• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby U20 Championship 2019

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Incidentally, how good was our goal kicking in last night's match? How come our seniors never come close to that.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
You can download a free and legal browser VPN and watch it on the official rugby stream - set to England.

The actual act of watching it is something of a grey area so, yeah, up to you. Personally don't care if they fail to provide it in any reasonable format in my country.

Yeah, I should probably just HTFU & pay the $80 but it's spark, the telco formerly known as TelecomNZ & as far as I can ascertain they changed the name because it was the least-trusted major brand in NZ for several years running. I'm having issues with them right now at home & at work so I'm not really inclined to give them any benefit of the doubt that they'll manage to fuck it up big time.

I may also google "VPN" & see what that's all about (I'm guessing V is for virtual?). Thanks for the tip.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
I actually don't mind the refs clamping down on that sort of thing..... there's a few players in Australian rugby who I wish would reign in that sort of behaviour - it's not a good look, particularly when you're not setting the world on fire.

I blame Tom Carter.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Wednesday's matches:

23:30 AEST Georgia v Scotland, Italy v Ireland
02:00 France v Argentina, Wales v Fiji
04:30 SA v NZ, England v Australia

B

Bobby Sands

Is it just me or does it seem like we have a generational side and the rest of the big nations have kinda ordinary sides this year?

New Zealand not setting the world on fire, and England only beating Italy by a point after losing to Ireland?

Maybe biased wishful thinking, so apologies for putting the the mozz on.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Is it just me or does it seem like we have a generational side and the rest of the big nations have kinda ordinary sides this year?

New Zealand not setting the world on fire, and England only beating Italy by a point after losing to Ireland?

Maybe biased wishful thinking, so apologies for putting the the mozz on.
It's certainly encouraging. I'm more interested in seeing some of these blokes take the step up. Has McReight got Super caps? Also Lucas looks great but hes definitely on the small side. Should make for interesting viewing.

Tex

Greg Davis (50)
How many of them are signed to NRL clubs? Or are they largely on rugby pathway programs?

It's bloody exciting to see them come up. The highlights i've seen so far (of all matches, mind) have been great. Defence systems are still maturing so there's plenty of line breaks and slick moves. Good entertainment

Rebels3

Jim Lenehan (48)
By this stage they are generally all in the rugby pathways, it’s the school boys teams that a large portion end up in the NRL.

I’d dare say everyone of these guys are already aligned to a super team or Force.

upthereds#!

Ken Catchpole (46)
Front Row is doing better. Few key forwards have super rugby games/training history.

Wood is doing well, but they will start Frost with Hosea. 2 experienced, giant locks. A big backrow, but differently is that Wilson and Harris are showing great mobility for guys their size which is what we have been missing (muscle & speed). Our forward depth is better. Hosea, Frost, Haangana as locks? Epic. Wilson, Wood, Harris, Tafa sharing 6/8? Means we have a full 80 min forward pack.

B

Bobby Sands

How many of them are signed to NRL clubs? Or are they largely on rugby pathway programs?

It's bloody exciting to see them come up. The highlights i've seen so far (of all matches, mind) have been great. Defence systems are still maturing so there's plenty of line breaks and slick moves. Good entertainment

Can't be selected U20s if on league pathway.

The good ones (the ones we dont want to lose) are already week in, week out first graders at 20.

Reactions: Tex
B

Bobby Sands

Front Row is doing better. Few key forwards have super rugby games/training history.

Wood is doing well, but they will start Frost with Hosea. 2 experienced, giant locks. A big backrow, but differently is that Wilson and Harris are showing great mobility for guys their size which is what we have been missing (muscle & speed). Our forward depth is better. Hosea, Frost, Haangana as locks? Epic. Wilson, Wood, Harris, Tafa sharing 6/8? Means we have a full 80 min forward pack.

Tizzano is absolutely brutal.

A rare type of player in oz rugby in that he is not a technical beast - but his intensity is what makes him so effective. Probably a by product of coming through a non-traditional rugby pathway.

More of them please!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
Based off some very rudimentary research (I know sfa about the u20s and their history), our previous best year was 2010 where we got dished up by the baby blacks in the final. Also, the years preceding and following we came 4th and 3rd respectively. So the u20 generation of 2009-11 was pretty hot stuff.

I had a cursory look at the players from those three years you have: Beale, To'omua, Hooper, Sio, Gill, Jones, White, Kuridrani, Simmons, Slipper and DHP. They've been part of the core group of Wallabies for a while now (Gill and Jones are pushing it).

I don't want to jinx the team or get ahead of myself, but it feels like this current u20s team is on track to do something similar or better than that generation's push at the JWC.

So, fully expect these current u20 players to be around for a while yet.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
Tizzano is absolutely brutal.

A rare type of player in oz rugby in that he is not a technical beast - but his intensity is what makes him so effective. Probably a by product of coming through a non-traditional rugby pathway.

More of them please!

Yeah he plays first grade for my old club of Uni over here in the west and was PG Hampshire winner (B&F in premier grade). The bloke is a freak for his age.