• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
Kid has so much confidence he would put his hand up for prop if he thought it would mean getting his hands on the ball more often.

JOC (James O'Connor) would need to take a lot more Swisse Ultivites and Swisse Wild Krill Oil before he's tough enough to be a prop.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
You might be right, Keithy, but I'd prefer JOC (James O'Connor) had more space with the ball rather than touches. It's a trade-off with elusive runners like JOC (James O'Connor): time with the pill or space to do his magic.

I like Barnes' steady hand at 10, let's try JOC (James O'Connor) at 12 to see how it goes.

It will work as long as we can get Barnes to stand within 10m of the halfback (and you know I am not talking about 10m across the field).

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I agree that we should start to see some more creative players at 13, and JOC (James O'Connor) is certainly one of the options. I personally spruiked for Giteau being moved to 13 a year or so ago.

A big basher 12 with a light footed 13 could be interesting.

With Quade on the sideline for the next 6 months we have a different scenario developing in our 10/12/13 lineup.

Life outside quade has been like living in a shadow, the attacking focus tended to be either inside balls to 11 / 14 / 15 or to the forwards. Alternatively he used his big and accurate passing skills to go to the edges.

New No 10 bring a different perspective.

It comes down to the skills of the 10 plus the coaches opinion on what he can do and wants to do with those skills.

Personally I would love to see the coach look to have the centres perform a more attack oriented gameplan with lots of set piece moves, I find it very entertaining football to watch. For attack purposes I would be very interested in seeing all of JOC (James O'Connor), Horne, Tapuai, AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), play in the midfield. But not if they get the old 'play whats infront of you' plan. I'm not a fan.

N.B. I didn't like the programming that Eddie Jones put into place for the backs either, maybe more of a middle ground approach.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Inside Shoulder got me there - I thought he was saying he wasn't a big thinker but was too polite to agree with him.

:lmao:

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Little was the man, particularly early on in his career. He and Horan were top quality. Did Little lose a bit of pace after an injury? From memory, he wasn't an auto selection later on in his career. On Sunday I said L Morahan reminds me of Moon. Now someone brings up Little and he seems to remind me of him too. I hope I don't jinx him. According to my nephew who went through school with the Morahan brothers, younger Simon was better at school footy. Be interesting to see how their careers go.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
Would be very happy to see the return of Greg Holmes to test rugby.

I have pressed "agree" to this statement but would like to add an emphatic HELL YES. Anyone watching Holmes in the last few weeks of the Premier Rugby season would be left in little doubt that one of Australia's best scrummagers was left at home for the World Cup. I've been a fan of his since he was a Colt. Class act, and terrific down-to-earth man.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Now that you mention it Holmes could be a possibility for the 4th prop spot I suppose.

I purposely didn't suggest Daley, Palmer or Longbottom because they are a bit younger so the full pre season might be a better option. I suspect ma'afus performance against wales will be his saving grace however. Mind you, ol salesi looks like he might be in need of a full pre season to work off a few pounds before next year.

I don't think we would lose anything by taking Holmes or even Laurie Weeks.

Cat_A

Arch Winning (36)
I'd like to see a return eventually (not just for the spring tour) to picking players on form, not on potential or the ubiquitous "development" side. My major problem with a focus on youth as a policy is that I believe that being selected to represent your country should be a reward for being arguably the best (uninjured) player in the country in that position at that time, not merely an indication that the year of your birth has you likely reaching the "right" age at the next RWC. I believe the skill development of professional players should be largely done at the provincial level where coaches have 9-10months with the same playing group to get the basics down pat, and once they get to National level, leave these alone & trust that being selected in that position means that the player has shown that they can perform the skills required to an excellent standard, and focus on the stuff that needs to be done as a group (eg: set pieces, attacking play, BASIC defensive structure)

I know it's old fashioned and never likely to catch on, but I can dream :)

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Little was the man, particularly early on in his career. He and Horan were top quality. Did Little lose a bit of pace after an injury? From memory, he wasn't an auto selection later on in his career. On Sunday I said L Morahan reminds me of Moon. Now someone brings up Little and he seems to remind me of him too. I hope I don't jinx him. According to my nephew who went through school with the Morahan brothers, younger Simon was better at school footy. Be interesting to see how their careers go.

He wasnt a selection at all later in his career as Herbert took over and little had to move to nsw to get some game time.

Scotty

David Codey (61)
I actually believe the biggest killer of our back line has not been McCabe or even fa'ainga, who hardly ever get the ball in space but Ashley-Cooper who has had quite a few opportunities but never leaves anyone wondering if he is going to pass it or not. It is either dummy or fend.

And before anyone mentions his pass to JOC (James O'Connor) vs wales - even ma'afu would have had the vision to get that out there (and no doubt bleeding ears from JOC (James O'Connor) screaming at him. Incidentally I wonder why fa'ainga was the first man in support instead of AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) in that play. Thought he had to come from further and is most definitely slower than AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper).

Ash

Michael Lynagh (62)

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
In any case, if we get someone of his calibre to play like he did from EOYT 1989 till 1997 when he was first pick at 13 that would more than help.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
May be harsh, but it was entirely correct, and your link proved the point. Herbert appeared on the scene and we wanted as he was a more robust (bigger) player, and Little got shunted to wing.

From '98 onwards Little only got selected as a centre due to injuries. Rest of the time he was on the wing, or reserve outside back.

So let me get this straight: "he wasnt a selection at all later" is code, or French or something, which when translated actually means: He wasnt selected at all later, except when someone was injured or he got picked on the wing or he was picked as a reseve? and it encompasses Little replacing Herbert in the 46th minute of the 1999 final.
Thats odd because "at all" in this context used to mean "never" - funny how language evolves...and in such a short time

Scotty

David Codey (61)
Yep you got it, but it was Spanish. I don't speak any French.

But seriously, I was over exaggerating. Do we really have to be so literal?

Status
Not open for further replies.