• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Women's Rugby Union

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I did not see the ABC morning report but on the subject of a female team being apart of playing in the Gay Rugby World Cup you would expect that being a given.

Women supporting gay players as well as gay players themselves should be apart of it. Like other sports Womens Rugby has a pretty large gay population.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
In the Brisbane comp:

Sunnybank beat Redlands 71-5 in the major semi on the weekend.
In the other game Uni beat Wests 33-0

So Redlands play Uni this weekend to see who will play Sunnybank in the Grand Final. They have played each other 3 times this year with Redlands winning in round 4 (10-3) and round 9 (15-6) while Uni got one back in round 14 (19-5)

Redlands are the only team to have beaten Sunnybank this year, back in round 6 with a 15-5 win at home.

Tim&Bingo

Chris McKivat (8)
[quote="

On a seperate topic, Did anyone catch Morning Report on ABC702 this morning?

I missed it but heard their promos. They were doing a segment on the ARU quest for female athletes to try out for a Go for Gold in Gold in Rio 2016.[/quote]

Seems a bit like this RFU 7s development/selection process

Keep an eye out for Sally Tuson!!

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Melbourne and Perth Trials for the Pathway to Gold (Rio 7's) covered on The Rugby Club tonight.

150 new converts apparently. Is there capacity in Melbourne Women's rugby to keep these "new" players occupied and interested?

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
HJ one of the girls in my team that came back from Melbourne this year did play 15-a-side Rugby in Vic. I'm sure they even have a 15-a-side rep team. The location/suburb of where the girls live, age, & email/phone contact should be taken at these trials to try & get them attached to an existing club or get numbers for new women's teams at other clubs, open or age group - whatever they choose. The trials are good but they need to be filed into regular participation, otherwise it won't be much different to Try Rugby which is great but not regular. Good to see a lot of girls interested though.

ACT Crusader

Jim Lenehan (48)
Melbourne and Perth Trials for the Pathway to Gold (Rio 7's) covered on The Rugby Club tonight.

150 new converts apparently. Is there capacity in Melbourne Women's rugby to keep these "new" players occupied and interested?

There's a VRU sanctioned Women's comp that currently has 5 teams (was 4 not long ago) A friend of mine played for a few years at Box Hill (she may have moved to Northern?) and then made some Vic rep side.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
The Olympics presents a great opportunity to grow the game.

I just hope that the powers that be actually have a play for the Rugby 7's as a capability rather than just selecting and developing one all star squad of 12 super 7's players.

It has to be about building the pyramid with a very wide base, and then selecting the best from the top of that pyramid.

Jets

Paul McLean (56)
Staff member
Just saw this on YouTube. Not sure when it was on ABC news and in what states.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
I did not see the ABC morning report but on the subject of a female team being apart of playing in the Gay Rugby World Cup you would expect that being a given.

Women supporting gay players as well as gay players themselves should be apart of it. Like other sports Womens Rugby has a pretty large gay population.

http://sydneyconvicts.org/binghamcup2014media/

We won the rights to host - Awesome.

Mark will be in Sydney August 2014.

Now that the rights have been awarded to Sydney, it is still a little unclear whether there will be a female division.

Time for the Sisterhood to start lobbying.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
Now that the rights have been awarded to Sydney, it is still a little unclear whether there will be a female division.

Time for the Sisterhood to start lobbying.

I think the big question is Jarse whether there are enough women's rugby players outside of Sydney that actually know about that tornie.

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
BYRON BAY 7's

Some women's 7's Rugby action this weekend (along with the boys of course). At Byron Bay. Yours truly will be going along & as Newcastle Uni did not organise a team this year I will be playing for the Hamilton Harps who kindly let me & x2 other Uni girls come along.

Byron bay 7's does get some competitive 7's teams - Hamilton is not one of them :D The Harps give it a real go locally at 15's but when it comes to 7's they fully embrace it as a chance to drink, dress up, & really just let their hair down from the 15's season. In short - this is an off-season boozeathon. Any hopes I had of us competing seriously were dashed when one of them posted this on our Facebook event page for the trip....

https://fbcdn-sphotos-g-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-AK (Andrew Kellaway)-prn1/156561_10152195068065422_1566431063_n.jpg​

Plan is we leave Newcastle in the bus at 8am tomorrow, the consumption of alcohol will commence on the bus, lord knows what condition the team will be in by Saturday for kick off. I'm not expecting much in terms of results for my team but I will be able to have a look at how Sunnybank goes - it will be interesting to see if they go head to head with Arongatahi NZ as they are a dedicated NZ womens 7's team themselves. We will get to play Arongatahi as they are in our pool.

List of women's teams for BB7's:

Arongatahi NZ
Norths Savages
Hamilton Harps
SCU Women's
Where Wally
Waverley Warriors
Waverley 2
Cookies & Cream
Sydney Uni
Sunnybank
Noosa Phinettes
The Dogies
Redland Bay
The Rebels
Nerang Bullettes
Highlanders

Oh the Harps will certainly stand out, we have a zoological theme, everyone will be going out at night in animal onezie's I believe. Given my newest cousins name means "Lion" I will be going dressed as one - my name for the weekend is Mustafa :eek:

I'll keep an eye on what goes on & if I survive the weekend I'll do a briefing of the results & teams here. I'd post photos but I've been told "what happens in Byron stays in Byron".

AngrySeahorse

Peter Sullivan (51)
I have finally got around to doing a write up on Byron bay 2012 for the women's. I have left some of the details out (to maintain some kind of dignity) but the bulk of the experience is here:

Playing wise - we (Harps) were to play Arongatahi NZ, Norths Savages, SCU Women's in the pool rounds then we ended up playing Where's Wally on the second day. We actually did not know the draw until early Saturday morning. Our team consisted of a few leaner whippets like myself but we had a handful of large props.

The trip started Friday morning, we left at around 8:30am on the bus. I & the bus driver were the only ones that did not drink alcohol. There was a significant amount of mooning & boob flashing (sure as hell not from me!), on the way up which was met with a variety of reactions from passing motorists, pedestrians, & civil construction workers. We had instruction on the way up from the Capt that anyone who asked who we were we'd say Hamilton if the reception was good, if we got bad reception we were to say we were Wanderers :D

The longer the trip went the messier it got. The more stops we needed to make. What was meant to be just over an 8hr trip turned into 11hrs (I actually thought at one stage we would not make it to Byron Bay). Eventually we got dropped off, there were two separate houses on two separate blocks. One house was the "Young &/or loud" house, the other was the "Older &/or quiet" house. Ironically the supposed "Quiet" house (which I chose) became the loudest over the weekend.

Given the drinking all day Friday & into the night the team was not exactly in the best condition to play Saturday morning. I was virtually the only able bodied person.

First game, we beat SCU first up. I scored a try which was nice. I don't know who the men's team was behind the goal posts but there were some real douche bags in that team. Kudos to the man among them who had the kahunas to tell them to knock it off. I was positively surprised we won the game given the state the team was in.

Second game was Arongatahi NZ, a 7's team from NZ that has focused on 7's for a long time. They were taking it seriously. We were annihilated. The team highlight was that no one was intimidated despite how large these girls were (& fast too). My best move in the game was chasing a kick & putting on a large hit to the oppo that had received the ball - I was happy to of at least mustered that. I was adamant that Arongatahi would take the whole comp out.

We went off & had lunch at the rsl/bowlo near by. I was gob smacked that some of the girls were drinking alcohol again. My Irish ancestors would be proud of their drinking efforts. When we came back we faced Savages who had "No excuses" on big letters on their warm up tops. We on other hand were dressed as zookeepers & were singing songs. Savages did not even crack a smile - game faces people. We hung in there 1 try a piece for most of the game (to everyone's surprise) then Savages scored 2 or so tries late in the second half to win. Funniest moment of the game was one of the Savages players yelling out "W ball!", so one of our players yelled out "Its a W ball girls!", the same savages player then in a panicked voice yells "Recall! Recall!". Our team nearly lost it with laughter, we had no clue what a W ball was.

Also, fair play to the Wanderers boys that were there they were really nice, they did not make it to the end of the tornie unfortunately. They were the only men's team from Newcastle there I believe. One of them did go off in a ambo with what I believe was a serious elbow injury so I hope he's ok.

That night we went out in the animal onesies. Good times. "The Beaches" was a nice place to go, we also went to the "Rail" or "Railway" I forget what it is properly called. A couple of Fijian looking guys directed me to the draw for Sunday which had Harps against "Wheres Wally". I think the guys I spoke to were in the Sunnybank mens team that went on to win the comp. I got my arse back to hang out at the "quiet-come-loud" house & the others stayed out. There was too much stuff to list on what happened that night.

Next morning we played "Where's Wally" which did contain at least one Australian women's player. Fortunately they had a collective sense of humour & during the game we decided to play Netball, then Gridiron, then AFL, then Soccer, I think Curling was attempted at some stage. The referees law adaption to each sport change was impressive - give that man a gig at the top level! Ultimately "Where's Wally" went through. They won the B side of the women's comp.

I could not see all the other teams play but Nerang Bullettes I believe was a team with a fair portion of Aboriginal girls (I'm guessing they were an Aboriginal based team). They did not take out either side of the draw out but they had some great skills. Sunnybank women's have not changed a great deal since the last time I saw them but in time I can see them being consistently competitive.

Arongatahi NZ & Redland Bay - for the teams that were taking it seriously these two teams were the cream of the crop. They were a class above. Both met in the top group final. Very evenly matched, Aron was more big & physical yet still very quick (I wanted Redland to get the ball more so I could watch Aron put on more hits ;)). Redland were slightly smaller but probably a km or so quicker & the key was that they held no fear of Aron's physicality. FT saw the game drawn so they went into extra time. Redland got a try off a ricochet off an Aron player while kicking ahead. I felt it was going to come down to something like that as the game was quite even. The comments from the crowd were very appreciative. TBH the women's A group final showed more physicality than the following men's final with Sunnybank. I have a video file but looking to upload it on here it does not appear!

After this game we spent one more night out. Went swimming the next day. Went to what I believe was the "Great Northern Hotel". Wasn't happy about no pool table but nice pub. Last night out I actually drank alcohol - whoopee!. Next day went home with the players a lot more quite on the bus than on the way up. There was some more drama before we got home but I can't post it for legal reasons. Best weekend of 2012 for me.