• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Club 10's Singapore - June 21/22

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
In terms of TV coverage this is what is happening.

Fox Sports will be showing it on delay at 8pm on Saturday night.

On Sunday they will show the knockout stages live from 12-2pm on one channel then again at 4-5:30pm on another channel, so don't get caught out if you are IQ'ing this.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies go 3/3 on Day 1 of the event:

Vs Petrarca 12-0
Vs The Dragons 22-17
Vs Cardiff Blues 21-12

They'll play Biarritz in the Cup QF at 1:25PM EST tomorrow.

mst

Peter Johnson (47)
Team list at the start of the game had a Mitchell Wacle listed. Any idea who he is?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Might be a typo but it could be a Mitchell Ward from Gungahlin?

Can anyone else shed any light on this?

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Brumbies gave Biarritz a belting, 47-0.

They'll play Cardiff Blues at 4:54pm EST in the Cup Semi Final.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Pretty disappointed by the quality of teams here apart from the Brumbies and Blues who are the clear standouts. Would've liked to see an Aviva team (Welsh just got promoted), maybe Bath, Saracens or Harlequins. Top 14 team with a bigger academy like Toulouse would've been handy too. Needs a Saffer team too.

Brumby Jack

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
True.

The World Club 7's is probably a better tournament than this but the Brumbies already won that and the fact the 7's is on during the NRC is a major reason they didn't go back.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
What is Tom Murday doing playing for Auckland Blues?

He is QLD home grown and I thought he was on an EPS arrangement or academy or something with the Ponies, and playing with the Vikings in John 1 Dent.

I saw him playing ITM cup last year with the Northland Taniwha's, but though that someone had posted that he had returned to Canberra this season.

Nusadan

Chilla Wilson (44)
On a side note, David Pocock is with the Brumbies there as a part of the support staff, caught glimpse of him at the half time break just then on the telly.

qwerty51

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Didn't realise Larkham went over, thought it was just Pocock and someone else. I see Laurie isn't there, this is surely not a good preparation for a big week ahead for the Brumbies?

If Pocock's knee never gets better I wonder if he's interested in coaching.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
The Super teams say screw you and your 10's concept. Were just gonna play like it's Super rugby with 5 men in the bin each.

Much tighter than the previous games.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
Silly by the Brumbies at the end there. Blues must have been reading their restarts and threw two guys at the second receiver. Easy money.

That pitch is a fucking disgrace.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
Just googled the stadium.

It is brand new and this is the first event there. Cost 1.8b Sing Dollars.

The surface is natural grass with artificial fibres woven in. I guess they just went overboard a little with the sand.

lincoln

Bob Loudon (25)
Pleasant afternoon at the new stadium - the cooling system seems to work albeit coming and going. Players did not look nearly as stresed as they did in Singapore 7's. Unlike Australia, beer is cheaper than at any bar in town at SGD10 for a pint of Tiger.
SSS June14.jpg

oztimmay

Geoff Shaw (53)
Staff member
Pleasant afternoon at the new stadium - the cooling system seems to work albeit coming and going. Players did not look nearly as stresed as they did in Singapore 7's. Unlike Australia, beer is cheaper than at any bar in town at SGD10 for a pint of Tiger.
View attachment 4932

Shit, that's cheap. You'll pay that for a stubbie up at Ku De Ta. albeit with a decent view. Never found Beer cheap over there, guess they need something to tax.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
"Organisers said nearly 11,000 people attended the two-day event, which was the launch for a new 55,000-seat stadium."

I'm guessing a large % of those were supporters rather than locals. Kinda puts some perspective on the alleged Asian interest in joining Super Rugby.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
@Waiopehu oldboy, How many do you think you would get if the inaugural World Club 10's were run on the Gold Coast?

That being said, I have lived in Singapore, albeit a long time ago, and I would say that they are not great supporters of rugby although they do have their rusted on tragics (locals not expats). I don't think things have changed much. Rugby to the general populace in Singapore is about as popular as Baseball is here.

Status
Not open for further replies.