• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Rugby U20 Championship 2019

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Happy with that result !!!

In fairness Ireland suffered by that score blowout but it was a good tough game of rugby. Ireland were on top for the middle portion of that game. A man down too hard to overcome for them.

Scramble in defence and some great tries to turn it around for us.

Rest up for the next game, lads. :)

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Happy with that result !!!

In fairness Ireland suffered by that score blowout but it was a good tough game of rugby. Ireland were on top for the middle portion of that game. A man down too hard to overcome for them.

Scramble in defence and some great tries to turn it around for us.

Rest up for the next game, lads. :)

Agreed. I hope the Aussie took a few key messages from how Ireland managed that game.

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Australia seem infinitely better than they have in the past. That is for sure.

I am happy for you. Your future looks pretty good.

Just need to keep those players at home.

Who is coaching this side?

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Australia seem infinitely better than they have in the past. That is for sure.

I am happy for you. Your future looks pretty good.

Just need to keep those players at home.

Who is coaching this side?

Probably our best side for several years.

Jason Gilmore is the coach - his second year now at U20s

Ulrich

Nev Cottrell (35)
Probably our best side for several years.

Jason Gilmore is the coach - his second year now at U20s
Him and his team will probably promoted to some Super Rugby role soon. Hopefully together so they can develop further.

They are well coached at the moment.

B

Bobby Sands

Him and his team will probably promoted to some Super Rugby role soon. Hopefully together so they can develop further.

They are well coached at the moment.

Gilmore will definitely coach soup.

Coached schools, club and development rugby. Is very young.

Him, Tattsy Taylor & McKellar (and Cron but he's a kiwi) are the best young Ozzy coaches.

HJ Nelson

Trevor Allan (34)
Staff member
Pretty sure we would be impossible to dislodge from the semi-finals regardless of how we do against England.

From World Rugby web-site

The Junior Wallabies, whose only U20 Championship final appearance came in Argentina in 2010, cannot be knocked off top spot because even if Ireland were match their 10 competition points at the end of play next Wednesday, the tournament rules state that the head-to-head result is the first criteria to split the teams.

TSR

Mark Ella (57)
Very strong performance.

I thought Ireland did very well too given that had 14 men for most of the game and a clearly depleted squad.

But you can only play the opposition in front of you and the Wallabies were great in that regard. The JWs had to absorb a fair bit of pressure in the middle 30 minutes of the game but yes they did well when they turned on the tap. Good performers across the field and it is nice to see some pay coming from doing the basics of draw, pass and back up.

McReight is bloody impressive. On my first viewing of him Frost looks a good pick up for the ACT. Is it too early to start calling the Crusaders the ACT Academy?

The Nomad

Bob Davidson (42)
Just watched the replay on Fox , the last 20 minutes was very impressive, even against 14.

Lucas is brilliant in broken play and counter attack, the more ball he saw the better we looked .

The balance of the backrow is spot on and the impact from the bench really stood out for me . How fast is Frost? And what an athlete! Thought all the forward subs lifted well.

Reg , I reckon this team is looking better with every outing, I’d leave the starting 15 as is and maybe give the bench more time if possible .

Gilmore is doing a great job with this squad.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
From World Rugby web-site

The Junior Wallabies, whose only U20 Championship final appearance came in Argentina in 2010, cannot be knocked off top spot because even if Ireland were match their 10 competition points at the end of play next Wednesday, the tournament rules state that the head-to-head result is the first criteria to split the teams.
Great isn't it. Because England didn't take 5 points we automatically top the pool.

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
So do we rotate the team for England or keep momentum building?
I think they might rest some players. Not too many, but some.
  • Mainly to get freshness back into a few legs - you could see our guys were getting tired in the 2nd half last night … until Ireland themselves hit the wall and our mob ran away with it. The Irish playing England then Australia (mostly a man down) really knackered them. But they bullied Oz in the middle part of the game.
  • With a 28-man bench you can still sub on anyone as needed in the next match.
  • Regarding the ladder – as I make it, there are now six teams in play for the final four - see below. The format sux, but Aus are well placed. France play Argentina so, unless it's a close basketball score with France getting a BP loss then only one of them should make it, likely France. Ireland still have a long shot - but only if they get a massive win against Italy with a BP and one of the top Pool A or C teams lose without a BP.
The boys just have to put on a strong game against the poms. Even a close loss can be enough – and they will know the results of France, Argentina and Ireland before kickoff.

2019 JWC Standings Rd 2.jpg