• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

Broadcast options for Australian Rugby

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
When will the broadcasts have the countdown timer for scrums, lineouts and conversions? I am sure it was meant to be this season but I cannot recall it all weekend.

half

Alan Cameron (40)
They've changed the way they report ratings this year. That 736k is "reach", measures anyone who watched for 1 min while the show was on.

The 166k is closer to what the ratings would have been reported last year and previously.

Unfortunately, it means a lot of people watched a little bit, and not very many watched a lot. But 166k is better than what it would have got on Gem.

Matildas did 1.4m reach and 666k total audience as a comparison
Strew

166K on a Saturday night seems great news, my recollection is last year numbers were nowhere 166K. If we keep these ratings the next media deal should be an improvement on the last one.

Crashy

Arch Winning (36)
it was QLD vs NZ so should be a lot higher - but after the state that the game is in, this year was always going to be poor...

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Not sure exactly how closely that average of 166k compares to last years ratings model, but the numbers I could find for last years FTA games were from 67k-76k (5 City Metro). These were all games on GEM so the comparison isn't as direct, but it's still a pretty big jump overall, particularly given it was a late switch.

The Ghost of Raelene

Andrew Slack (58)
I want to see how it tracks when the NRL is also on.

I know a few people that turned it on because it’s a dead spot right now. Probably the only game they’ll watch all year.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Strew

166K on a Saturday night seems great news, my recollection is last year numbers were nowhere 166K. If we keep these ratings the next media deal should be an improvement on the last one.
166k is pretty good for Super Rugby on FTA, but it's shockingly bad for that timeslot on the main channel, even if it's for NSW and qld. So the answer is mixed

The reach (everyone who watched for a min of 1 minute) was much larger than the total audience, which means people watched for a bit , but didn't watch for a long time. The reach was #13 on Saturday night, but the total audience was #25 - a very large drop off

166k in NSW and qld won't be persuading Nine to give up their main channel very often in the future.

Strewthcobber

Mark Ella (57)
Not sure exactly how closely that average of 166k compares to last years ratings model, but the numbers I could find for last years FTA games were from 67k-76k (5 City Metro). These were all games on GEM so the comparison isn't as direct, but it's still a pretty big jump overall, particularly given it was a late switch.
Tavs v Rebels in May 2023 was on the main channel, but only in Sydney. When they do that kind of city split it's usually impossible to find the ratings

And just to add - the lowest rating program that's actually reported on is usually around that 65k mark. Most games last year didn't crack that mark so weren't reported

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
I want to see how it tracks when the NRL is also on.

I know a few people that turned it on because it’s a dead spot right now. Probably the only game they’ll watch all year.

The scheduling of the next Reds game isn't great either. Directly clashes with the Broncos kicking off their season on Sunday over in Vegas.

Surely this is something that could have been avoided? All the Super Rugby are playing out of the same stadium and there are only 2 NRL games the entire weekend and they've been locked in for months. Chuck the Reds on Friday or Saturday and there are no issues.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
The scheduling of the next Reds game isn't great either. Directly clashes with the Broncos kicking off their season on Sunday over in Vegas.

Surely this is something that could have been avoided? All the Super Rugby are playing out of the same stadium and there are only 2 NRL games the entire weekend and they've been locked in for months. Chuck the Reds on Friday or Saturday and there are no issues.

Reds have “historically” played on the Sunday afternoon of super rugby round

where as the broncos are playing at the “historic” season opener in Vegas.

I wish Peter Vlandys was a little more considerate of rugby’s plight.

tbh - need to get over super rugby clashes with other sports and do our best to put best product on the paddock… super rugby scheduling is a little more difficult then the other codes (who usually have controlling interest on stadium infrastructure in this country) … if rugby scheduled the reds fixture after the Vegas announcement - then the faults on RA but let’s not bend over backwards and change our games orders just to appease a couple of extra league eyeballs (won’t even be on 9gem the reds game)

John S

Chilla Wilson (44)
Not sure if it's worth putting here but Stan are not bad at engaging with fans or fan based pods. On Between Two Posts they did a shout out to The Rugby Report Card guys (from GAGR) re a comment they made about the commentary from Reb v Bru game - and a bit of explanation for why it was the way it was.

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
tbh - need to get over super rugby clashes with other sports and do our best to put best product on the paddock… super rugby scheduling is a little more difficult then the other codes (who usually have controlling interest on stadium infrastructure in this country) … if rugby scheduled the reds fixture after the Vegas announcement - then the faults on RA but let’s not bend over backwards and change our games orders just to appease a couple of extra league eyeballs (won’t even be on 9gem the reds game)

Agree no one should be bending over backwards but I disagree that it's just 'league eyeballs' who get affected when there are clashes in games.

The reality is the Super Rugby product is deteriorating but there is still an appetite for sports and entertainment. Those eyeballs usually flick over to league here in Australia. I will never consider myself anything except a rugby boy and will never support anything grassroots except my rugby club. However, I also want to be entertained and watch something with my kids and if that happens to be the NRL or AFL then so be it. The reality of this weekend is now I will likely be watching the Broncos game live and recording the Reds to watch later that night. Not the end of the world.

A bit of a dribble there from me but essentially, I think the gap between a 'league fan' and a 'rugby fan' has been closing in recent years (in terms of what people are watching on tv) and things like schedule clashes for local teams should try and be limited.

I called out the scheduling for this weekend because all the teams are playing at the same venue so the Super Rugby organisers would have more ability to move the Reds to a slot where it wasn't head-to-head with a local rival team.

SouthernX

Peter Johnson (47)
Agree no one should be bending over backwards but I disagree that it's just 'league eyeballs' who get affected when there are clashes in games.

The reality is the Super Rugby product is deteriorating but there is still an appetite for sports and entertainment. Those eyeballs usually flick over to league here in Australia. I will never consider myself anything except a rugby boy and will never support anything grassroots except my rugby club. However, I also want to be entertained and watch something with my kids and if that happens to be the NRL or AFL then so be it. The reality of this weekend is now I will likely be watching the Broncos game live and recording the Reds to watch later that night. Not the end of the world.

A bit of a dribble there from me but essentially, I think the gap between a 'league fan' and a 'rugby fan' has been closing in recent years (in terms of what people are watching on tv) and things like schedule clashes for local teams should try and be limited.

I called out the scheduling for this weekend because all the teams are playing at the same venue so the Super Rugby organisers would have more ability to move the Reds to a slot where it wasn't head-to-head with a local rival team.

people book flights for super rugby round.

Springing a hurricanes fan who’s travelled from NZ to Melbourne with a last minute game change because the “broncos are playing” is just bad look for everyone involved in rugby (except the broncos)

PhilClinton

Geoff Shaw (53)
people book flights for super rugby round.

Springing a hurricanes fan who’s travelled from NZ to Melbourne with a last minute game change because the “broncos are playing” is just bad look for everyone involved in rugby (except the broncos)

Yes fair point, and the comps only officially released their competition draws within 5 days of each other so planning for that would have been difficult.

Same thing going the other way though. I wonder how many corporates are heading to Vegas for the NRL who may have otherwise booked a box/seats at Super Round.

Wilson

David Codey (61)
Looks like Stan have shifted Harrison to the call up this week. I'm still not a huge fan but I thought he did much better here, in a more directed, on topic show with McArdle hosting and keeping everything on track. Sounds like Turinui will do the night before gameday this week which probably lets him do the more detailed preview analysis that he's good at. With Between Two Posts on Monday and Rugby Heaven on Tuesday the line up is starting to take shape. I definitely don't mind having 30 minutes or so of rugby content dropping daily.