• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2011 Spring Tour

Status
Not open for further replies.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
its got to be JOC (James O'Connor) at 12. Taps should be bench cover for him and 13, and hopefully should get a short 20minute stint in both games. Id be very happy with that.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
With Taps there are 5 centres in the squad if you include JOC (James O'Connor). Hope the guy does well but i saw more value in taking Morahan in his place. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Finger and JOC (James O'Connor) are all currently ahead of him. If anything i think it signals Deans won't look seriously at playing JOC (James O'Connor) at12 despite what he may be eluding to.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
With Taps there are 5 centres in the squad if you include JOC (James O'Connor). Hope the guy does well but i saw more value in taking Morahan in his place. AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper), Horne, Finger and JOC (James O'Connor) are all currently ahead of him. If anything i think it signals Deans won't look seriously at playing JOC (James O'Connor) at12 despite what he may be eluding to.

It seems he is talking about JOC (James O'Connor) at firs receiver...possibly only on phase ball

Bruce Ross

Ken Catchpole (46)

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member

I think it is clear JOC (James O'Connor) won't be starting at 10 or 12 without injury on this trip

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
I'd like to know how Deans is going to sort out our powder puff pack. Maybe once they're working we can worry about the wingers?

I agree with this. France had a wonderful set piece and very nearly stole the WC.

It reminds me of the State of Origin where NSW unveils a new secret weapon every season but they get destroyed by QLD who simply pick the players to do the job they are first and foremost required to do. These players then go and do it.

We need props for scrum dominance. Locks for Lineout dominance. If Ben Alexander scores another try I will still be more interested in how many scrums he was penalised in or was dominated in.

Swat

Chilla Wilson (44)
I agree with this. France had a wonderful set piece and very nearly stole the WC.

What I'm concerned about is our poor set plays, when was the last time you saw a well executed set move in the backs? France 2010? Might be a bit harsh but am I the only one who feels this way?

chasmac

Dave Cowper (27)
What I'm concerned about is our poor set plays, when was the last time you saw a well executed set move in the backs? France 2010? Might be a bit harsh but am I the only one who feels this way?

There's been some good video analysis on this site to support your comment as well.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
I'd like to know how Deans is going to sort out our powder puff pack. Maybe once they're working we can worry about the wingers?

New forwards coach.

Deans doesn't seem to know what is going on and have little input as he is backs 'coach'. Judging by how well they are going maybe its a good thing he doesn't take as much interest in the forwards though Williams certainly isn't up to it.

But to be fair on Williams i don't know how much 'mongrel' can be taught. You have it or you don't. Set piece can certainly improve and that will happen with Robinson fit and Kepu or Slipper at TH with the other on the bench. Line out is the big area of concern as our best pack around the park is well below standard here. But a little bit of mongrel would go a long way, i just don't know that it can work if your players in the levels below national level are generally lacking and then expect those same guys to suddenly be hardmen for the wobs.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
At the very least lets hope he starts at 15.

AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) is a very poor fullback.

I thought it was interesting that in the last podcast clearly stated Richard Graham reckoned JOC (James O'Connor)'s best spot at the moment is in the back 3.

I tend to agree that we need his kick return skills 15 or wing.

biggsy

Chilla Wilson (44)
If Ben Alexander scores another try I will still be more interested in how many scrums he was penalised in or was dominated in.

He Always seems to find himself on the wing or out wide, (i think 2010 he was the leading try scorer for a couple of weeks,and all trys were in the corner where he was hanging out) where the rest of the forwards are busting there guts to get to the break down. It would be nice also to have a back line that can clean out like the All Blacks..

We also need a hooker that hooks.

spectator

Bob Davidson (42)
It's amazing how quickly talent is turned over. Matt To'omua's potential was realised a few years ago but he is all but forgotten at the age of 21. He is, the type of 5/8th who can control a game and revel in the tight stuff. Yes, he had less than stellar S15 but I would have loved to see him on this tour with Quade C injured. He is, to me anyway, one of few players who might showcase better in the very tight arena of International rugby, than the looser stage that is Super.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
As we're only playing two games and taking 26 players, it is a much smaller tour.

The Spring Tour always has far more bolters when it is a 40 man touring party or close to.

Hard to pick To'omua when you're only taking 26.

Status
Not open for further replies.