• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I don't think they will take many outside of the RWC squad, except for taking injuries into account. Outsiders have played very little significant rugby since the end of the S15.

Maybe Samo will be rested, and I believe that Vickerman, McCabe, Beale and perhaps Kepu won't tour, and Burgess will move on. That makes 24 of the 30 left in NZ for the last game (which includes Turner and Hodgson), and the 3rd hooker will probably be dropped - so that lowers the total to 23.

You'd have to see that 23 written down and see what changes need to be made from a 26 man squad point of view; so the 3 new guys will smooth out the deficiencies. I doubt if they will play much except from the bench in the Baas game; but it will be interesting to see who they will be nevertheless.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ita Vaea wouldn't be far behind...

This lad is a terrific player. Faletau of Wales and Read of NZ show us that you don't have to be a big bopper like Palu or Easter to be effective running over folks and knocking them over - and he is the same. He is very similar to Faletau in many respects including being as hard as nails.

He is a sneaky smokey pick of mine for the 2012 EOYT but 2011 may be a year too early unless Samo is indeed rested. I'd only ever pick him as an 8.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
You and your assumptions - there is a Super season to be played and the old fellow would probably need the rest.

it was a question as to what lay behind your comment. No assumption on my part merely trying to clarify.
If you're only worried about how he comes up for s15 next season as wallaby coach you take him: you'd only rest him from the wallabies if you were looking at him for tests next year.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
I think the core of the squad will pick itself. There'll obviously be some contention for the last couple of seats on the plane to the UK, but I highly doubt we'll see any selections that are completely unprecedented. With Robinson, Vickerman, McCabe, Beale and Cooper all ruled out injured, and Burgess and Giteau both heading to France (Not saying that Giteau was a front-runner, but he's still a great back-up) I think scraping together a party of 26 will be quite a daunting task. I'm guessing the squad makeup will our 1st choice 22 plus a backup prop, loose forward/lock, #10/#12 and a utility outside back. Really hope Tapuai makes the cut and I would really like to see O'Connor/Horne as a centre pairing for at least one match.

Hookers: Stephen Moore, Tatafu Polota-Nau
Props: Sekope Kepu, Ben Alexander, James Slipper, Salesi Ma'afu
Locks: James Horwill (c), Nathan Sharpe, Rob Simmons
Loose Forwards: David Pocock, Ben McCalman, Scott Higginbotham, Rocky Elsom, Radike Samo, Dave Dennis
Scrumhalves: Will Genia, Nick Phipps
Fly-halves: Berrick Barnes, Ben Lucas
Centres: James O'Connor, Rob Horne, Ben Tapuai
Wingers: Digby Ioane, Lachie Turner, Drew Mitchell
Fullback: Adam Ashley-Cooper

Ruggo

Mark Ella (57)
I don't think they will take many outside of the RWC squad, except for taking injuries into account. Outsiders have played very little significant rugby since the end of the S15.

Maybe Samo will be rested, and I believe that Vickerman, McCabe, Beale and perhaps Kepu won't tour, and Burgess will move on. That makes 24 of the 30 left in NZ for the last game (which includes Turner and Hodgson), and the 3rd hooker will probably be dropped - so that lowers the total to 23.

I don't know if the powers to be will see it this way but all the more reason for the more rested to be selected. The Mainstays of the Wallaby side should be given a chance at an off season to freshen up.

If I was a super rugby coach I would be real nervious about my stars going on this tour.

You'd have to see that 23 written down and see what changes need to be made from a 26 man squad point of view; so the 3 new guys will smooth out the deficiencies. I doubt if they will play much except from the bench in the Baas game; but it will be interesting to see who they will be nevertheless.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Ruggo

I would definitely rest Samo who is the oldest but Sharpie is making noises about wanting to go. I'd leave Mitchell at home too even if he is ostensibly fit. I think that both he, Beale and Palu were brought back too early in the RWC and Palu should never have been picked in the first place.

Yes, I would be nervous as a Super coach also but you can't take too many who weren't in the RWC and haven't played meaningful rugby or even trained hard for a while.

Swarley

Thanks for putting all those RWC players plus a few others into categories.

About your team - Kepu may not be right to go but if he does I hope he gets a gig at THP. He did as well as you would have expected him to go at LHP but he was the best Oz THP in Super rugby this year and he has said that it is his preferred position now.

As mentioned above: I wouldn't take Mitchell - and would opt for Morahan. A. Finger will go instead of Taps IMO.

I'd take Hodgson instead of Samo (to be rested); so there are two guys who can play 7- and agree about Dennis, who is as good as anybody to travel with the group as a dogsbody 6/8 and even a reserve lock at a stretch.

Swarley

Bob Loudon (25)
Lee,
Agreed about Kepu- much better at #3 than #1 and hope he gets a run there.

I wouldn't take Mitchell either, I'd take Morahan as well, I just think Robbie will opt for the former. Same as Samo/Hodgson. I really hope Deans takes Tapuai over Ant Fainga'a though. Fingers crossed.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Ruggo

I would definitely rest Samo who is the oldest but Sharpie is making noises about wanting to go. I'd leave Mitchell at home too even if he is ostensibly fit. I think that both he, Beale and Palu were brought back too early in the RWC and Palu should never have been picked in the first place.

Yes, I would be nervous as a Super coach also but you can't take too many who weren't in the RWC and haven't played meaningful rugby or even trained hard for a while.

Swarley

Thanks for putting all those RWC players plus a few others into categories.

About your team - Kepu may not be right to go but if he does I hope he gets a gig at THP. He did as well as you would have expected him to go at LHP but he was the best Oz THP in Super rugby this year and he has said that it is his preferred position now.

As mentioned above: I wouldn't take Mitchell - and would opt for Morahan. A. Finger will go instead of Taps IMO.

I'd take Hodgson instead of Samo (to be rested); so there are two guys who can play 7- and agree about Dennis, who is as good as anybody to travel with the group as a dogsbody 6/8 and even a reserve lock at a stretch.

If the wallabies want samo or any other player for this tour they should take him and let the provinces dangle: pick the best team today for the Wobblies and the rest looks after itself, or begins to.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Hardtackle

Charlie Fox (21)
Those who haven't performed need a rest and think. A big question is who will be the Coaching team. I think it is a foregone conclusion that at least the assistants will be sacrificed.

I would like to see form players rewarded with a tour spot and a lot of development places.

Starting:-

1. Slipper
2. Moore/TPN (the latter only if fully, totally fit)
3. Kepu
4. Horwill
5. Sharpe
6. Higginbum
7. Pocock
8. Samo
9. Genia
10. Barnes
12. JOC (James O'Connor)
13. Horne
11. Ioane
14. Morahan
15. Turner

16. Charles or Hanson probably Hanson
17. Alexander if weather is fine against Welsh, if it is wet and they leave the roof open then select Palmer.
18. Simmons
19. Robinson
20. Phipps
21. Tapuai
22. Lucas

23. S. Fainga'a
24. Palmer
25. Pyle/Wykes - probably Wykes
26. Dennis
27. Elsom
28. A. Fainga'a
29. White
30. ?

I agree gnostic (mostly). I'd just switch AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) for Turner.

Reddy!

Bob Davidson (42)
I just want to see the best players picked and the selections to be sensible, logical and with intention.

Bowside

Peter Johnson (47)
Tapuai must be given a shot. I can't remember our centres managing a line break all tournament. Not good enough, we need more penetration. Horne is a step in the right direction, hope he stays fit...

And gee it seems we're right back to square one with depth at Lock with Vickerman and Sharpe injured and probably on the outer for not being four years younger (fuck RWC cycles, seriously)

I disagree I think tapuai should not be rushed in, we have a ready made 12 in JOC (James O'Connor) and a two capable 13's.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Hardtackle,

Gnostic wrote that before we realised that only 26 will tour.

I don't think they will take Palmer instead of Ma'afu who played and scrummaged well in the 3rd/4th game and directly against 1. Jenkins who is no mug (as 3. James was as a THP - he is the Ospreys LHP). I was also impressed by his diligence around the rucks, something not listed on his CV.

But If Kepu cannot tour then a 4th prop will have to go.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I disagree I think tapuai should not be rushed in, we have a ready made 12 in JOC (James O'Connor) and a two capable 13's.

If Deans is ever going to use JOC (James O'Connor) at 12, this is his chance to do so - at least against the Baas in the 1st game. In the test match there will be a problem defending directly against Roberts, that McCabe dealt with when needed on Friday, but most often it is not mano a mano.

There could be a case for using him on defence at fullback to ease him into the 12 spot. Whatever, the Wobs backline has to evolve and injuries to others should be opportunities..

Athilnaur

Arch Winning (36)
McCabe also did the same vs Nonu. Shut him down repeatedly.

Whatever the concerns we have about his attack (yes, me too) you have to give him credit he has been a superb defender for us.

If he's to get another shot at it he is going to have to do a mountain of work upskilling in the super season. Crazy thing is, you'd be silly to write off his chances of doing it, the guy has a huge work ethic.

Would like to see Horne, Taps and O'Connor in the centre mix for eoyt.

DPK

Peter Sullivan (51)
Faletau of Wales and Read of NZ show us that you don't have to be a big bopper like Palu or Easter to be effective running over folks and knocking them over - and he is the same.

At 6 foot 4, 105 kilos, Read is no pony in the pack, but I agree that the size concerns should be second to effectiveness.

Especially when the Wallabies usually have a 6 who is an effective lineout jumper, like Elsom, and already continue to have problems with body height in contact.

Status
Not open for further replies.