• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
http://www.rugby.com.au/news/2018/09/25/world-rugby-women-rugby-championship

Apparently WR (World Rugby) are considering looking to fund a women's Rugby Championship equivalent. Though perhaps not exactly the same in terms of composition. Personally, I'd prefer to see some kind of Pacific based structure with NZ, Aus, Fiji, USA, Canada and possibly Japan. Or if they are looking for the best possible standard according to rankings NZ, Aus, Can and the USA.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Or if they are looking for the best possible standard according to rankings NZ, Aus, Can and the USA.

Might be more likely. The 6th ranked Aussies are barely competitive with the Kiwis, so I reckon the likes of Japan would really struggle.

Within top 6
---------------
1 NZL 95.66
4 CAN 86.31
5 USA 79.41
6 AUS 78.68

12-20: non-6 Nations
---------------------------
12 SAM 68.72
16 JPN 62.99
17 KAZ 62.22
20 RUS 58.47

10-15: Euro2/Saffa
------------------------
10 ESP 72.50
13 RSA 68.51
14 NED 64.21
15 POR 64.00

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
With the allegations of biting in this game (Liz Patu alleged to have been hungry) (Qld V WA) I am left wonder why the TMO was not called in to adjudicate as this is a matter of extreme foul play. Is this not available in the Super W?

The footage is absolutely clear, just a quick google will bring up multiple links,

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/r...llegation-during-super-w-match-ng-b881123772z

a very long ban could well be in the offing, regardless of history.

LearningCurve

Bill Watson (15)
With the allegations of biting in this game (Liz Patu alleged to have been hungry) (Qld V WA) I am left wonder why the TMO was not called in to adjudicate as this is a matter of extreme foul play. Is this not available in the Super W?

The footage is absolutely clear, just a quick google will bring up multiple links,

https://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/r...llegation-during-super-w-match-ng-b881123772z

a very long ban could well be in the offing, regardless of history.

I thought I read that they didn't have a TMO facility in that match and as the ref hadn't' seen the incident herself she couldn't act on it, only refer it/ Patu has since been called before the judiciary. Shame that something like this has to mar a great performance by the Qld team.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
As all games wont have the facilities then none can use them. Terrible act and I hope she comes out and takes responsibility for her actions and pleads guilty. 8-10 weeks on the sideline would be a starting point.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Nice article. Sad to hear about the diagnosis of Doddie Wier though. That is the first time I've heard that.

Bloody horrific illness. Recently read a piece out of SA that referenced a research paper that suggested a link between playing collision sports (particularly at the elite level) and a higher occurrence of MND. Bloody frightening.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
As all games wont have the facilities then none can use them. Terrible act and I hope she comes out and takes responsibility for her actions and pleads guilty. 8-10 weeks on the sideline would be a starting point.

Precedent says it should carry a 12 week suspension, with a significant reduction if she pleads guilty and shows remorse. I would like to think they still give her 6-8 weeks to set an example in the women's game and especially a player of her standing.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)

I would also strip her of the Australian captaincy......... there's no room for that kind of intentional foul play.

Gnostic

Mark Ella (57)
Bloody horrific illness. Recently read a piece out of SA that referenced a research paper that suggested a link between playing collision sports (particularly at the elite level) and a higher occurrence of MND. Bloody frightening.

Was a recent article in one of the medical journals that had a strong correlation with a fungal infection of all things. The evidence in a cluster group of effected people was pretty startling, but correlation doesn't amount to causation. It (concussion and concussive incidents) may well be an exacerbating factor to an underlying disease condition or even a trigger for a predisposition.

WorkingClassRugger

David Codey (61)
Was a recent article in one of the medical journals that had a strong correlation with a fungal infection of all things. The evidence in a cluster group of effected people was pretty startling, but correlation doesn't amount to causation. It (concussion and concussive incidents) may well be an exacerbating factor to an underlying disease condition or even a trigger for a predisposition.

I looked up the paper and it's authors have made it quite clear that much more study is required.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
QUEENSLAND RUGBY UNION STATEMENT REGARDING LIZ PATU JUDICIAL HEARING

Queensland Rugby Union (QRU) made the below statement following the outcome of tonight’s Rugby Australia judicial hearing, which found Queensland Women's XV prop Liz Patu guilty under Law 9.12 for biting. Following the hearing at QRU headquarters at Ballymore, Judicial Officer Chris Newton issued Patu with a suspension of six (6) weeks after she had entered a guilty plea for the offence.

Queensland Super W program head and Queensland Women’s XV assistant coach Tyrell Barker said: “Queensland prop Liz Patu has pleaded guilty to the charge of biting, following Queensland’s Super W match against Rugby WA on Saturday evening.

“Liz has expressed her remorse, and extends an apology to the player in question, the Rugby WA Women’s team, her own teammates and the wider Rugby public.

“Behaviour like this is unacceptable in our game and we support the suspension handed down by the judiciary.

“As we continue to work to build the Women’s game, we need to ensure that players have a safe playing and training environment from the grassroots through to the elite level of the game.

“We also have a duty of care to the player in question. Liz has been a part of Queensland and National programs for a long time, and her actions on the weekend were out of character.

“We will work with Liz to ensure that when she returns to play, she will demonstrate the spirit of Rugby and abide by the laws of the game.”

http://redsrugby.com.au/News/NewsAr...ment-regarding-Liz-Patu-judicial-hearing.aspx

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
It rules her out for the rest of the Super W so that's quite an impact. The fact she pleaded guilty might have helped, along with a good previous record.

I think she'll also never captain the Wallaroos again.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I was a bit surprised, frankly. Biting is about as low as it goes.

In line with what I envisioned, it was essentially a legal proceeding and as such precedents were applied, as I posted earlier a similar offence in the men's game last year yielded the same 6 week suspension after a guilty plea.

RugbyReg

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
This from RA:

Queensland prop Liz Patu has appeared before an independent disciplinary panel in Brisbane tonight after being cited over an alleged biting incident during the match between Queensland Women's XV and Rugby WA Women at Suncorp Stadium last Saturday.

Following the hearing at QRU headquarters at Ballymore, Judicial Officer Chris Newton issued Patu with a suspension of six (6 weeks) after she had entered a plea of guilty to the offence.

The entry point for a biting offence carries a 12-week suspension, however Patu received the full 50% reduction available under World Rugby regulations due to mitigating factors and her previous good character and clean disciplinary record.

The last biting incident I can remember in Australia was in the Drua's first game of the NRC back in 2017:

Fijian Drua hooker Samu Suguturaga went before a National Rugby Championship (NRC) judicial hearing in Brisbane on Tuesday night after being cited for an incident in a scrum during his team's Round 1 NRC match against Brisbane City at Ballymore Stadium last Saturday.

Suguturaga received a 20-week suspension after pleading guilty to the charge of Law 10.4(m) Biting.

Judicial Officer, Paul Tully found that the conduct was in the high end for this offence which has an entry point of 24 weeks. The player received a reduction due to certain mitigating circumstances.

Drua incident here:

Obviously you can't see the actual incident but the reaction is there and there is a heap of blood.

635876ec6fc0fc284cd8be4e8c7f132c

So Suguturage was given a 24 week suspension for a high end offense.

Patu was given a 12 week suspension for mid level offense.