• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

World Series Rugby: Rd1 Western Force VS Fiji NIB Stadium PerthWA 06:30 PM WST

Status
Not open for further replies.

A mutterer

Chilla Wilson (44)
i thought deegan was a standout for the force. davies and iona looked good.

not sure who the force 4 was but he just ran like he wanted to see just how hard the fijians could tackle.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Fergus Lee-Warner. Reminds me a bit of a young Adam Coleman. Maybe I am just getting hopeful. Wonder how he'd go in a Super side at 6.

S

sidelineview

Fun indeed.
It was enthusiasm on display and understandably so being the first game back for this Lazarus team.
What a great achievement. I hope it rolls on from strength to strength.

I wonder how much these players are being paid? with a view of future recruitment.

Twiggy enjoyed the moment and so he should. He reminded me of a Georgie Piggins who went to a private school.

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Lloyd had a very strong game, and Deegan and Iona were smart in the backline. Best on ground in my view was Force No 4.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
I thought our 9, 10, 12 axis looked good all night. Deegan I like a lot in that 10 slot. Our hands and option taking in the backs were pretty good and there were some nice flat short balls thrown at the gain line, which I've long been a fan of.

dru

Tim Horan (67)
I thought our 9, 10, 12 axis looked good all night. Deegan I like a lot in that 10 slot. Our hands and option taking in the backs were pretty good and there were some nice flat short balls thrown at the gain line, which I've long been a fan of.

I was impressed with Deegan too.

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
Ian Prior was impressive with his leadership of the new player group which was no doubt as to was leading them.

Touch of class for him to get the WF players to join Fiji on the field after the match.

The Fiji players looked overwhelmed by the standing ovation that they were given by the full Eastern Stand after the match.

Great stuff for Rugby.

Thanks Minderoo!!

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)
Best pickup on the run ever likely to be seen.

That pickup could not have been a fluke. I would be confident the player has practised and practised that as a skill, to the point where he was confident that he could do it in a game situation. Looked like he didn't even have any doubt about his ability, he just did it. All skills could be improved if players were serious about practising them over and over until they became second nature.

Rugbynutter39

Michael Lynagh (62)
Ian Prior was impressive with his leadership of the new player group which was no doubt as to was leading them.

Touch of class for him to get the WF players to join Fiji on the field after the match.

The Fiji players looked overwhelmed by the standing ovation that they were given by the full Eastern Stand after the match.

Great stuff for Rugby.

Thanks Minderoo!!

Yep Fiji players all amateur and made for a great game with at times some sublime skills on attack we come to expect from Fijians....just imagine how good they would be in a pro environment.....

SteveWA

Charlie Fox (21)
One highlight for me was the warm applause the Fijian reserves got as they ran towards the south-eastern corner. At first they looked bewildered but then the penny dropped and their smiles could have lit up the stadium.

southsider

Arch Winning (36)
Thoughts from the whole spectacle

Crowd was good, hope they can sustain it for the whole series

The tv production was iffy, could hear presenters talking to each other/support staff when they weren’t supposed to be able to be heard and trying to fit those weird segments with the Fijian team and the comedian really didn’t work - but they will learn from those experiences. Liked that they interviewed players on the field but maybe they should try choosing ones that aren’t bent over trying to get their breath back haha

The skill level was fine but my concern is that it was very stop start - which is to be expected from two teams for their first hitout and while the force may improve in this aspect im concerned a lot of these games will go the same way as a lot of the teams they’re playing against don’t play together regularly/are using this game to test combinations etc

The power try seems to be pretty meh, I wasn’t clear what happens if a power play is started but halfway through the play the defending team infringes and there’s a penalty, is the powerplay still happening or is it stopped? Liked the other rules but feel they need tweaking

ForceFan

Chilla Wilson (44)
A wonderful moment after the end of the Western Force v Fiji World Series Rugby game when ALL of both teams gathered together to give thanks and pray for 2 players injured during the game. (Peter Grant - concussion and Tevita Ratuva - broken lower leg) Well done Ian Prior in urging your team to join the Fijiians.

31945279_10216371206734969_6290022142348099584_o.jpg

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Back in the fifties when the game was on its knees, we had two phenomenally successful inbound tours by Fiji. They played a type of rugby, with a flair, that we had just never seen before (I was a kid, fortunate to be taken to one game by a neighbour who was a member of the SCG).

Maybe this is an omen.

Status
Not open for further replies.