• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

WTC and Ashes 2023

Agent

Bill Watson (15)
I think there were multiple times in the series that we threw the chance away - but our batsmen not scoring runs, getting out playing silly shots is the biggest issue.

Playing 6 tests in the space of 6 - 7 weeks jammed in between a whole bunch of T-20 cricket also has something to do with it too.

Agreed. We didn’t bat well enough, bowled badly in patches, lost a few crucial moments, and badly missed Nathan Lyon’s calm head. I think we got sucked into the Bazball hype and bowled to suit the Poms plans at times.

Having said that it was a very close series - all results were by less than 50 runs and 3 wickets in the 3rd test I think.

Pfitzy

George Gregan (70)
We were shit. Barely anyone in our lineup enhanced or even maintained their reputation.

Rash shots, rubbish bowling. Critical dropped catches and runouts we'd do in our sleep. FFS to come away 2-2 shows how poor England were at the start.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
The bats in the team really put enormous pressure on our attack, who were also being attacked by England.

We've done well to escape with the Ashes, frankly. We played OK in Birmingham, well at Lord's, OK in Leeds and pretty poorly otherwise. As Pftizy says, we chucked away some opportunities with ordinary catching. Very unlike us, but pressure does funny things to people.

Six tests in seven weeks was also madness and our boys looked absolutely gassed by the end. Never again, please. It does also raise the age old question re: bowlers being captain. Had he not been skipper, I would have been advocating for Pat to have a rest in the lead up to Manchester.

The_Brown_Hornet

John Eales (66)
So....where to from here for this side? Looking ahead to this summer and the return bout against England.

I personally think Warner should be thanked by the selectors for his contribution, but it's time for some new blood at the top of the order. I think there are three Shield games before the first test of the summer and the candidate bats around the country should be told: pile on the runs one of you and the job is yours.

I also think it's time some rotation of the quicks. If fit, Morris and/or Richardson need a run in the top side.

Young Murphy should get another run, possibly in tandem with the GOAT in Sydney or Adelaide.

Big Cam should be told to go away and brain it in the Shield and he's a massive chance to be reinstated at 6.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

Derpus

George Gregan (70)
We were shit. Barely anyone in our lineup enhanced or even maintained their reputation.

Rash shots, rubbish bowling. Critical dropped catches and runouts we'd do in our sleep. FFS to come away 2-2 shows how poor England were at the start.
They wern't exactly on it at the end either. That new ball fiasco might well have saved them from a pretty humiliating chase.

Anyway - the cricket has been entertaining enough that I'm contemplating a trip down to Melbourne over Christmas. Never been the MCG before.

Lindommer

Steve Williams (59)
Staff member
Went to bed at 1:30ish with us at 3/253 needing 130 to win and 7 wickets in hand, WTF happened? :mad:

kiap

Steve Williams (59)
Went to bed at 1:30ish with us at 3/253 needing 130 to win and 7 wickets in hand, WTF happened? :mad:
Shit happens. In the end, we bring home the urn and the mace :p

A replacement ball always rolls the dice. The Oval didn't have something near like-for-like for the umps to choose from; only ones in newer condition.

So they effectively got an early new ball after Khawaja's helmet was dinged near play's end for rain, day four.

F2XBvsRbUAE23Wj

3ELazbV.png

Much better for bowling.

But, overall, the condensed six-Test schedule took a toll. As did the loss of the GOAT.

Sword of Justice

Vay Wilson (31)
They wern't exactly on it at the end either. That new ball fiasco might well have saved them from a pretty humiliating chase.

Anyway - the cricket has been entertaining enough that I'm contemplating a trip down to Melbourne over Christmas. Never been the MCG before.
There's nothing better than watching test cricket at a venue away from your home city.

I've softened slightly in my disappointment noting the 6 tests in 54 days which I hope is never repeated. It's a shame this group couldn't go that one step further but I'm excited for the next gen.