• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WTC and Ashes 2023

Sword of Justice

Bill McLean (32)
9 day break now. Heaps of time to recuperate.

I think Hazlewood in and find a way to trust Murphy much more. I would also drop Warner for basically anyone in the squad if Broad is selected, which Baz should let us know 8 days out on form.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I put down to the shit tactics at the end of the 2nd innings we gave away 80 runs for nothing.

Last session day 3 really sucked. If it had kept raining for just 30 more mins we probably get another 50+. Cant blame that though.

Line & length will get rid of Duckett and Crawley. They can’t help themselves as cult members of Baz.

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Yep, we gifted them so many free runs in their first innings. If it wasn't for those extra runs the tail put on we might have clinched it.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The Hoff defintiely back in, for Boland. Scotty's a great bowler but it doesn't appear to be a great match up at the moment.

Our batting is not right at the moment either. Warner is a shot duck (who replaces him in a bigger problem) and Marnus has to fucking knuckle down and stop getting himself out. Smudge is down on run production too.

Moreover, our bowling tactics to England's tail need to change, as plenty of people online have been saying. We can't just keep trying to bounce them out, because it takes nearly every mode of dismissal out. Sure, use the bouncer to keep 'em honest, but maybe aim at the pegs too fellas.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah I think if they are going to continue the attacking style even with the tail you should bowl like it's an ODI at the death which is at the stumps to the tail and use the spinner and there's a good chance for a stumping. There going to swing at the short stuff unless they are a complete mess and it ends up tallying a lot of boundaries.

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
Yep, two pivotal moments in this game: the hour of madness after lunch when England went from being 120+ behind to around 30-40; and Marnus and Smudge's poor dismissals in the last session of day 2.

Agreed Hornet - a couple of critical periods sunk us in this test. I've spoken to a couple of people who have said "at least the series is still alive". Bugger that I wanted us to put our foot on the Pom's throat and win 5-0! No mercy!!

Australia need to show some trust in Murphy. 7 overs in the 1st innings and 2 in the second isn't enough. I realise he isn't Lyon but he is apparently the 2nd best spinner in Australia at the moment and we need to have faith in him. If he is only going to get 9 overs in the test match there is no point in picking him and we might as well give Head and Smith a few overs each and take in 2 allrounders or another batsman. Having said that I think we need a spin option (not Head and Smith). Lyon would have bowled a lot more than 9 overs if he had played so give the young bloke a go!!

Dctarget

John Eales (66)
There's talks of Green moving up to replace Warner and accommodate Marsh at 5. Green can barely stay in for 20 minutes after 6 hours play let alone open. Don't think that's the answer but I understand the attraction to keep Green & Marsh.

If they're not going to use Murphy, bring in Neser instead. Drop Boland for Hoff. Marnus away from home isn't great. I'm more curious about these team selections than the Wallabies..

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
There's talks of Green moving up to replace Warner and accommodate Marsh at 5. Green can barely stay in for 20 minutes after 6 hours play let alone open. Don't think that's the answer but I understand the attraction to keep Green & Marsh.

If they're not going to use Murphy, bring in Neser instead. Drop Boland for Hoff. Marnus away from home isn't great. I'm more curious about these team selections than the Wallabies..

Do we open with Head and Ussie? I like Green but I agree he is not reliable enough at 6 let lone at the top of the order. I nearly think we got more out of Marsh in this test than Green in the past couple unfortunately. Harris and Renshaw are not the answers at this stage either for my way of thinking. I'd like to see Bancroft get another shot one day.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
Yeah there seems to be a real bare patch of Batters below the main group.

Harris (30) I havent seen anything to make me think he's a Test player
Renshaw (27) I think there is a bit of potential there still
Bancroft (30) Probably the one I'd trust the most right now to come in a do a job
Handscomb (32) Used him on the subcontinent recently.

Part of me would love to see a young guy get a run in the team but no idea if any deserve it.

Makes me understand chat about moving Green. He's better than anyone else around and then a guy like Marsh can play.