• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Worst Commentator Pole Action

Worst Commentator?

• Total voters

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Gregan's effort on Saturday should gett him an entry. He speaks to quickly and he cant distill his point into something pithy: no wonder Andre Watson got the tom tits with him.
Cant believe Marshall got a nomination - best of the lot, IMO.

waiopehu oldboy

Stirling Mortlock (74)
^^^^^^ nominee for most improved, anyway. Used to be terrible esp when commentating Crusaders & AB, always going out've his way to prove his lack of bias. Now seems to have found the right balance between praising the good stuff & panning the bad stuff regardless of who's playing.

On a not entirely unrelated topic, I see Fox are trying to spin Marto's biggest failing into a positive: feeding him a line about "first thing into head is first thing out your mouth" followed by "I've got enough friends, I don't need to make more". Pass me the barf bag, STAT!

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
For the most part I enjoy Kafer's analysis of the game. At the same time he has an obsession with pointing out that he thinks the ref got the call wrong, particularly when the ref's call went in favour of the Aussie side. literally 5 times a game. It pisses me off. It's like he wants to seem so impartial that he purposefully likes to point out when the aussie teams are getting favourable calls.

At least once a game I tell Kafe to shut the fuck up.

Bairdy

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Can't agree Bairdy. Kafe is very good at doing analysis, but commentary is poor.
I actually thought his commentary for the Brumbies-Canes game was even-handed and spot on, especially on the Brumbies penalty conceding. It is pretty obvious why your opinion diverges from mine.

How about this, if Kafe is a poor commentator, how about you name an Australian commentator that isn't poor.

HighPlainsDrifter

Jimmy Flynn (14)
I actually thought his commentary for the Brumbies-Canes game was even-handed and spot on, especially on the Brumbies penalty conceding. It is pretty obvious why your opinion diverges from mine.

How about this, if Kafe is a poor commentator, how about you name an Australian commentator that isn't poor.

RAY WARREN , Billy Birmingham ...by jingo by crikey !

Brumby Runner

David Wilson (68)

Tim Gavel on local ABC is a very good caller and commentator. Rugby Reg is a good commentator on games streamed by the Reds even if he mis-pronounces Cubelli's name.:)

Kafe is certainly not the worst of the Aussie commentators, just irritating to the point I sometimes turn the sound off. None of the others on Fox, Ch 10 etc is what I'd call good. Some like Horan are so far off the mark that I am constantly surprised he is still used. Marto. :(

IMO Marshall leaves the Aussie commentators for dead.

fo!!ower

Chris McKivat (8)
...name an Australian commentator that isn't poor.

Gordon Bray is top of the tree for mine. Silky smooth voice, good knowledge and doesn't shout players names incessantly every time they make a half line-break (I'm looking at you Greg Clark).

If the Wallabies tests are on Ten HD this year then I'll be watching them there rather than on Fox, just to listen to Bray.

Sean Maloney is improving rapidly too, to the point where he is my favourite Fox commentator now. Definitely from the Ten Sport Big Bash school of commentary - good knowledge mixed with a bit of light hearted fun, but it doesn't come across as forced or try-hardish.

Scoey

Tony Shaw (54)
Rod Kafer is 'Justin Marshall Lite'. Kafe irritates me a little bit but is the best of a bad bunch. The thing going for Kafe though is that he appears to be actively learning the trade and evolving as a commentator, where the rest of them have slammed face first into their theoretical talent ceiling and appeared to now have acquired brain injuries.

BDA

Peter Johnson (47)
I'd like to hear more of Sharpe too. I think he's better than the likes of Horan.

Dismal Pillock

Simon Poidevin (60)
was curious to hear Christian Cullen in the comm box last weekend.

Fairly bland start, maybe careful not to run off at the mouth too much; call it "The Marshall Law". All Sumo Stevenson's clever asides were met with stony silence. Not the best foil but hopefully he grows into it.

Still at least he's not going into coaching.

Jesus.

"OK, this time just run right past everyone, mixing in an imperceptible swerve with a jarring sidestep, at full pace. Got it? Now you try."

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Where's the George Gregan option?

I find myself actively ignoring him when he speaks. He uses 10 words to say what could have been said in 5 with absolutely zero insight.

Surely he's only still there because the Fox idiots signed him to a multi year contract.