• Welcome to the Green and Gold Rugby forums. As you can see we've upgraded the forums to new software. Your old logon details should work, just click the 'Login' button in the top right.

2014 IRB Junior World Championship – New Zealand

Status
Not open for further replies.

Charlie Brown

Chris McKivat (8)
I am currently sitting watching last years final - SA vs NZ. It was fast, extremely physical, and of a very high standard. If these two sides have teams of this calibre this year, our ozzie boys are in trouble! Most of these boys are all super 15 contracted this year and I can see why. It was a great final.

Gibbo

Ron Walden (29)

Attachments

• U20s promo.png
    U20s promo.png
    267 KB · Views: 248

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Just a Reminder about this Saturday's Game - I am sure you will all be at Chatswood to see the action

Watching the Rats and the Under 20s? That's what I call good viewing.

Or watch the Joeys v New trial, hop in the car, and get to Chatswood Oval just in time for the U20s?

Decisions, decisions.

Dan54

Tim Horan (67)
Fox Sports are showing the Australian pool games and the semi finals and final
Bugger is that all!! The first day there is 2 games I really want to watch, Aus/England and JABs and SA, they could set the whole tournament up, guess I'll have to try and find a stream, I was hoping for more as Sky in NZ got every game live so I had hoped Fox might jump on bandwagon!!

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Supply and demand I suppose Dan.

If this wasn't a third world rugby country (in TV product consumption terms - not IRB rankings) they would probably have purchased a package that included more games.

The option they purchased would have cost less.

That's part of the price you paid for living here Dan.

PS - I think that the IRB have a free (and legal) streaming programme.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I expected something like that when Godwin got crocked.

The Reds withheld the services of CFS last year but added a proviso that he could be used in a certain window of time as a replacement player if somebody was injured, and he wasn't needed for Super Rugby.

Turns out that he got injured himself anyway.

I think Burton went OK against the Stormers given how ineptly his team played as a whole. He looked sharp in his decision making about where to be and what to do whether the Force had the ball or didn't.

However, his position in the Under 20s is well-covered by Horwitz and Stewart.

If Burton is withheld I wouldn't be surprised if flyhalf Deegan is called in and Horwitz used as an inside centre exclusively as he was for the NSW U20s at the national champs, outside Deegan.

Horwitz is a similar type of player to Burton and as an EPS player has trained with the Waratahs since October, as well as being a regular First Grade starter for Randwick, albeit at 10.

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
Force should release Burton. It's really only one game and one we will probably lose. Fair enough there is good cover with the U20s but you don't want to have different standards. U20 is more important that Super Rugby when it comes to playing a 20 year old.

T

tranquility

Force should release Burton. It's really only one game and one we will probably lose. Fair enough there is good cover with the U20s but you don't want to have different standards. U20 is more important that Super Rugby when it comes to playing a 20 year old.

It's also a right of passage, winning a junior world cup is an enormous thing. I don"t necessarily think we will win, but he deserves to play the tournament at the maximum age having done well last year.

David Connors

Sydney Middleton (9)
The centre from Queensland Conrad Quick has been called into the squad as cover a couple of days ago. Looks to be cover for Burton in case he is withdrawn

Forcefield

Ken Catchpole (46)
There wasn't much wrong with our pack last year - the issue was in the backs.

Bang on. No spark out of 10/12. I liked the look of Alex Northam though. Jet boots.

We might have done well with a half decent lock to partner Tom Staniforth too. The guy who lost us the game against Ireland for stamping was pretty average.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Tom will be the tight head lock. Matt Philip, who was chosen in 2013 (but was injured and couldn't tour) and was the NSW U20 captain recently, is an athletic-type second rower for the loose head side, and like Tom is a fine lineout jumper.

I don't know Payne and Haylett-Petty, who can both play lock. I look forward to seeing them in action on Saturday night if they get some time in the second row.

There wasn't much wrong with our pack last year - the issue was in the backs.

I thought our forwards individually were very good but I remember how they were outplayed by Ireland (in the pool game) in team attributes—not just set pieces, but in a lot of aspects of play where forwards had to act together.

The Irish weren't bigger or tougher or individually-better, just more pack-oriented. The many little cuts they gave weakened the Aussie performance and they beat us with a modest team.

I didn't question the coaching of the Oz team because it was obvious that the Ireland lads had a history of playing tight rugby and what they did was of second nature to them.

Our style of open rugby owes much to our harder grounds and benign weather, but we have to get those tight-play attributes into our young forwards earlier.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
I saw the U20s train this afternoon and there is still a lot of work to be done.

Coach Adrian Thompson said today that all Super Rugby players will be available for NZ, including Luke Burton.

He told me yesterday that everybody is fit but I note that Jack Dempsey and Andrew Robinson were on light duties, though running, and Tom Staniforth wasn't even doing that.

We shouldn't be reading too much into who starts tomorrow in the second-last warm up game, nor in the last one on Tuesday, but from where they trained today I think tomorrow's team will be:

1. O'Connor
2. Scoble
3. Robertson
4. Payne *
5. Philip
6. Haylett-Petty *
7. Perry
8. Fakaosilea
9. Pulver
10. McIntyre
11. Lacey
12. Stewart
13. Kellaway
14. Vaux
15. Placid

* could swap

Vaux, Horwitz and Kellaway were in front of the Foxtel camera today.

I don't know who won the "definitely" count, but they all had a crack.

Lee Grant

John Eales (66)
Staff member
Don't know because I have seen only the NSW players this year, and them only in selection trials.

But I'll have a better idea after the two games at Chatswood Oval.

Status
Not open for further replies.