• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 Australia vs South Africa - 8 Sep

Who will win 2012 Rugby Championship Round 3 Game 1 between SAF and AUS?

• The Men In Gold – Australia

Votes: 52 64.2%
  • The Bokke – South Africa

Votes: 29 35.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.

barbarian

Phil Kearns (64)
Staff member
From viewing the ranker and general opinion on the 321s, I think people have gone a bit over the top praising Shipperley.

He had a solid debut. Didn't do anything brilliant, but didn't fuck up. He played a solid AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) game. Not sure that is enough to send him to #1 on the field. But it should earn a spot for next week.

The Red Baron

Chilla Wilson (44)
From viewing the ranker and general opinion on the 321s, I think people have gone a bit over the top praising Shipperley.

He had a solid debut. Didn't do anything brilliant, but didn't fuck up. He played a solid AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) game. Not sure that is enough to send him to #1 on the field. But it should earn a spot for next week.

I'm going to head over to that thread and give Ships some points right now.

Reido

Sydney Middleton (9)
Just got home, too late to read all 48 pages, but what did you make of the headbutt?
I thought Sharpie was trying get a penalty reversed by trying to milk one. If he got hit a little harder, he may have pulled it off.

ChargerWA

Mark Loane (55)
Just home. Thoughts from the ground:

We got smashed in the tactical kicking duel. Boks were making twice the ground we were on their field kicking.
Digby has bulked up too much and has lost some spark.
Grubbers....AAArrrgghhh.
The backline never really looked brilliant. Both trys came from simple play.
Stoked to win, but not the greatest spectacle. Enjoyed it anyway.

Inside Shoulder

Nathan Sharpe (72)
Just home. Thoughts from the ground:

We got smashed in the tactical kicking duel. Boks were making twice the ground we were on their field kicking.
Digby has bulked up too much and has lost some spark.
Grubbers..AAArrrgghhh.
The backline never really looked brilliant. Both trys came from simple play.
Stoked to win, but not the greatest spectacle. Enjoyed it anyway.
am yet to watch it, but, why are we getting involved in a kicking duel with several of the longest punters in the world?
From what I've read here kicking of any sort was not part of Deans plan.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

vidiot

John Solomon (38)

I'll take solid, breaks some tackles, runs some lines and looks for work, chases kicks, doesn't drop the ball, doesn't miss tackles, counter-rucks.

Did anyone do anything brilliant? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) made consecutive try savers in the same motion. Samo and Timani smashed a couple of people. That was as brilliant as it got.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Just got home, too late to read all 48 pages, but what did you make of the headbutt?
Actually Sluggy,it was dumb but headbutt never connected if it was meant to, I looked at it a couple of times and Sharpe's head didn't move an inch so I doubt if he even saw it to start with.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Can I suggest that ARU have a hunt around for a virgin, I think you need one to sacrifice to appease the rugby gods to stop these bloody injuries too.

Hugh Jarse

Rocky Elsom (76)
Staff member
^^^
One of my Darkness mates frequently tells the old story that Jesus Christ could never have been born in Australia due to the fact that they couldn't find Three Wise Men or a Virgin.

Guess this is one of those sort of "insert the name of the group you want to make fun of" jokes.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
I'll take solid, breaks some tackles, runs some lines and looks for work, chases kicks, doesn't drop the ball, doesn't miss tackles, counter-rucks.

Did anyone do anything brilliant? AAC (Adam Ashley-Cooper) made consecutive try savers in the same motion. Samo and Timani smashed a couple of people. That was as brilliant as it got.

Quades strip at the end was pretty good. In fact welcome back quade, shame about Sanchez. Those 2 are on another level when fit and in form.

Speedy recovery mate, hope to see you come back better than ever soon.

No4918

John Hipwell (52)
Actually Sluggy,it was dumb but headbutt never connected if it was meant to, I looked at it a couple of times and Sharpe's head didn't move an inch so I doubt if he even saw it to start with.

I doubt you did watch it a couple of times if you don't think Sharpe saw it. His reaction was immediate.

Intent is the issue and that looked obvious enough, should not matter if he missed.

Mr Doug

Dick Tooth (41)
This may have already been mentioned, but were our black arm-bands for the passing of John Gillard?

FrankLind

Colin Windon (37)
Up until the Alexander try, neither side looked like they were enjoying their rugby.

Eben Etzebeth thinks he's a hard man. Let's hope his stupid actions continue.

Goosen looked better than Steyn.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
Up until the Alexander try, neither side looked like they were enjoying their rugby.

Eben Etzebeth thinks he's a hard man. Let's hope his stupid actions continue.

Goosen looked better than Steyn.

Thinks he's a hard man? Have you watched him play this year? One stupid action after a Super Rugby season and 5 tests is not a bad return from a 20 year old in his first season. The good he has done has far out-weighed the 1 second brain snap.

Agree on Goosen. He created more panic in the Wallaby defence in the 10 mins he was on the field than Steyn did in his 70 mins (as well as every other minute he has played against them).

Time for Meyer to realise that the Boks don't have the dominant pack of previous years and they can't just accumulate points on the back of the pack and Steyn drop goals/penalties. The pack is not weak, but at this stage, the best they are getting is parity against the stronger teams, so they then need a 10 who is going to bring the rest of the backs into the game.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
Thinks he's a hard man? Have you watched him play this year? One stupid action after a Super Rugby season and 5 tests is not a bad return from a 20 year old in his first season. The good he has done has far out-weighed the 1 second brain snap.

It is a shame. Good young bloke but these brain snaps do a lot more to set a reputation than all the good work.

Brisbok

Cyril Towers (30)
It is a shame. Good young bloke but these brain snaps do a lot more to set a reputation than all the good work.
It is a shame, but until he becomes a repeat offender, or at least commits more than one "stupid action", I don't think he deserves any reputation.

fatprop

George Gregan (70)
Staff member
Strange game, the Boks were in Bulls mode, rumbling forwards with the backs all chasing and sticking the ball in front of them.

But their forwards weren't allowed to rumble by an Aus pack that tackled themselves to a standstill and stopped them getting a role on - they did pretty well.

How we leveraged our ball out wide was another matter

Aus just kept not wanting to take a tackle out-wide, they were all culpableof dumb decisions with Barnes and Cooper the prime culprits. They appeared to be not confident in being able to take the tackle and their cohorts protecting the ball and getting that next phase.

The kicking? Meh, no problem with wanting to play in their half, makes sense.

But they have to be contestable, we need better kicks and a far better chase. Our wingers and centres simply don't work hard enough at creating pressure at contact and chasing. We need the essence and competitiveness of Tom Carter ((without the niggle and more talent) like the ABs backs) throughout the backline.

Status
Not open for further replies.