• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby U20 Championship 2019

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
How about Frost going 60. How many guys > 200cm can do that in World Rugby? Glad we got him back from the Crusaders.

Dark Shark

Alex Ross (28)
Penalty against goading?? What on earth is going on.

I saw this creeping in to the team during the Oceania series and started to look very ugly during the NZ match. It was a matter of time before this childish behaviour was penalised. It was reminding me of the Aust cricket team at their boorish worst. The reversal of the penalty and resulting points put the team in a vulnerable position. Lucky for Aust the red card on Irish may have let them off the hook this time.

I hope the lesson has now been learned and the young men just play the exciting rugby they are capable of rather than clapping and cheering the opposition when they make a mistake.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
I saw this creeping in to the team during the Oceania series and started to look very ugly during the NZ match. It was a matter of time before this childish behaviour was penalised. It was reminding me of the Aust cricket team at their boorish worst. The reversal of the penalty and resulting points put the team in a vulnerable position. Lucky for Aust the red card on Irish may have let them off the hook this time.

I hope the lesson has now been learned and the young men just play the exciting rugby they are capable of rather than clapping and cheering the opposition when they make a mistake.
What did they say?

I was watching and all i heard was celebrating at a critical turnover. Thought it was ridiculous tbh, unless they actually said things i couldn't hear.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Yeah - it’s a strange one. Certainly I would like to see some of the over the top carry on to be reigned in a bit, but it seemed pretty innocuous in this instance.

I understand people being a bit gun-shy given some of the boorish behaviour that Australian sporting teams have been guilty of, but it certainly seemed tame compared to what you see in the average super rugby game.

B

Bobby Sands

I didn’t see anything in it & im not sure how it can possibly be a penalty reversal.

Very odd to me.

drewprint

John Solomon (38)
Was it any player in particular the penalty was awarded against? I’ve noticed #6 Wilson thrives in the combative niggly stuff. Which I love, we need a few more like him in Australian rugby, but he might need to be a bit more selective.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Was it any player in particular the penalty was awarded against? I’ve noticed #6 Wilson thrives in the combative niggly stuff. Which I love, we need a few more like him in Australian rugby, but he might need to be a bit more selective.
I believe it was Wood, who I understand likes a bit of lip too.

But it really did seem pretty minor to me.

Slim 293

Stirling Mortlock (74)
I actually don't mind the refs clamping down on that sort of thing........... there's a few players in Australian rugby who I wish would reign in that sort of behaviour - it's not a good look, particularly when you're not setting the world on fire.

Up the Guts

Steve Williams (59)
I don't really think it's the referees prerogative to marshall niggle between teams unless it's against the code of conduct (a bit of a loaded term). Things like yelling at lineouts, head pats after someone drops the ball, antagonising players with short fuses etc. have always been part of the game. Of course, it's not always a good look but it's up to the coaches and players to work out how they want to be perceived by fans and the opposition.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
Spark sport crashed again this morning meaning no-one saw most of the first half of NZ v Scotland. Making me wonder if I'm better to fork out for a RWC pass ($80) & hope for the best or watch on FTA with one hour delay.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
I think they might rest some players. Not too many, but some.
  • Mainly to get freshness back into a few legs - you could see our guys were getting tired in the 2nd half last night … until Ireland themselves hit the wall and our mob ran away with it. The Irish playing England then Australia (mostly a man down) really knackered them. But they bullied Oz in the middle part of the game.
  • With a 28-man bench you can still sub on anyone as needed in the next match.
  • Regarding the ladder – as I make it, there are now six teams in play for the final four - see below. The format sux, but Aus are well placed. France play Argentina so, unless it's a close basketball score with France getting a BP loss then only one of them should make it, likely France. Ireland still have a long shot - but only if they get a massive win against Italy with a BP and one of the top Pool A or C teams lose without a BP.

I'd rotate a few. Don't know if you'd call it resting and with some of the quality we have on the bench, maybe it's worthwhile. Nick Frost and Esei Ha'angana are both worth a start. Reckon Joe Cotton, Tafa and Tizzano are too. Plus Henry Robertson.

There are no easy finals matches and you've got to win two. Better to risk a loss to England and refresh players than to risk wearing out our "A" team. Lots of games in a short space of time in this tournament.

As I said, a few of those guys really aren't much of a step down from the incumbents.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
How are you blokes in Straya going with your streaming service(s) in terms of them being available when they say they're going to be?

As above I'm contemplating watching RWC on one hour delay FTA rather than risk the stream falling over, which it has done repeatedly incl this morning.

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
Spark sport crashed again this morning meaning no-one saw most of the first half of NZ v Scotland. Making me wonder if I'm better to fork out for a RWC pass ($80) & hope for the best or watch on FTA with one hour delay.
You can download a free and legal browser VPN and watch it on the official rugby stream - set to England.

The actual act of watching it is something of a grey area so, yeah, up to you. Personally don't care if they fail to provide it in any reasonable format in my country.

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
Just watched the full replay after staying up last night and then working out Fox wasn’t showing it firstly Ireland were incredibly brave after the send off at the 15 min mark which BTW I thought was deserved, shocking technique and completely reckless. McReight again was outstanding, reminds me of Liam Gill with better ball skills, bell was really really good, Hosea hasn’t done anything for me in recent games however he was heavy thru contact, well done excellent game, Lucas was all class and provides a X factor most teams won’t have, Harrison provides a really good head at 10, nice kick, great pass and has a really good understanding of the game. Rugby Reg I would like to see some changes next game to refresh and try different options. I think a different look at 9 would be worth it. Wouldn’t change it too much but 4-5 changes would prob be enough. In regards to reversing the penalty for yelling in face of opposition I don’t have any issue with esp after being warned. Not a great look and Wood got hooked straight away so guessing Gilmore wasn’t happy as well. This is something that can be easily fixed. Forgot about Frost, he is definitely worth a full game against England to see how he goes , was impressive in his 25 minute cameo. Isn’t it great to really enjoy watching a game of rugby after some of the tripe the aus super rugby sides bring to the table. Watching U20 rugby has put me in a happy place which says something after what rugby supporters have had to endure recently

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
This will probably piss a lot of people off but it's meant as a compliment. Lucas reminds me a lot of Beale. Nippy, good ball skills, got a lot of vision but can be a little lateral. He looks like he can tackle, though. So, a potentially better version of Beale?

Rugby follower

Watty Friend (18)
This will probably piss a lot of people off but it's meant as a compliment. Lucas reminds me a lot of Beale. Nippy, good ball skills, got a lot of vision but can be a little lateral. He looks like he can tackle, though. So, a potentially better version of Beale?

Derpus you have missed one crucial fact one can tackle and one can’t, I’ll let you work out which one can’t.