• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2012 Super Rugby - crowds & TV viewer numbers

Status
Not open for further replies.

p.Tah

John Thornett (49)
After 15 rounds of Super Rugby the crowds and TV viewer number are quite good.

TV viewers (cumulative):
NZ: 9,916,300
Aust: 5,888,000
SA: 34,074,497
Total: 49,878,797

Crowds (cumulative):
NZ: 538,959 (ave. 16,842)
Aust: 633,847 (ave. 18,642)
SA: 852,838 (ave. 26,651)
Total: 2,025,644

NZ and SA figures are higher than 2011, Australian figures are slightly down (I think the Tahs may have been a contributing figure to the decrease!)

With Super Rugby back from its mid-season break - for the June Internationals for the first time - Sanzar revealed that going into the intermission all three territories were tracking beyond comparative numbers from this time last year.

Attendances have been strong, with many fixtures throughout the season setting new records for teams and grounds alike.

Sanzar CEO Greg Peters said this was further proof that Super Rugby was arguably the best international interprovincial competition in world rugby.

"This is the second year Super Rugby has been in its current conference guise with 15 teams, and it is pleasing to note that fans are registering their approval of the new format with record numbers," Peters said.

"The Conference system and increased local derbies are again showing the intense competition within each territory, with grounds, as well as our broadcasting partners revealing some stunning figures."

"In Australia, New Zealand and South Africa the broadcasters have been thrilled with viewing numbers this season, and as a result our stakeholders have been pleased that the current format is yielding desired outcomes."

New Zealand has been seen the biggest growth, with Peters stating that this was exactly the follow on from World Cup that had been hoped for.

"The Legacy Programme implemented by the New Zealand Rugby Union was designed to capture the effects of hosting the third largest sporting event in the world, and as a consequence New Zealanders are watching the game in record numbers."

The cumulative figure continues to rise for NZ with 9 916 300 fans tuning into the 100 matches played to date.

While 2011 had one less match played, with 99 matches played by end of Round 15, a total of 7 458 600 tuned in, seeing 2012 with a considerable increase of 32 percent.

A combined total of 538 959 NZ fans have attended 32 home matches (an average of 16 842 per match) over the first 15 weeks. That is two more matches than the 30 that were played by this time in 2011, with a total of 390 946 (average of 12 217 per match). This represents a 37 percent increase in average crowds per match.

Australia, the boom performer in 2011, spearheaded by the inaugural championship success of the Queensland Reds, has continued to turn in strong numbers.

"Numbers in Australia have been consistent with the remarkable results achieved in 2011, where the Reds title success resulted in new viewing records across the country, while Queensland Rugby has since turned in some great results off the field, maintaining record attendances while shattering membership numbers," Peters said.

After 15 rounds a cumulative total of 5 888 000 fans have viewed the 100 Super Rugby matches in Australia. This average is only slightly down 3 percent on the highs of 2011 and has climbed considerably as the season progresses.

With 34 matches played on home soil, 633 847 Australian fans have attended Super Rugby matches to date (average 18 642 per match). 2011 at Round 15 was one game behind with 33 matches played, but was slightly ahead in the cumulative crowd with 640 910 attending those matches (average of 19 421 per match).

South African viewing numbers continued to increase, while their match attendances were slightly down compared with this time last season - but these figures are likely to change with a host of local derbies to come.

"Once again South Africa continues to pour in strong numbers" Peters said.

"While their numbers are down on this time last season in terms of ground attendance, we expect this figure to jump, especially considering some of the remaining derbies to come in the South African Conference."

A massive cumulative total of 34 074 497 South African fans have tuned into the 100 matches to date. By the end of Round 15 in 2011, 99 matches had been played with a total of 28 658 402 viewers. While only one game less had been played in 2011, the difference of 5 416 095 is a significant gap and therefore a great increase in viewership for South Africa compared to 2011.

A total of 852 838 fans have attended the 32 matches played to date (an average of 26 651 per match). This is two matches less than the 34 that were played by the end of Round 15 in 2011 with a total of 914 249.

There have also been reports of some great viewing numbers in the United Kingdom, with an average of 35 000 live in-home viewers per Super Rugby match.

Peters said that the second stage of the 2012 Super Rugby season would only build the momentum seen over the first 15 rounds.

"With three rounds still to play, we have nine teams still in Super Rugby Finals Series calculations, a heady group including the defending champions, three former Super Rugby winners, and a collection of other contenders who have exceeded expectations this season," Peters said.

"What will make the run home special are the local derbies and that any team is capable of beating any other and upsetting the Finals Series contenders."

http://sport.iafrica.com/rugby/news/802641.html

T

TOCC

Just to clarify, Australian TV Ratings are up its just the crowds which are down... Surprisingly the Tah's haven't rated too badly in 2012, Reds are holding relatively consistent but haven't had any of the blockbusters like the Reds v Crusader games they had in 2011 to substantially boost the ratings.

Rebels, Tahs and Force are all down for crowds in 2012, Reds are holding pretty steady with a average of 30'000, i think the Brumbies have also increased.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
It would be interesting to see the Australian crowds and ratings if all of our teams were firing.

Does anyone know if Melbourne are still averaging more than the Tahs for crowds? I think this was the case a few matches ago

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
Very doubtful. I think Melbourne would be averaging 14k this year. I imagine the tahs would be at least a couple thousand above that.
Aside from the tahs, blues and Christchurch games the rebel crowds have been pretty low (10-12k)

Da Munch

Chris McKivat (8)
What's the TV contracts like for SA and NZ?
Is Super Rugby only on Pay TV (Fox) like Australia?
If it's on Free View, you'd think that'd effect numbers significantly.

Antony

Alex Ross (28)
It's on Sky Sports in NZ - which is pay, but everyone has it (free to air TV in new zealand is horrendous).

Not sure whether Super Sports in South Africa is pay or free to air, but it has the sound of a pay tv channel. Those numbers are surprisingly huge.

Braveheart81

Will Genia (78)
Staff member
I believe Paarlbok said that it was Pay TV, but it is dramatically cheaper than Foxtel in Australia.

With the NBN, I think eventually we will get more Pay TV competition in Australia and prices will eventually come down.

It definitely hurts rugby in Australia that Super 15 is not available on FTA and Pay TV isn't that widely subscribed.

After such a long history of TV being free in Australia, there is a strong inclination for many against paying for it. The fact that you have to sign up for sport as an extra on Foxtel also doesn't help things. I am sure it would be far more heavily subscribed if you could just sign up for sport on Foxtel. Unfortunately sport is their highest drawcard so they are never likely to make it available without paying for other stuff as well.

Viking

Mark Ella (57)
I agree. If Rugby were on FTA it would signifcantly increase the interest in Rugby. Personally I dont have foxtel, 3 years ago there was brief stint of 6 months where my brother bought it and I watched my first season of Super rugby in forever. Then my brother moved out, meaning no more foxtel and no more super games. As i was then hooked, I now stream online to watch the games. Annoying as hell, prefer not to go to the club as it is just not as comfortable as your own home.

The point is, if my brother had not of purchased foxtel briefly a few years ago I probably wouldnt be watching rugby today. Rugby needs to be exposed more to the Aus public. I know many friends who like myself are ex-rugby players but dont have foxtel, they would clearly watch the games if they were easily avaliable. Sadly they are not, and pay TV is just not worth it.

Sir Arthur Higgins

Alan Cameron (40)
I just got foxtel for this season. get basic plus sports and iq and you can get it for as little as $50 a month when the deals are on. another $10 a month for HD.

if i don't go watch a game at the pub once a month, i have paid for it. it's really not that expensive to be fair as long as you just get basic and sports (IQ is great cause you can record all the saffer games)

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I believe Paarlbok said that it was Pay TV, but it is dramatically cheaper than Foxtel in Australia.

With the NBN, I think eventually we will get more Pay TV competition in Australia and prices will eventually come down.

It definitely hurts rugby in Australia that Super 15 is not available on FTA and Pay TV isn't that widely subscribed.

After such a long history of TV being free in Australia, there is a strong inclination for many against paying for it. The fact that you have to sign up for sport as an extra on Foxtel also doesn't help things. I am sure it would be far more heavily subscribed if you could just sign up for sport on Foxtel. Unfortunately sport is their highest drawcard so they are never likely to make it available without paying for other stuff as well.
SS is pay TV but its defnitely not dramatically cheaper. Exchange rate wise just a tad cheaper. Figures show why SA is a bit rugby mad. Expect SA figures to rise in the last three rounds with the local derbies.

PaarlBok

Rod McCall (65)
I just got foxtel for this season. get basic plus sports and iq and you can get it for as little as $50 a month when the deals are on. another $10 a month for HD.

if i don't go watch a game at the pub once a month, i have paid for it. it's really not that expensive to be fair as long as you just get basic and sports (IQ is great cause you can record all the saffer games)
SA its R590 monthly.

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
So not A big difference. Don't understand why more people don't get it. Not too exy and it's glorious

I had it for years and found that all we watched was s14 games and Cricket involving England. Long stretches of time we never even used it. Waste of money for us.

We ended up ditching it for that Internet service that you could subscribe to. Then that ended, very sad day as it was good. As news corp and fairfax are realising, these old business models are dead, we need a way to buy access to what we want without having to pay for a load of shit we don't need.

They'll fuck it up though and try and make us pay for shit they are giving away for free now. Rugby will continue to be non mainstream and suffer or it. Loig have 4 games a week on 9 and afl have 2 or 3 a week in Qld. Rugby has extra time at midnight irregularly on a Tuesday night. Fucking great deal rugby negotiated here.

wamberal

Phil Kearns (64)
Fucking great deal rugby negotiated here.

The last FTA deal did not even have a Super Rugby highlights package. So the current Channel Nine deal is a slight improvement. I suppose the ARU could give the FTA rights away to SBS for nothing. Would that be better, in your opinion?

redstragic

Alan Cameron (40)
And then you'd all be whining about the cost.

No dude, we had that Running Rugby on Demand thing of Supersports that was good, cost about $70 a season, wasn't live but we got to see the games within 4 hours of full time. That was a really good compromise that satisfied whiners like me. When I asked them about why they stopped they said it was cause Fox was not licensing to them. Fox did that 15 minute highlight package on iPads last year which was better than nothing but it is not being done this year as far as I can tell.

liquor box

Greg Davis (50)
The last FTA deal did not even have a Super Rugby highlights package. So the current Channel Nine deal is a slight improvement. I suppose the ARU could give the FTA rights away to SBS for nothing. Would that be better, in your opinion?
This could bring in more advertising from non traditional sources that appeal to an SBS audience a bit more and may make up for the loss of income

Status
Not open for further replies.