• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
OK....here's my first tentative step towards supporting the Wallabies....LOL

10. Barnes. (Is there really any other option?)
11. Ioane
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Fainga'a/Horne (I haven't seen him enough - well, has anyone - but you guys all rate him so I'm prepared to go with him as well until I watch him enough to make up my own mind)
14. My bolter - Lealiifano :)

JOC (James O'Connor) is also a solid 10 and has played a bit there at super level. If Berrick gets a headache expect to see JOC (James O'Connor) move to 10 (although most of us would prefer him at 12). Fainga shouldn't be looked at as a 13, he should be a 12, it's his natural position and Horne absolutely outclasses him in attack. Those of us who have seen the rare occasions when Horne strings a few games together can see he is far and away the best 13 (I actually rate him better than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13).

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
Agree Swat, if I had to rank 13's in this country Horne would be first followed by AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), they are natural outside centre's who can defend and attack. I'd prefer Tapuai at 12 over Fainga'a, with JOC (James O'Connor) and McCabe ahead of both of those guys. Makes you wonder why Tom Carter still isn't being considered..

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
JOC (James O'Connor) is also a solid 10 and has played a bit there at super level. If Berrick gets a headache expect to see JOC (James O'Connor) move to 10 (although most of us would prefer him at 12). Fainga shouldn't be looked at as a 13, he should be a 12, it's his natural position and Horne absolutely outclasses him in attack. Those of us who have seen the rare occasions when Horne strings a few games together can see he is far and away the best 13 (I actually rate him better than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) at 13).

I actually agree with on Fainga'a at 12.

I've said for a long time though that I think the Wallabies best 10 could be Beale. I'm very interested to see if the Rebels play him there much this year. He's better than Cipriani IMO.

I maintain tho that he needs time there. He must start the season (and pre-season obviously) as first choice 10 and see what he can do. I love Beale's balance and his foot-work. I think his maturity has come along in leaps and bounds in the last 2 years. He has a good kicking game and good vision and his long pass game can be worked on. However, a long pass isn't an absolute 'must have' to play 10.

But as this is about the EOYT, those are all just ramblings really....lol.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I actually agree with on Fainga'a at 12.

I've said for a long time though that I think the Wallabies best 10 could be Beale. I'm very interested to see if the Rebels play him there much this year. He's better than Cipriani IMO.

I maintain tho that he needs time there. He must start the season (and pre-season obviously) as first choice 10 and see what he can do. I love Beale's balance and his foot-work. I think his maturity has come along in leaps and bounds in the last 2 years. He has a good kicking game and good vision and his long pass game can be worked on. However, a long pass isn't an absolute 'must have' to play 10.

But as this is about the EOYT, those are all just ramblings really....lol.

I've always been undecided on Beale at 10, he never really did great things from 10 at the Tahs but he was still quite new to super rugby. I can't help but think why would you get rid of potentially the best fullback in the world and put him in 10 but hey, it worked with larkham. That said, with JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale going to the rebels I'd rather have them play 12 and 15 respectively, if Cipriani goes though I wouldn't mind seeing Beale get another run at 10. It's a tough one.

Oh and Light, I wouldn't mind seeing Taps get a call up but I wouldn't rush him straight into the test side. I'd like him to get a run in the squad as none of the other centres have yet cemented their position.

L

LongJohn

I can't see the point in the Spring tour so soon after the World Cup and just before a Xmas break.
That being the case they should pick a lot of the upcoming fringe players. Also only people they are 100% fit, can't see the point of trying ro play them into form over 2 games then they have the best part of six weeks off.
I'd go with blokes like Daley, Dennis, Hanson, Robinson, Gill etc. As for the backline Barnes at 10 and mix the rest around, even for half the game. Could cope a flogging but no harm done.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
I can't see the point in the Spring tour so soon after the World Cup and just before a Xmas break.
That being the case they should pick a lot of the upcoming fringe players. Also only people they are 100% fit, can't see the point of trying ro play them into form over 2 games then they have the best part of six weeks off.
I'd go with blokes like Daley, Dennis, Hanson, Robinson, Gill etc. As for the backline Barnes at 10 and mix the rest around, even for half the game. Could cope a flogging but no harm done.

They are playing a test the best available should be picked

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Agree with Crow that Davies should go. The form winger with Mitchell and Ioane in SXV. But his selection will come down to who Deans wants in the centres. With a defensive pair he is not the winger you want. Throw Horne and JOC (James O'Connor) there who can create space, ask questions of defences and are very good runners that can pass and Davies could be one of the best finishers around. Forget the game vs Somoa. All he got was crap ball close to sideline with centres that cant pass and a backline that hadnt played together with the Crab and Phipps running the show.

waratahjesus

Greg Davis (50)
They are playing a test the best available should be picked

Can't agree enough.
Did we forget samoa already?

We don't have depth. Why send up and comers to Europe and get flogged by the welsh who will be treating it serious and baying for blood and be embarrassed by mortlock and his band of merry men.

It's an Australian team, pick the best in Australia.

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
CLIP ........ and Davies could be one of the best finishers around..............CLIP.

I'd say he'll appear to have grown 10cm in the off season due to an extra long set of studs he no doubt shouted himself after the Samoa debacle. Fuck that was hard to watch.

light

Peter Fenwicke (45)
BaaBaa's
2. kevin mealamu
4. victor matfield
6. jerome kaino
7. adam thomson
8. jason white
9. piri weepu
10. danny cipriani
11. brian habana
12. sonny bill williams
13. stirling mortlock
15. leigh halfpenny

Any others confirmed?

Bullrush

John Hipwell (52)
I've always been undecided on Beale at 10, he never really did great things from 10 at the Tahs but he was still quite new to super rugby. I can't help but think why would you get rid of potentially the best fullback in the world and put him in 10 but hey, it worked with larkham. That said, with JOC (James O'Connor) and Beale going to the rebels I'd rather have them play 12 and 15 respectively, if Cipriani goes though I wouldn't mind seeing Beale get another run at 10. It's a tough one.

Oh and Light, I wouldn't mind seeing Taps get a call up but I wouldn't rush him straight into the test side. I'd like him to get a run in the squad as none of the other centres have yet cemented their position.

The Tahs were on their way to winning a Super title when he went off injured in 2008(?)

And wasn't he the MVP or Player of the Year or whatever it was called for that one year Australia had a NPC-type comp?

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
And wasn't he the MVP or Player of the Year or whatever it was called for that one year Australia had a NPC-type comp?

He did have an absolute blinder of a season in the ARC. I still remember that ridiculous try he scored in the corner when he just ran around the outside of everyone and then dived, flying sideways in the air.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Article in The Australian today confirms Rocky won't tour.

Here's the RWC squad, with the two replacements:

P: Alexander, Kepu, Ma'afu, Slipper
H: Fainga'a, Moore, TPN
Super Rugby: Horwill, Sharpe, Simmons, Vickerman
BR: Elsom, Higginbotham, Hodgson, McCalman, Palu, Pocock, Samo
1/2: Burgess, Genia, Phipps
5/8: Barnes, Cooper
C: AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), A.Fainga'a, Horne, McCabe
B3: Beale, Ioane, Mitchell, JOC (James O'Connor), Turner......L. Morahan
Utility:....B. Lucas

On a similar post earlier in the thread I dropped the 3rd hooker, SF and rested Samo, who is the oldest and would probably need the break before next season. Besides, apart from a couple of runs in the RWC against lesser teams he wasn't much.

But with Rocky out he will probably have to tour as a bench player. So that means 3 players not involved in the RWC will have to tour.

I think that the Wobs should have a 5 day camp and check for the 3 players to add to the team and also to assess any residual niggles to players who are ostensibly fit after the RWC, but may not be.

I'd have hooker S. Fainga'a show up for the camp too and a 3rd scrummie, who wouldn't tour but could be on standby. I would like that to be Nic White, but it will probably be one of the usual suspects like Valentine.

If Kepu is injured another prop will have to go. Everyone is going for Palmer but Deans had Daley in his 40 man squad and later, when Fat Cat was injured, Cowan. Pecker was a reserve in the 1st two 3N matches this year and, notably, replaced Beale with 9 minutes to go against the Boks in Sydney, but played on the side of the scrum IIRR. I'd call in two other props into the camp even if Kepu is fit.

If Giteau was released from his contract at the end of the RWC, and Beale and QC (Quade Cooper) are both crocked, Barnes will need a backup and of a sudden we are wondering who our 5th string flyhalf is.

I had Ben Lucas as a utility to cover 15,10 and 9. Morahan was to be the outside back reserve.

This means one more outsider has to go. Everybody would like a development player but it will be a lightning visit and Deans could take an old stager like Mumm to cover lock and 6, ahead of the inexperienced Wykes, if there are a couple of injuries. No, I wouldn't like it either.

Hawko

Tony Shaw (54)
I hope Daley doesn't go, he should spend every possible minute of the off-season in the gym.

Agree just doesn't cut it. Daley must know that he will never be a decent prop until he learns how to scrummage. He needs to get significantly stronger through gym work and then start to apply that strength to scrummaging. Touring would be absolutely wrong for him.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Any others confirmed?

Mortlock to feature for Barbarians
Former Qantas Wallabies skipper, Stirling Mortlock, has been listed amongst a host of stars to face Australia this November for the Barbarians at Twickenham on Saturday, November 26.

However, it is not just the players catching the headlines, with Rugby World Cup winning coach Graham Henry and his assistant Steve Hansen accepting invitations to coach the Barbarians.

Joining Henry and Hansen in a star-studded line-up will be other headline names from the Rugby World Cup, including several of New Zealand's triumphant squad. Sonny Bill Williams and Keven Mealamu are scheduled to make their second Barbarians' appearance while the All Black debutants include Jerome Kaino, Piri Weepu and Adam Thomson.

Also returning to Barbarian colours are Jamie Roberts and Leigh Halfpenny from Wales and Bryan Habana and Victor Matfield from South Africa. The four last played together when the Barbarians beat New Zealand two years ago - and Habana left his imprint on a pulsating victory with a hat-trick of tries.

The new Barbarians feature a glittering cast of other big names from around the world including Danny Cipriani (England), Jason White (Scotland) and the Wales' trio of record cap-holder Stephen Jones and his namesakes Ryan and Adam Jones.
It'll be very interesting to see who starts and in what position. The Telegraph has reported that Sam Warburton is in the squad as well, and Bakkies Botha had been previously confirmed. How is his Achilles coming along?
I'm guessing Roberts and Mortlock will be the centres, so that leaves Sonny Bill and Habana on the wings. Halfpenny will likely play #15, so either Cipriani or Jones at #10. Personally I'd prefer to see Cipriani but nothing's definite yet so who knows?
Finally, I know there's a plethora of high quality backrowers there in Jones, Kaino, Thomson and White, but I'd would have loved to have seen Dusatoir been picked. Having the player of the year there would have been great.

Possible Barbarians Side (going off who's been selected thus far):
2. Kevin Mealamu
3. Adam Jones
4. Bakkies Botha
5. Victor Matfield
6. Jerome Kaino
7. Sam Warburton
8. Adam Thomson
9. Piri Weepu
10. Danny Cipriani
11. Bryan Habana
12. Jamie Roberts
13. Stirling Mortlock
14. Sonny Bill Williams
15. Leigh Halfpenny
---------------------------
18. Jason White
19. Ryan Jones
21. Stephen Jones

By the way, do the Barbarians still have the 'one uncapped international player' rule? If so, maybe Ben Lucas could feature if he gets the makes the squad. Otherwise that's who the #1 will be IMO.

Status
Not open for further replies.