (would need to do it more carefully next time - the sediment in this wine is scary), left open for three hours, drank, like silk. Still fruit there, but very restrained and civilised, hint of spice, bit of cedary wood, what I thought was mint at the time and would appear to tally with what you're saying about the old Tahblik vines, still some minerality, long, long finish, beautifully complex, elegant wine. ?20, down from ?50. :thumb :thumb :thumb

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Clearly you don't understand the reason for the vote failing - the common folk were duped by the Royalist scum into voting against the model, not the concept :)

St Kevin has decreed it's all going to change: the Royalist scum are all for the Tower after we vote for the concept, not the model. Is is possible an Ulsterman, Scarfie, could be our first President? Wonders will never cease to happen.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Well, if it's "No surrender" as the new watch-word for Australia, that's the Reds and the Brumbies in the shit. :lmao:

Over the weekend; 2005 Massaya Classic Red. Lebanese, 60-20-20 Cinsault-Cab Sauv-Syrah. Lovely fruity wine, opened out after about an hour, had that same minerality and smoky quality you'd find in Musar, which is also from the Bekaa, so the depleted uranium is obviously still working its magic. Interestingly, the same smoky edge you find in pinotage, of which Cinsault is one of the two parents. May be the source of it. Unlike most Lebanese wines, this is one you can drink young enough, as it's got very soft tannins. Had it with duck, and it was spot on. Made by Frogs, and for mine like a Vin de Pays d'Oc bit with a slightly higher grunt/finesse ration. Definitely a vast improvement on their 2004, which I had in the past, and I suspect that they're really starting to get this one moving. Their top-end one may very well be one to watch for really serious bargains in the future. As it is, I'd recommend trying this one if you see it, as it was quite cheap even in a restaurant.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
A few weeks back at my wife's father's b'day dinner. His kids and me cooked up a bit of a storm, and it was up to him to provide the wine for the night.

Not a bad surprise when he pulled out a bottle of 1973 Penfolds Grange Hermitage.

First wine I've had that is older than me (previous closest was 2 years younger than me). Must say it was pretty sensational, although there was a concern earlier in the day when he went to decant it and the cork broke up. Luckily it wasn't vinegar.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Thomond78 said:
2005 Massaya Classic Red. Lebanese, 60-20-20 Cinsault-Cab Sauv-Syrah. Lovely fruity wine, opened out after about an hour, had that same minerality and smoky quality you'd find in Musar, which is also from the Bekaa, so the depleted uranium is obviously still working its magic.

Some smartarse gave me one of these recently in a blind tasting in a bottle shop (to which I hoped to sell some wine). What a surprise! I couldn't believe a nice wine could come from a warm climate such as Lebanon. The advantage wine-growing areas such as the Bekaa Valley have over the New World is a thousand or so years of experience. We don't do so badly considering our comparative youth.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Thomond78 said:
Well, if it's "No surrender" as the new watch-word for Australia, that's the Reds and the Brumbies in the shit. :lmao:

Is this the appropriate time to mention the "Forge on ahead" mentality of the IRFU in keeping Comical Eddie for so long? :nta:

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Lindommer said:
Thomond78 said:
2005 Massaya Classic Red. Lebanese, 60-20-20 Cinsault-Cab Sauv-Syrah. Lovely fruity wine, opened out after about an hour, had that same minerality and smoky quality you'd find in Musar, which is also from the Bekaa, so the depleted uranium is obviously still working its magic.
Some smartarse gave me one of these recently in a blind tasting in a bottle shop (to which I hoped to sell some wine). What a surprise! I couldn't believe a nice wine could come from a warm climate such as Lebanon. The advantage wine-growing areas such as the Bekaa Valley have over the New World is a thousand or so years of experience. We don't do so badly considering our comparative youth.

Lebanese wine is farking brilliant. Massaya, Chateau Ksara (which takes its name from Caesarea, to give an idea of how long they've been making wine there), the ever-glorious Kefraya and, above all others, Chateau Musar. Musar can be erratic and you need to put away for at least a decade, but when it's good, it's a ?100 bottle for ?25.

If you see the entry level Kefraya, Les Breteches de Kefraya, buy it and drink it; you'll love it. It's like the French working at their peak on Aussie grapes, if that gives you a pointer.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Thomond78 said:
If you see the entry level Kefraya, Les Breteches de Kefraya, buy it and drink it; you'll love it. It's like the French working at their peak on Aussie grapes, if that gives you a pointer.

Now there's an oxymoron. But practically speaking, it wouldn't be allowed.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Lindommer said:
Thomond78 said:

Lebanese wine is farking brilliant. Massaya, Chateau Ksara (which takes its name from Caesarea, to give an idea of how long they've been making wine there), the ever-glorious Kefraya and, above all others, Chateau Musar. Musar can be erratic and you need to put away for at least a decade, but when it's good, it's a ?100 bottle for ?25.

Now there's an oxymoron. But practically speaking, it wouldn't be allowed.

Just you wait. They own half of Marlborough as is. Plus, unless you've tried some of the stuff coming out of the Northern Rhone villages like Rasteau, or Vaqueyras, or the Pays d'Oc lately, you don't realise just how much the French fight-back is gathering speed, both on value and on quality.

Ca ira, ca ira, ca ira, les Australiens a la lanterne
Ca ira, ca ira, ca ira, on y pendra... >:D

PB, which ones of that little heavenly corner of the Helderberg where every wine appears to be perfect did the klein Mnr. Engelbrecht work his magic on this time? Tasted their pinot noir a few years back courtesy of that good and deserving young scion of the Dumbo-eared clan, and it was a cracker. ;D

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thought I take the wine one futher here. Thomo was telling about my age Alsheimers problem last friday missing out on Els/Engelb Rust & Vrede visit. Saw in sundays newspaper that one of their tradesman was getting a huge wallop in Springbok Bar in Stellenbosch from the Brakpan Rugby Team early sunday morning. For some reason he wanted to have a go at one of their players and end up looking like a smashed train when trying to run away. Now how dum can that be? :lmao:

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
PaarlBok said:
Thought I take the wine one futher here. Thomo was telling about my age Alsheimers problem last friday missing out on Els/Engelb Rust & Vrede visit. Saw in sundays newspaper that one of their tradesman was getting a huge wallop in Springbok Bar in Stellenbosch from the Brakpan Rugby Team early sunday morning. For some reason he wanted to have a go at one of their players and end up looking like a smashed train when trying to run away. Now how dum can that be? :lmao:

By the standards of my favourite corner of Merriman and Andringa - pretty run of the mill. Great pub, with the best view of the mountains from its balcony, a 24 ATM and garage across the road and an incredible selection of whiskies. Seen dawn on several occasions there. :thumb

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Now the rugby's been decided the serious Tri Nations can start: the Tri Nations Wine Challenge starts today. http://www.trinationswine.com/index.htm
One of my contacts in the wine trade asked me to volunteer to act as a steward for this year's event, she didn't have to ask me twice. Spent all day yesterday classifying and lining up about 350 wines in readiness for judging today. After the judging today and tomorrow we get the chance to taste the wines. No, no, not all 350! :eek: :eek: :eek: Just those we take a fancy to.

Hard and dirty work, but someone's got to do it. Thomo, you got time to lend a hand?

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Thomond78 said:
By the standards of my favourite corner of Merriman and Andringa - pretty run of the mill. Great pub, with the best view of the mountains from its balcony, a 24 ATM and garage across the road and an incredible selection of whiskies. Seen dawn on several occasions there. :thumb
Talked to my collegas and according to him the wine was great but the food look fancy but he would have stopped at a KFC if its wasnt 1 in the morning. :nta:

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Lindommer said:
Now the rugby's been decided the serious Tri Nations can start: the Tri Nations Wine Challenge starts today. http://www.trinationswine.com/index.htm
One of my contacts in the wine trade asked me to volunteer to act as a steward for this year's event, she didn't have to ask me twice. Spent all day yesterday classifying and lining up about 350 wines in readiness for judging today. After the judging today and tomorrow we get the chance to taste the wines. No, no, not all 350! :eek: :eek: :eek: Just those we take a fancy to.

Hard and dirty work, but someone's got to do it. Thomo, you got time to lend a hand?

Bastard. :angryfire:

On that list, and I'm only listing off the ones I've personally tried, I'd definitely try the Moreson and Graham Beck sparkling - both from the Drakenstein valley, both excellent. For mine, btw, the Simonsig Cuvee Royale, which isn't on that list, is better than either. They leave it one the lees for 6 1/2 years, and it's just perfect. It's so good you actually do sip it.

Anything from Ataraxia tends to be excellent. Ditto Hamilton Russel; both cool climate down by Hermanus.

SB's - Had the Rustenberg Brampton recently, and it was gorgeous, fresh and zingy, with a bit of minerality but not as aggressive as Kiwi ones. Great food wine, btw. Waterford are usually brilliant as well, as the Helderberg likes SB. I'd definitely try Tokara as well, and the Nederberg Private Bins are usually worth a peek at.

Do not, whatever you do, miss the Ken Forrester FMC Chenin Blanc. You'll love it. All SA Chenin Blanc tends to be good, and they're on a great run of form at the moment.

Pinot Noir - definitely try both Bouchard Finlayson, both Hamilton Russels and the Oak Valley. All cool down in the Hemel en Aarde valley. Meerlust is one of my favourite estates on the planet, so don't miss it.

Merlot - Thelema, definitely (they do one of the best SB's around, btw, so why it's not in here baffles me). Saxenberg, and, above all others, Meerlust.

Shiraz - Thelema is a cracker as well. La Motte is one I always like, as it's very European in style. Ernie Els I'd try as well as it can be very good - tried it recently, very peppery new-world in style. Don't miss the Groot Constantia - it's actually owned by the state, would you believe? Good ol' Simon... ;D

Cab Sauv - Definitely the Rustenberg Brampton. I loves it. Drink it a bit warmer than you'd expect, though. I'm not a huge fan of Guardian Peak, but I've never tried their Lapa, and it's the same lads who do Ernie Els and Engelbrech Els, so have a peal at it. The Nederberg Private Bins are very different beasties, so try them. Glen Carlou is usually a banker, try it.

Bordeaux Blends - now, this is where it gets fun. Try them all. 2004 was a great year. Don't miss Morgenster, compare it with Durbanville Hills from the Atlantic Coast, then compare it with Elgin Vintners - which is close, but the other side of Sir Lowry's Pass and up in the mountains and the cool. Compare it then with the Rustenberg John X. Merriman, which is nearer Stellenbosch. But, whatever you do, do not miss the Meerlust Rubicon. I rate it as being one of the best Bordeaux Blends on the planet. I love it. It'll age forever, but can be drunk now.

Blends - Rust en Vrede and Beyerskloof Synergy. Both Cape Blends - i.e., with pinotage. Anything by Beyers Truter will change your view of pinotage forever. They're both incredible wines, but the Synergy is outrageously cheap for a wine like that. Fairview is excellent as well, made up in the Swartland, on the cool west coast - very interesting contrast, spicy and fruity as all get out. Don't miss the Boekenhoutskloof either, as Chocolate Block is another revelation of what pinotage can do in the right hands. Surprised no Kanonkop, to be honest.

Other reds - surprised, very, very, very surprised there's only one pinotage in there. I'd have had the Simonsig in there in a heart beat (I'd also have had their Frans Malan in the Cape Blends, btw), along with Beyerskloof. Try them all for interest - SA is doing some very interesting Cab Francs at the moment.

Desserts - Definitely the Paul Cluver Weisser Riesling, and the Ken Forrester T.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Went past it, didn't go in. There's a lot of wine-farms in the Boland, Oom, and I've only got one liver...

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
Alright, Lindommer, you've had enough recovery time - man up, stop whimpering, take a couple of paracetamol and report back, damn it! :police:

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Myself living between all this wineries exct. Maybe I should sent the stuff to you lot at a bargain prize. What do you think?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Thomond78 said:
Alright, Lindommer, you've had enough recovery time - man up, stop whimpering, take a couple of paracetamol and report back, damn it! :police:

Class and trophy winners are to be announced at a gala occasion on 21 November at the Regent in Sydney. No amount of begging on my part could persuade my snout to divulge the results. In fact I had one of my NZ wineries with me today who had a bubbly entered; she was frantic to know how it went. I, of course, will be one of the hosts on the evening. ;D ;D ;D

Want a cheap ticket, Thomo? Can I get you a glass of something?