• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Wine thread

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Today, o frabjous day, I received the results of my exams from the Wine & Spirit Education Trust from London, one of the world's most prestigious wine trade education institutions, if not the most prestigious; check their website http://www.wset.co.uk/. I PASSED THE ADVANCED COURSE. The email advised me yer man passed with merit. I honestly thought I'd failed (it's a fucking tough paper) and kept my past exams folder for revision in full expectation I'd have to sit the paper again. The tasting side wasn't so tough, they gave me a merit for that. ;D ;D ;D

O frabjous day!

cyclopath

George Smith (75)
Staff member
Well done, Lindommer. Really must get you to sample some of our wine. Seriously. PM me and I'll get some dropped off to ya!

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The winners of the 2008 TriNations Wine Challenge are to be announced on 21 November at the Regent in Sydney (some fool changed the name to the Four Seasons, but you know the pub I mean). 321 wines were entered, see if you can pick the winners. Wear your Wallaby jumper.

Here's a link to the night.

http://www.trinationswine.com

And a special treat (for no extra charge) you get to meet me. ;D ;D ;D

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
The 2008 TriNations Wine Challenge winners were announced last Friday at the Regent in Sydney. Our valiant Australian winemakers triumphed over our SH cousins, 17 gongs to Oz, 10 to NZ with the Saffers bringing up the rear with two gongs. On top of the gongs, Australia won best red of the show together with best white of the show, which meant we also won best wine of the show. Results can be viewed at http://www.trinationswine.com/Competition Winners 2008.xls

The full list of classes and entries can be viewed at http://www.trinationswine.com/Web Tri Nations.xls

Here's the crunch: Australia won both the Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir classes but those cheating McCaws won the Shiraz. Weird. The judging panel consisted of one useless Saffer, one dinky-di truthful Aussie and one cheating Kiwi. And one hopeless Pom. I checked every entry (all 320) on Friday night; that's why it's taken me until Thursday next week to report. :shaking :shaking :shaking

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Well good to see a Nedeburgie from Paarl also on your list. Good one that. Noble Late Harvest is a white semi sweet?

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Lindommer said:
Here's the crunch: Australia won both the Sauvignon Blanc and Pinot Noir classes but those cheating McCaws won the Shiraz. Weird.

I forgot to mention another unusual result: Australia won the Bordeaux blends class. Some of the Jaapies in attendance weren't too happy with that one, they spent a lot of time at that table going over their wines to see how they compare to ours.

One of the things I do at shows like this is taste wines I don't know so I learn something new. I came to the conclusion our Kiwi cousins can't make good full-bodied reds and most of their whites have too much residual sugar. They feel our whites are too dry and their sweeter ones go better with food. To each their own. Most of the Saffer wines were very old-fashioned, too much oak and not enough length. The time warp their winemakers are trapped in was exemplified in their packaging: lead capsules on heavy bottles and very few screw caps, even for the whites. Although I must say the Saffer Chenin Blancs were a pleasant surprise. It's something we turn our noses up in Australia as there are some very good Chenin Blancs from WA.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
Lind thats not fare. Think you are way to biased and a one eyed Aussie to select the best wines. You see only Wallabies and Bokke and All Blacks on the bloody bottles once you taste one to many. Nee not fair at all. :angryfire:

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
It's an old-world/new-world split. SA makes European Bordeaux, which age brilliantly. It's a style I prefer, I'd have to say, as I'm not a huge fan of too much fruit up front. It can be full-bodied, fine, but I personally think Bordeaux should be more subtle - Rhone or Pays d'Oc for big swinging reds.

SA wine benefits from age, especially pinotage.

Personally, I like lead capsules and cork on reds. Fairview, for example, do screw-tops on GdR, but lead and cork on their up-market stuff.

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
I knew Justin Nurse back in the day through Rhodes Debating. Mate of mine did the design work for most of the early t-shirts like the immortal "Dead Bull Gives You Mince", and on the Black Labour one. :lmao:

Thomond78

Colin Windon (37)
PaarlBok said:
Thomond78 said:
"Dead Bull Gives You Mince",
That one sound interesting. :eek: :lmao:

Here you go.

brandspanking2_47.jpg

And the similar

brandspanking4_11.jpg

Our resident Bokomo boytjie might appreciate this one, too. ;)

http://www.laughitoff.co.za/wp-content/uploads/2008/11/brandishdesigns2_85.jpg

the gambler

Dave Cowper (27)
Well done Lindo. Top effort that. On both the London exams and the tri nations tasting. :thumb

I myself have been keeping busy since getting home setting up a bit of a new wine business with my brother. For fear of getting in trouble or breaking any unwritten laws I wont do a direct plug but if anyone is interested in wine masterclasses, education courses, winemaker dinners or indeed anything wine related in Sydney then let me know.

There is already a Tri Nations challenge rip off on our calendar and a special private tasting for NSW Rugby Referees. I have refused a request to try and pass off some cats piss as Oyster Bay to see if their taste buds are any better than their eyesight. :fishing

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Well, you lot can keep your wine because the people at Bundaberg Rum have just trumped every winemaker in the known universe. Again.

Bundaberg Red is clearly the closest thing any of us will ever get to an angel pissing on our tongue. Filtering it with red gum - genius and absolutely, without doubt, the only way to properly celebrate Australia Day.

Geddidindaya.